• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I say you should intervene if the Syndies get too powerful. You may also want to ally with the PSA depending on their path.

Or you could seize New England and Alaska, and then declare war on the USA, PSA, American Union, CSA, and Mexico. FOR THE RECLAMATION OF THE COLONIES!

(And also Cuba, Hawaii, and the Philippines, too)

Russia and USA are both in a great mess! To make it even more interesting, Canada is involved in both situations.

@SovietAmerika: A possible future alliance with the PSA is definitely one of my top priorities.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

As America is thrown into chaotic civil war, Canada takes further steps to ensure its security. The Panama Canal zone is abandoned by US garrison forces which are hurredly being recalled to defend MacArthur's regime. Fearful of any power vacuum in the area, Canadian authorities seize the Panama Canal zone in the name of protecting international trade.
seizingthecanal.png

panamacanalf.png

Further north, Canada is now at work taking care of the administration of New England, which Canada has taken under its protection with the beginning of the American Civil War. Local governors and authorities are happy to be safe from the devastation of civil war, but also come forward with the idea of perhaps being granted independence from Canada. After hearing their arguments however, the Prime Minister states that he would prefer to keep New England under Canadian sovereignty, while also extending to its people the same rights and freedoms that citizens in the rest of Canada also enjoy. New England's politicians are soon convinced that Canadian sovereignty is better for their situation, while Canada also goes to work to win over the hearts and minds of New Englander's who are still unconvinced.
keepingnewengland.png

canadianthismanisyourfr.jpg

As fighting rages all over the Eastern United States, the prosperous West Coast states announce their secession from the Union and declare independence. The Pacific States of America is thus born. Meanwhile, Japan seizes control of the island of Guam while Germany announces its intention not to interfere in any way with the American Civil War.
psarevolt.png

Furthermore, Hawaii secedes from the Union and declares independence.
hawaiianrevolt.png

Back at home, the Canadian government discusses its options regarding exactly which faction Canada should support in the American Civil War. After some quick debates and easy choices, it is decided that Canada will throw its support behind MacArthur's Regime with military aid. A Canadian division of volunteers will be sent to reinforce MacArthur's Army, bringing along with them large quantities of supplies such as heavy weapons, vehicles, and cash for purchasing more weapons abroad.
supportingusa.png

canadiansniper1.jpg

Next, as the Canadian government did with New England, its eyes now turn to the far North, to Alaska. Announcing Canadian intentions to protect Alaska from the horrors of Civil War, Canadian troops are ordered to cross the border and take control of the region. RCMP and Canadian Army units are soon in control of the entire territory, bringing Alaska into Canadian hands.
takingalaska.png

alaskataken.png

007461.jpg

Further South, the American Civil War is intensified by the announcement by the Pacific States of America that it will join the war, stating its intention to "liberate" the entire Rocky Mountain's region from the iron grip of MacArthur's regime. PSA troops march eastwards with little resistance since the bulk of MacArthur's forces are tied down trying to hold their ground against punishing AUS and CSA offensives. Also note that Idaho seceded from the union and joined the PSA prior to its entry into the war.
psaassholes.png

Finally, across the Pacific Ocean, the mighty Japanese Empire is having trouble in its restless colonies of Taiwan and Korea. Korean and Taiwanese nationalists rise up in open revolt against the Japanese regime after sensing weakness due to Japan redeploying troops to its home islands to deal with civil unrest. It is unknown how these uprisings will pan out however, as Japan is far more powerful than both rebellious states and still maintains significant military presence in both places.
koreanrebellion.png

taiwanrebellion.png

The frequency of these updates!

I am happy with them!

Also, to which faction did the Japanese send volunteers too?

They usually support PSA (it makes sense as they are interested to see PSA in the Greater East Asia alliance that is centered around Pacific).

Some questions for the author:

1. Did Canada formally anex New England and Alaska as integral parts of Canada (is that what you meant with Canadian soveregnity?), or were they turned into protectorates? If they became integral parts of Canada (receiving status of Province or a Territory), this certainly means that Canada is considering USA to be a dying nation as it would be strange to anex a territories of a state that you recognize and have friendly relations with it. If anexation theory is real, then we might see partnership with PSA instead (plus probably some breakaways from former USA in the South and in the East Coast, something like those Federated States of America or what is that generic revolter called).

2. If relations with PSA will improve (I can see you have -100 relations and PSA is probably also reconsidering about claims on Alaska and even British Columbia, those issues must be solved as soon as possible), Canadian influence in Pacific will even increase and with Hawaii likely falling under Japanese rule, you'll be practically neighbouring Japan. This makes me think...is there a chance to see a partnership with Japan somewhere in the future? If there will be a war with Germans somewhere in a more distant future, Canada can also offer Germn possessions in Pacific to Japanese (basically Japanese-British/Canadian relations should be something like during WW1/pre-WW1 era).

The PSA needs more industry. They're supposed to be prosperous, damnit!

I hope Canada retains control of the seized areas also after the civil war is over. Canada needs all the resources she can get when she's taking on the Union of Britain!

@oberstbrooksy: Im pretty sure it was to the PSA since they didn't send volunteers until the PSA joined the war.

@Asalto: Not yet at least. Right now they are under canadian control but they are not full parts of Canada...yet. Of course I want to keep them, but that depends on what happens with the ACW. If MacArthur wins he may very well let Canada keep both Alaska and New England. If MacArthur loses and the USA dies, then Canada won't have any qualms about joining the war to make sure neither the CSA or AUS win, as well as to take off some more strips of land from the dead United States.

As for Japan, it would be nice if Canada could revive the old Anglo-Japanese treaties of friendship or something, but we shall have to see how things go from here.

@SovietAmerika: They do have more industries, I think an event post independence gives them an industrial boost, which is further increased by industries taken from US territory. IIRC at the point I am ingame they sit at something like 50 base IC.

@Nikolai: Its not so much the resources I want, its the manpower...

@everyone: thanks for the comments!

By late December, 1936, MacArthur's regime is hard pressed from all sides in the 2nd American Civil War. PSA troops are marching eastwards sweeping aside all resistance in their path. In the south, Huey Long's army has overrun nearly all of Texas and Missouri, and has surrounded pockets of US federal resistance along the Mississippi River and in Tennessee. To the North, CSA militias and syndicalist International Brigades units have taken over Indiana and more importantly, have marched victoriously into Washington DC, hoisting the CSA flag high over the White House. MacArthur meanwhile has fled by airplane to the far away city of Denver, all the way in Colorado, vowing never to give up the fight.
americainchaos.png

idriflebar70002.jpg

Events in America have forced Canada to greatly re-evaluate its overall foreign policy goals. In the past British royalists have argued strongly for all of Canada's energies to be devoted to destroying the Union of Britain, but now, Canada needs also to make sure it does not ignore the home front or events in the America's. Canada will not abandon its objective of liberating the British Isles, but it is now less of a priority.
thenewvision.png

Next, Canada establishes an initiative to pool the scientific resources of its allies under the Imperial Scientific And Academic Council program, to result in better research efficiency for many of Canada's allies.
formingtheisac.png

On to international news, the governments of Egypt and Hashemite Arabia form a military alliance with the goal of stripping territory from the Ottoman Empire and changing the balance of power in the Middle East.
araballiance.png

In Europe, the Austro-Hungarian empire goes through its 1937 Ausgleich negotiations on the status of the various states that make up their empire. After some discussions, all of the members of the group decide to form a somewhat tighter federal union, short of all out absorption into Austria. (so now all of those countries are puppet states of Austria ingame.)
ahfederalization.png

Back to the Middle East, Persia joins the Cairo-Riyadh Axis greatly strengthening their alliance against the Ottomans. Meanwhile, the Germans announce that they do not consider the Middle East to be of strategic importance, declaring that they will not get bogged down in the region if the Middle Eastern Axis attacks the Ottoman Empire. The Ottoman regime is therefore alone should the Arabs and Persians attack.
iranjoinsarabs.png

ottosabandoned.png

In America, things for MacArthur start to get desperate. PSA troops take control of Denver, forcing MacArthur's regime to flee the city. In response, the US government comes forward to the PSA asking for peace talks. A delegation of American representatives travels to Sacramento, where they are given the PSA's demands: territorial gains encompasing the entire Rocky Mountains, as well as a US recognition of PSA independence and a treaty of non-aggression. Desperate for peace with the PSA, MacArthur accepts the terms, ending the war in the Western United States. Citizens all over the PSA celebrate their impressive victory and newly won independence.
psavictory.png

Meanwhile, in Germany, German elections for the Reichstag result in the leftist Social Democratic Party winning the majority of seats, resulting in the leader of the SPD, Otto Wells, becoming the new Chancellor of the German Empire. It appears that Germany is becoming a more open and democratic society over time, even though the staunchly conservative German Kaiser is still effectively in total control of the country.
spdingermany.png

Finally, the status of the American Civil War by March 1937, where things seem to have reached a turning point for the US government. Peace with the PSA has allowed MacArthur to secure his western flank, resulting in thousands of soldiers being shipped back east to battle the CSA and AUS forces for the rest of the country. This move appears to have changed the momentum of the entire war, especially in the northeast where the CSA seems to be buckling. Although CSA militias and international brigades control the important cities of Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, New York, and Washington DC, their forces are being cut off and encircled by MacArthur's strengthened federal army, which is surrounding CSA strongholds from the countryside. To the south, Long appears to have experienced some setbacks, losing Arkansas to CSA forces and being stalled in Texas by US forces. Meanwhile, anarchist, ultra nationalist, and various other independent rebel militias have taken control of other parts of American territory, such as parts of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and most of the state of Wisconsin. The war is far from over, but it appears that MacArthur's troops may have finally turned the tide.
acwmarch1937.png

500pxrtspring03.jpg

I count manpower as part of the resources, to be honest.:p

This update was somewhat gut-wrenching. The loss of DC to the Syndicalists, Germany stabbing their Ottoman allies in the back... The only two good things are the PSA's independence as a capitalist democracy and Robert House- I mean Howard Hughes being Vice President.

Debatable. In-game their sliders are to the right, but Huey Long's in favor of wealth redistribution (his Share Our Wealth program).

So its basically a ''the United States is collapsing so we will make a better United states, not called the United states'' sort of nation then?

This update was somewhat gut-wrenching. The loss of DC to the Syndicalists, Germany stabbing their Ottoman allies in the back... The only two good things are the PSA's independence as a capitalist democracy and Robert House- I mean Howard Hughes being Vice President.

Yeah, at least the last picture of the ACW does calm one's nerves down. If the USA can keep their momentum, and get rid of those pockets, then it's 2/3 of the war won for them

I must admit that I'd maybe even prefer AUS taking over USA, but with Canada curbing its power in right time before it would be too late. So Canadians could allow AUS victory under certain demands like removing American claims over New England, Alask etc., recognizing Pacific States of America, (re)create demilitarized border with Canada...I must say that more liberal AUS could even look like improved version of old USA. If Long stays in power and Lidbergh becomes VP, or even becomes Long's successor later, this would look like pretty good situation. But of course in case of hardline factions like those lead Father Coughlin and even Fritz Kuhn getting too much power, then AUS-Canadian partnership is not even considerable.

@SovietAmerika: Im not sure if Howard Hughes being VP will work out so well when he starts crashing airplanes into houses and starts generally going crazy. At least the PSA now owns Las Vegas, so Hughes can get a nice hotel to retire to and go crazy there.

@oberstbrooksy: I have always thought of the AUS as a sorta American take on RL Fascism. Huey Long was strongly against big business but liked big government IIRC, and I have heard that he was regarded as being somewhat anti-democratic as a governor. However its not like the AUS is some kind of super-totalitarian police state, I always think of them to be more equivalent to RL dictatorships like Francoist Spain, Peron's Argentina, etc. They are not democratic, but you should be able to get along well in society...as long as you don't say or do anything political.

@Asalto: An AUS victory might be acceptable, but of course the best ending to the civil war with regards to Canada would be one where Canada gets to eliminate all of the warring factions and put in place a new order in the USA. Its kinda delicate though as Canada does not yet have the massive military strength needed to just declare war on the Americans and waltz into the fight, something I kinda regard as a worse case scenario at this point in the game, since all of my resources are needed for the military buildup needed to liberate the UK.

@everyone: thanks for the comments! I am going to post the update on the next page so it will be on the top. (just needed one more comment! dont be shy about commenting! :laugh: )