Please stop messing with this game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

metatoaster

Reticulator of Splines
138 Badges
Jan 8, 2012
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
It seems Magicka was handed over to a new studio (cf. new Pieces Interactive logo on the start screen - though supposedly those guys got bought by THQ Nordic last year?) or to a bunch of programmers somewhere which have clearly no clue about what they're doing, since with the latest updates they're introducing more bugs than they are fixing.

In addition, the main motivation to update the game again seems to be experimenting on players with A/B testing, a word which conjures the worst of the exploitative Mobile industry. This is a classic game that was buggy but playable, can you please stop ruining our experience?

In addition, there are rumors that suddenly you can no longer play with a host that owns a DLC if you don't have it. An exploitative practice that's decried as killing many multiplayer communities through segmentation, all for the purpose of trying to extract extra money from the player base. If it's true, this retroactively removes an important feature from the game and would be struck down as illegal in many jurisdictions.

So, please do one last update to revert Magicka to its pre-experiment state and walk away. That's the best move you can do to stop damaging Paradox's reputation.

Otherwise, at the very least, provide a rollback beta so we can go back to play the classic version.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree, and you are right about the player unable to play with a host who owns the DLC. The only reason I am on the forum, and the only reason i have logged in since the release of magicka 2 is because of this. My friend leaves for a month tomorrow and we all just wanted to play a game we all have and love, now we can't do that. We can't even play the free levels, the game literally crashes every time. Whoever is adding these changes is seriously ruining the game.

Yes, all of this is absolutely and completely stupid

The game now crashes
- Randomly for no reason at any time
- At fixed locations : each time a chapter ends, at the beginning of specific boss fights, etc...

THE GAME IS LITERALLY (like literally literally) UNUSABLE AND UNPLAYABLE AS IS.

Yesterday, with the latest version (1.10.3.8), I wanted to play with a friend who's a magicka newcomer.
Result : 10 crashes in less than an hour, unable to not crash at the first boss fight. (the one with the bicycle-screwdriver-machine-that-was-supposed-to-kill-the-king)
He had to solo two or three bosses since I was constantly crashing to desktop.

I was so mad, I swept through old hard drive backups, and oh glory!
I found a backup of the game, just before all of this shit happened. (version 1.4.16.0)
Result : 4 hours straight of game without a single freaking issue.

To Paradox, THQ or whoever close to this games development is reading this : please, oh please stop breaking everything, and revert the older one that worked.

To the gamers who, just like me, are angry about this : DON'T HESITATE TO LEAVE NEGATIVE STEAM REVIEWS.
Bad advertisement is what they hate.

Oh, looks like this common then? Is there a support team you can write direct to? Because this is a giant pain in the ass. The issue seems to be an 'out of memory' exception for me, and it's been eating more and more of my game; each crash coming faster and faster once I start the game to the point where I now cannot load levels.

I'm amazed by the fact that the timing of this more or less coincides with Paradox going public and Fred stepping down as CEO. I mean, we've see how gaming companies going public often means greed taking over and inspiration and game quality plummetting, but are things really going to shit this quickly?

Bought this game for my sisters so we could play multiplayer, couldn't make it more than ten mins without any crashes... didn't even get through the tutorial without crashes / dcs.

Gettting a refund for them, I hope that you fix the game to how it was so that we fans can actually play it and share it with new players.