• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone! I just came back from a conference which kept me busy for all of last week. Once I'm done with some work that has piled up and have some peace of mind again, I'll address the comments and draw an update.

Oh, to quickly answer one comment that caught my eye, Dalip's crown is taken directly from the in-game flag of India as a monarchy. You can find it in the map files.

I came across of a real life pic of our belloved king and it seem that in his late years he was quite bald.. wonder if that'll happen in here as well..

Also there's the matter of sucesion, are there plans for a missus Dalip?

Look at that horrid red colour, and other ones. India must be cleansed of said colours until it's all purple!
Oh God, Dalip is going straight into a absinthe driven nihilist depression. Cool :D ( BtW, nice touch on the liquid shape inside the bottle ;) )

And really, that map needs a cleanup. Too much non-purple there :p
That may happen sooner than you imagine…

YAY! Pan-nationalist absinthe driven delusion incoming :p

You know it! ;)

The Panjabi Nationalist revolts ought to cheer Dalip up a bit.

I think he’s a tad disillusioned with liberal nationalist revolts…

My King, Dalip! The Reactionaries will help you restore the Order and Strength of India, and restore you to your right as Absolute Monarch!

(seriously, Reactionaries can help you undo political advances)

True, but I don’t believe I’ve ever had a game where there were enough of them to roll back reforms (besides a few times very early in some games).

Great update again. Not having played this game at all -- what kind of restrictions in-game is Dalip facing with his new title?

Thanks! The ‘crown from the gutter’ decision, which made him king of India, carries a substantial infamy increase, which means Dalip won’t be starting any offensice wars outside India anytime soon – not that there’s much incentive for that, anyway. Otherwise, not much has changed, gameplay-wise. The transition to a more democratic constitutional monarchy allows more parties to vie for power, which actually increases a player’s political flexibility. In RP terms, however, the restrictions are somewhat more severe...

Of course, it would probably be the case that while Dalip is the constitutional figurehead monarch of India he remains the guy in charge of Panjab, which also happens to be federal India's largest and most powerful state...

That’s a good point. Panjab within India is like Prussia was within the German Empire.

Seems like absinthe is doing wonders...

A lot of the 19th century would probably have been very different in the absence of absinthe…

is Daiip's black robe indicative that he is having a bit of a goth moment ... it does seem as if he's lost his mojo

Nah, he’s been wearing black ever since his days as a romantic in England, and then a university student in France. But he is rather down at the moment.

To be crown king of the gutter is to be a king of the gutter :/
Dalip better find out how to change the laws fast ...

You don’t find crowns that shiny in the gutter, though. And that’s the koh-i-noor on top of that crown. ;)

I actually quite like the borders of this India, looks not too far removed from some of the RL Indian based Empires of yesteryear. Looks like Dalip will be thrown into yet another period of absinthe binges - I wonder what wonderous visions he shall recieve. :)

Me too! (I haven’t drawn the Sublimations page yet…)

Absinthe: because peyote is for American Indians.

Hehe!

Hello Selzro, I read all your previous AARs (just finished the Ionian Islands) and just want to thank you for the excellent entertainment.
This made me try out Panjab too, but in AHD westernizing seems much harder than in vanilla. Anyway I'm looking forward to Dalip's next Adventures :)

Thank you for the nice words! I’ve been trying out AHD as well during the past month, and Panjab seems very slow to westernize in the hands of the AI. I haven’t tried it myself, but considering its low literacy and low starting liberalism, I suspect what I’ve done in vanilla might not be very feasible in the expansion…

¨

There's also a wonderfully ambigious sentence: "Konungen äger att allena styra riket tillsammans med riksdag och regering." That can either mean "The king alone shall rule the country in cooperation with parliament and the government" or "The king shall ONLY rule the country in cooperation with parliament and the government."

Really, it's a masterpiece of saying absolutely nothing. No wonder it laste for 160 years.

Brilliant! :D

That's a very European-looking crown for an Indian monarch like Delip to be wearing...
Maybe he was influenced by his peeps in the Netherlands.

Actually, it’s from here:

Ah, poor Dalip. But otherwise, great job in creating India :) . If you remember though, what did you demand from the British?

I demanded Patna Region and British Ajmer Region. The latter was in the middle of all those independent Indian states in the east, and I didn’t want Britain to influence them too easily.

Great,im a lurker and i finally caught up :p
Welcome! Sorry it had to be in a period of such inactivity…

Will other Indian minors ask to join you if you can sphere them?
I think so, though I’m not sure. I also have CBs to annex them, with lots of juicy prestige in the deal, but the UK might take offence…

haha! i LOVE this. I'm a latecomer but just wanted to throw my hat into the ring here and express my admiration for the comic style of your AAR. The little comics are hilarious. I'll be following!

Many thanks and welcome, robw963! :)

my favorite AAR just keeps getting better keep up the good job, and just seeing dalip with that bottle of what i assume if alcohol makes me think it would be funny if he became a alcoholic.
Heh, I don’t think that’s too likely. Power is far more addictive than alcohol. ;)

Just dropped in to tell you how much I enjoy reading this. It is very well made.
Thank you, Salik!

I came across of a real life pic of our belloved king and it seem that in his late years he was quite bald.. wonder if that'll happen in here as well..

Also there's the matter of sucesion, are there plans for a missus Dalip?

I’ve focused more on his earlier pictures/portraits, and it looks like his baldness takes some time to develop. And since Subcontinental Subtleties renders hair with such a high degree of detail, I can only imagine how difficult it will get for me to accurately portray that trend… ;)

As for a missus Dalip, it’s been in the back of my head ever since he became Maharaja, but I never got any good ideas of how to work it into the story in a funny way. I’m still uncertain, and the story will have to be a bit ambiguous in that regard.

And finally…
When can we be expecting the next update?

I’m not sure. Things have been hectic in more than one ways lately. As I mentioned before I was gone for a week, and during that time (and afterwards) a variety of new projects popped up, vying for my attention. As a result, I haven’t found much time to either draw or play the game until now. I’d say there’s an approximately 25% chance of an update in the next two days and a 75% chance of an update by Sunday.

Finally finally, I'd like to take this chance to remind everyone that there's less than one week left to vote in the AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 (Round 2). The voting procedure has been greatly simplified compared to how it's been recently, so that's one less excuse for you to abstain. :p

Great job! As a Punjabi Sikh, I say you've done a FINE job so far!

However, there is a matter you have neglected to address...one that makes us worry about your legacy

Afghanistan is still free. Kalat is still free. You aren't bordering Iran - these all must be rectified, and soon!

Punjabis instilled fear in the Afghans to this day, you must continue the legacy!

(also, loving the absinthe addiction and his hallucinations...awesome)

You know, this is absolutely the most brilliant AAR ever! Thank you for bucketful of laughs! :)

Awesome AAR, I've been following closely. Keep it up!

Thank you, CptVicky! :)

Great job! As a Punjabi Sikh, I say you've done a FINE job so far!

However, there is a matter you have neglected to address...one that makes us worry about your legacy

Afghanistan is still free. Kalat is still free. You aren't bordering Iran - these all must be rectified, and soon!

Punjabis instilled fear in the Afghans to this day, you must continue the legacy!

(also, loving the absinthe addiction and his hallucinations...awesome)

Thanks! I’m not too knowledgeable about Sikh culture, and I try to fill in most of the gaps through google searches; and still I’m sure I get most things horribly wrong, which is why I try to make up for it with comedy. It’s a relief to find out that a Punjabi Sikh actually finds it enjoyable! :)

Afghanistan and Kalat will have to wait, I’m afraid. Kalat is already in India’s sphere of influence (although that may change in the future) and the more immediate goal is the unification of India. But in the future things might start getting imperial…

This is probably the best AAR I've read, and I've read maaaaaaaaany of them

You know, this is absolutely the most brilliant AAR ever! Thank you for bucketful of laughs! :)

Indeed, this AAR is pure epic!

Thank you, all! :D

Subcontinental Sublimations 44x5: Maharaja's Monologue

This is tremendous. I have no doubt that we will all be wondering the true significance of the crabs. Is Dalip the crab, hemmed in and restricted by the shell of constitutional restriction? Is India the crab, protected by the wise expansion of her Panjabi rulers? Am I lightheaded from reading this, or just because its two in the morning and I'm binging on tea?

Ah, philosophy, quite. :)

How can so few words carry so much meaning? I keep re-reading your last update and each time I come away with a different interpretation. I think you just blew my mind.

Hum, Dalip starts immersed in a green liquid ... OFC that is water :p

Anyway, I still maintain that Dalip should cut his absinthe and use something safer ... say , like good ol'opium :D It would help the Indian economy and all :p