• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've never lost to adventurers. I've lost the war against them, strictly speaking, but I've always been able to crack back hard and take everything back.

They're still an absolutely derpy mechanic. While it's reasonable that, barring Imbecile trait, adventurers shouldn't attack unless they have a reasonable chance of taking down their target, there should be a chance that these clowns just can't marshal up enough support to, say, take on the HRE in 900. The game does not allow for that; instead, if an adventurer wants to win against some arbitrarily large realm, the game just hands them a bunch of troops, probably enough to do the job, no strings attached. I'm all for difficulty in games, but this is an example of *false difficulty* - just having random doomstacks spawn, sometimes right in your capital, just to fuck with the player. The inability to deal with them through 'other means' (imprisonment or assassination) is clearly not part of intended play, either; I don't think that PI considered that as a factor to begin with, and hasn't fixed it atm due to laziness. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't imprison an openly treasonous vassal without incurring an opinion malus.

To be frank(ish), those of you who are arguing in favor of the current adventurer system are just arguing in favor of a lower quality, less polished game. Nobody wants the *idea* of them to go away. There are folks who just see the system as unworkable and want to deep-six the whole thing, and there are folks who want to see it made more realistic and immersive, with plots and gathering support and so on. Then there's you guys, who think that random difficulty is a good thing. I can't agree with that.

With Byzantine Empire, I had 3 host armies (two of them were in same time) tried to attack me. They were from Wales and England. But, somehow they couldn't manage to come here with their ships (don't know if they even had one) and I just looted 3x500 coins from banishing them (waiting few years for White Peace and prison them). This makes no sense at all. It's just like game wants me to earn some coins.

With Byzantine Empire, I had 3 host armies (two of them were in same time) tried to attack me. They were from Wales and England. But, somehow they couldn't manage to come here with their ships (don't know if they even had one) and I just looted 3x500 coins from banishing them (waiting few years for White Peace and prison them). This makes no sense at all. It's just like game wants me to earn some coins.

That's a new glitch introduced a few patches ago.

If there were events during the two years that allowed you to try and intervene it would make things much more tolerable I think - i.e. they're touring the courts of other nearby rulers and you try and convince/bribe/force them to imprison the guy for you or not provide support or just something!

Then if/when the guy show's up with his monster host, at least there was something you were able to try and do about it but couldn't succeed; beyond spending the whole game with a stockpile of gold far and away above what you'd need in other situations to click the "I win" button or hire all the mercenaries (again, especially as a very small ruler).

Yes, they are ridiculous.

I recently decided to go back to a pre-RoI game with Ua Briain, where my cousin managed to get 30,000 men to try to take over the HRE. Problem was he shipped them off bit by bit. That and the HRE is huge in this game (Still has territory from the start as well as a good deal of France (Most of De Jure Burgundy as well as several counties across the east of France) and several provinces to the east.)

So yes, they are manageable, but it tends to take one of the two things above if not both: AI stupidity and what army you're packing.

I took over Mauritania as a Norsemen. The entire Muslim royal family of the old Mauritanian regime relocated to the middle of the desert in Africa. I've had 3 separate claimant adventurers. Killed 2 of them but forgot to kill one of them and he came in with 30k troops. My max at the time was maybe 15k? And I was low on levies. And for some reason you can't hire mercenaries as a Norse in Africa.

Yeah that was totally fair...

I took over Mauritania as a Norsemen. The entire Muslim royal family of the old Mauritanian regime relocated to the middle of the desert in Africa. I've had 3 separate claimant adventurers. Killed 2 of them but forgot to kill one of them and he came in with 30k troops. My max at the time was maybe 15k? And I was low on levies. And for some reason you can't hire mercenaries as a Norse in Africa.

Yeah that was totally fair...

Because taking over Mauritania as a norseman is totally fair right?

Why should a former ruler get to pull more men out of his ass then he had before he was deposed? That makes no sense, his powerbase and income are gone; had held gotten help from a neighbor that would be one thing but this is the game arbitrarily giving him a second wind. You can't defend the logic of this because there isn't any behind it.

Why should a former ruler get to pull more men out of his ass then he had before he was deposed? That makes no sense, his powerbase and income are gone; had held gotten help from a neighbor that would be one thing but this is the game arbitrarily giving him a second wind. You can't defend the logic of this because there isn't any behind it.

How was he able to gain the army to take Mauritania? You are OK with one mechanic that makes "magical" troops, but when the other side gets them it is unfair and OP. Please double standards here are pretty bad.

How was he able to gain the army to take Mauritania? You are OK with one mechanic that makes "magical" troops, but when the other side gets them it is unfair and OP. Please double standards here are pretty bad.

Are you talking about Prepared Invasion stacks? I also have issues with those but they aren't nearly insane as hosts, in terms of size and the fact that they persist after the war.

Also, what Raineh said. The comparison is a false equivalency.

Last edited:

If you're talking about Prepared Invasions, there's a thing you're missing--the amount of those troops is based on your prestige and martial ability, there's no guaranteed amount, and it doesn't match to the size of your foe. Thus, the troops in prepared invasions make sense in a way that adventurer troops don't.

In this case the problem is more the fact that there are no mercenaries in Mauritania if you're not Christian or Muslim. It's a little bit odd.

The other problem is that even with my full levies he still greatly outnumbered me. So it's not so much a challenge as it is "put game on speed 5 and roll over and die."

As the Roman Emperor I had a guy with no claims decide to invade me. Too far to assassinate/plot him, so just waited it out. He started on the extreme East edge of the map (above the Himalayas) so I prepared to meet him in Taurica. Had ~50,000 retinue troops and my 12,000 personal troops there, with about 200,000 levy troops sailing in when I saw him. He had 24,000 men. I think it was attrition that did it, but wow.

If you're talking about Prepared Invasions, there's a thing you're missing--the amount of those troops is based on your prestige and martial ability, there's no guaranteed amount, and it doesn't match to the size of your foe. Thus, the troops in prepared invasions make sense in a way that adventurer troops don't.

For what it's worth, I think this particular instance makes a lot of sense. The family that has ruled since time immemoria was forced out by a group of foreign, infidel barbarians. Of course the subjugated people will help their old ruler in propping the status quo back up.

As the Roman Emperor I had a guy with no claims decide to invade me. Too far to assassinate/plot him, so just waited it out. He started on the extreme East edge of the map (above the Himalayas) so I prepared to meet him in Taurica. Had ~50,000 retinue troops and my 12,000 personal troops there, with about 200,000 levy troops sailing in when I saw him. He had 24,000 men. I think it was attrition that did it, but wow.

Yea, adventurers cap at 30k max troops, I think. I noticed the same thing in my RE game.

They're capped at 30k, so once technology has advanced they cease to be a problem and become a nuisance.

That they can be an utter nightmare at one part of the game and free cash later on is another reason the whole mechanic needs to be looked at.

+1 for this needs sorting. Early in my first BE/RE game, and my first game of CK2 with the DLC (so I was new to the whole adventurer lark), I had an adventurer raise twice the total potential army of the BE and come in and hammer me. Restarted as I was a bit shocked by the whole mechanic and hadn't planned for the size of the army (I had the adventurer warning, and ready for a decent sized army, but it was north of 20K and absolutely ridiculous for the time - the host realm of the adventurer couldn't have managed a quarter of that). In my second BE/RE game, when I'd cottoned on that early on you really need to try assassinating them, I've lasted much longer, control all of the med and a good chunk of France, and adventurers aren't scary at all (and very optimistic!)

The mechanic just seems very shallow, historically implausible and cheap from a gameplay perspective. I very much like the idea, but it needs more depth in execution (and like other posters have suggested, if the adventurer doesn't have a hope in hell, and has half a brain, they should rationally choose not to press their claim).