• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Personally I haven't been bothered by the random spawns yet. They do spice up the game when they appear in your territory, but I can see how it could get annoying if some extra powerful stuff spawns next to your city. Maybe they sould only appear in the fog of war just like in the Civ series, and stuff spawning next to your city should be an exceptional event, not something commonplace.

I think the monsters should spawn in unclaimed territory (like Barbarians in Civilization games), not in the middle of your empire. But there should be also some limitations to expansion, so such unclaimed territory remains in the game for a longer time.

You do realise that maing them not spawn in the middle of your empire would effectively make them useless? I'm all for adding an option to disable them for those that don't like them, but don't try to go halfway by making a nice feature useless.

Also, what I find annoying is those lairs which generate too powerful creatures early on in a game -- such as the big blue spiders (40 hitpoints). In some games, I have had my early-game expansion stifled because my 1 or 2 original cities were constantly harassed by 40-hitpoint spiders or vampires -- yes, vampires on turn 30!
Wow okay, sounds like the logic for spawns really hasn't changed at all. I guess they just toned down the frequency of them to make it less noticeable.

What I would suggest to the Developers is to tone down the strength of monster-generating random events, at least in the first 50 turns -- and to scale them in relation to the game-setup difficulty level.
Definitely. I'd really like it if stuff like Vampires and Ogres didn't show up until turn 75, and stuff like Elementals until turn 100.

You do realise that maing them not spawn in the middle of your empire would effectively make them useless? I'm all for adding an option to disable them for those that don't like them, but don't try to go halfway by making a nice feature useless.
This. I think it would be a lot better if it was based on terrain, like I was saying earlier. At least that way if you got overrun by elementals you'd know it's because you left a lava field uncovered.

Thought I would chime in with some positive feedback as well: I quite like the addition of "spawn" events- they encourage players to garrison all their cities and reward players who plan for the eventuality of the monster spawns. They also re-inject some life into the "settled" areas, which before hand I would have no reason to revisit aside from new building placement and (maybe) unit production.

I do think the idea of turn-gated spawns is sound: IE, no Ogres before turn 50, no Elementals before turn 75. If a version of this is already in game, bravo for good planning! I've had to deal with the 40 point spiders in my first 10 turns in the base game, well before the addition of Lords of spawn events. That early, sometimes it means an expansion avenue is choked off until later. But I don't consider that a bad thing... it means some games will be different from others. Excellent! Especially as Ino-Co continues to develop the AI into a more challenging form.

I know that the idea of monsters suddenly attacking you was probably to provide you with challenge, but I personally find it to be more annoying then fun.

Up to you. After the first surprise and one lost city in the first game with the new patch I simply regard it as free mana, artifacts and money now. Forces you to keep some units inside your borders (rule of thumb - 1 fo4r 4 cities) and to build some forts/towers for perfectly safe cities, but that´s more than matched by the rain of income. One example - 6.000 mana in stock turn 120 despite using spells every single turn from turn 7 starting. Great addition :).
Regards,
Thorsten

I'm personally fine with it, but I think there should be more variety. Instead of just having monsters everywhere, there should be times when one city (per civ) gets surrounded by monsters.

I'm fine with them. Provided you leave a few units as garrisons, its just free gold/mana/spells. I certainly wouldn't classify them as game breaking.

Arguably they could spread some of the spawns out (having 3 imps spawn together is annoying, if they were ogres I'd have been unimpressed.

Monsters that come from portals are a different matter - its obvious where they come from, so garrison the area nearby. Also some portals don't start spawning until they are used, so don't just poke you nose in and go 'ohh look pretty elementals!'

The spawns can be annoying. I have seen multiple ogre dens show up next to ne of my cities and 2 ogres can smash an unguarded level 5 city in one turn.

Interestngly, it also appears a bit buggy and in later stages of the game, the spawns often show up empty, so they are literally free resources.

Ogre and demonwood population booms are easily overcome with a few green bats or flying serpents. The ogres and demonwoods (or rogues, giant spiders) can't hit fliers and cannot attack towns with flying creature garrisons.

Why? If the lairs spawn units that invade your territory from outside its borders, they will serve their purpose. Have you ever played the Civilization series, where Barbarians invade you from unsettled territory?

The problem with critters spawning only in unclaimed land is that it will promote more city spam just to cover those spots. How about a spell that summons a tower with a giant eyeball on top..areas within the lineof sight of the eyeball dont spawn critters?

Hi,

I like the mobs spawn; the ogres can be a mess and it is fun!
Players who complain must learn to setup a quick response force that stays behind
Plz dont make this game predictable, peeps who want to play chess should stick to it.

Bring more dlc!

Etienne

At the very least, it should be made user-optional. Yes, I know it will show up just how badly the game fails to stop a human player who strategizes flexibly, but that's not meant to be our problem. It's one for the developers who handle the AI.

Why? If the lairs spawn units that invade your territory from outside its borders, they will serve their purpose. Have you ever played the Civilization series, where Barbarians invade you from unsettled territory?

Like VDmitry said we already have the barbarian equalent in neutrals, and the usual monsters. For the record, I'm an avid civ/alpha centauri fan, and the barbarians are only a source of some starting gold, nothing more. They pose no threat if you have even some basic defence. Since that purpose is already fulfilled in this game, i'm assuming the sudden spawns are there, to add some flavour, force you to react from whatever you're doing and apply some sudden pressure. All of those would fail if the spawns came from outside your territory because they would be no threat. And some of the buggers would even get lost in the way. When they pop in the middle of your empire, they attack you immidiately, when outside your territory, they would just in effect refresh the monster lairs and in worst case not come at you at all.

Okay, I don't mind monsters spawning within reason, but I just had two to three Orges spawn for every single city I had. My army was off conquering an opponent and while I managed to kill about half of them and save that many cities, I still lost over half my empire. Also, from what I could see NOT ONE Orge spawned outside my borders (I had bats out looking). I had twelve cities and a total 28 Ogres spawned, I was killing them as soon as I got to them but I could not move fast enough to my back area cities.

I have now abandoned that game as by the time I recover the other two Mages I was fighting will have built back up again. On my last turn they were already attacking the cities I had taken from them, forcing me to split my forces. Large negative food and gold and barely any Mana income, due to supporting the army which I needed to take back my cities, made it a losing situation.

Now, I do like the spawning but there has to be a reasonable limit to it - probably limit the outbreak to an area, not just spam the map 'randomly'.

As an idea we could have options - I would like to see the spawning more able to be tailored through UI settings, something like:

Frequency - None (disabled), Very Rare, Rare, Common
Size - Small, Medium, Large, Overwhelming
Strength - Weak, Average, Strong
Location Of Lairs - Wilds (unihabited regions), Borderlands (wilds + near or just inside city borders), Heart Lands (anywhere basically)

Well, my five cents worth ;)

Last edited:
I like that it forces me to consider defense a bit... usually I go with one ranged unit per city in "safe" parts of my empire, and usually around 1 defender unit per 4 cities, preferably with decent movement.

Usually I've not had every city swamped at once, so I can pull out some of the ranged units nearby to help a city targeted by some unit spawn, and I use fast defenders where my defense is weakest. I've still had some close calls though when getting really pummeled by spawns... and throwing a couple spells helps loads then too...

Forgot to mention, I usually keep both the ranged units and defenders as simplest tier units, and upgrade if needed... so rogue upgraded to cutthroat to help deal with an ogre, and so on... keeps my upkeep down for my defensive army, and keeps me flexible... surprise attack from human player can then also get some resistance while I move my main force around