• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else find it odd that this game is announced not long after Magna Mundi was "canceled"? Just saying.

Eh, circumstance. MM had internal issues. If you're thinking that they appropriated stuff from MMtG, so far it looks COMPLETELY different. I sincerely doubt it.

Does anyone else find it odd that this game is announced not long after Magna Mundi was "canceled"? Just saying.

I had a feeling this was going to be announced, and I think that is the reason Magna Mundi was scrapped & they didn't try to resuscitate it, as they wanted it out of the way before the news was announced. Right decision by the way. From what I can see it looks very similar to the Crusader Kings Map, which is a positive point.

I think zorkman got this quite right in the other thread.

I hope that they do use some of the concepts that MM had, sure make them paradox's own but that game had a lot of creative ideas there so it could be used to make the game better, things like china's tribituary system, factions, a revamped horde and low tech features are not things that I think are exclusive to MM; but those ideas were neat and I hope to see more neat things in game

EU III was released on january and february 2007, so i don't see any problem here

Well of course, if they did take some ideas do you really think they would come out and say they were?

How little would we think of our players if we did not think they would notice that though?

I can say that us starting to create EUIV has been ongoing for quite some time, long before Paradox Interactive decided to cancel MM.

Well, not that I want this to turn into another epic Magna Mundi thread... you have to remember Magna Mundi was a couple years late. If all had gone according to plan then Magna Mundi would have enjoyed a good year or two of shelf life before EU4 came along.

I think zorkman got this quite right in the other thread.

Yeah, I quite agree with him. Maybe there is a relationship between MM cancellation and EUIV announcement, but it's not what the OP suggests. Simply Magna Mundi was quite late, it risked going out too close to the new EU game, and this was probably a factor in the cancellation decision. Moreover, it could damage the EU brand shortly prior to the new game.

Sure there will be a lot of conspiracy theories though ;-) Anyways, let's consider a simple fact: if Paradox wanted to steal MM ideas, it could simply take them from the mod, without financing and cancelling the game.

Maybe it wants to steal the code of MM itself, and use it for the new game? I really doubt it, as that code was developed on EU3 engine; this game will probably have a new one, so I doubt a 6-year-old engine modified by modders could be that precious. And I doubt that the developers of MM can be techincally more talented than the Paradox ones.

Anyways, it's enough to wait and see right? If the new elements are Framed! events and berber piracy I'll admit something is wrong... But for the little we know this does not seem the case. The new features, so far, are more important roles for the monarchs and a new trade system, while in MM these features where quite close to vanilla EU3 (I think trade was different only for a small mechanic in which some amount of trade goods passed to neighbouring provinces...).

So, really doubt there's a conspiracy... going on the UV forums now could be fun though.

Where did they say that, just to know?

Strategy Informer interview.

Sure there will be a lot of conspiracy theories though ;-) Anyways, let's consider a simple fact: if Paradox wanted to steal MM ideas, it could simply take them from the mod, without financing and cancelling the game.

I think it all ties in with the Knights of St. John. MM was a threat to them as it was meant to expose a lot of facts about the inner workings of the power behind most European Nations. So the Knights used their influence to have it moved out of the way and then they pushed forward EU4 which will probably represent them as nothing more than a generic theocracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.