Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #28 - Sneak Peak 1.03 - Combat rework and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Most of these are already in DH full. And there are still free TAGs for modders..

Sure there are TAGS...if I tag share considerably. :p

I already complained about this before, so I'll just end it here. Heh.

Martin should fix country name/flag in save game load though. It makes tag sharing rather hard for the player. Commune of France shows up as France. National France shows up as Vichy. Etc. (Yes, I also complained about this)

hows 1.3 (1.03?) coming along?
any more dev diaries in the pipeline?

thanks

What was the other announced big new feature?

Some wishes for 1.03 and beyond

This is my first post on these forums so please excuse me if I screw anything up.

Firstly I have been a longtime player of DH and Hoi2 in general. There are a few things that bug me about DH in particular whenever I try to play an extended campaign. I really wish you could bomb and damage enemy airplanes on their runways. Historically this way a huge factor in Barbarossa and seems to be missing in DH (AoD had it). Secondly, a lot of the sliders seem to be imbalanced and ahistorical, especially dove/hawk and free market/central planning. I would love to be able to mod sliders more effectively but the modifiers are quite limited. I would like to be able to make hawk give peacetime IC% since a hawk lobby is essentially a push to increase military expenditures. I would also like to be able to add a sort of quality/quantity slider like in EU3 that would handle the unit time/cost aspect possibly weighed against GDE/experience/org/morale, but like I said, the list of slider modifiers in policy_effects is very limited. If there is a way around this I am unaware of please let me know so I don't feel like an idiot.

A few minor things I would love to see in the future would be synthetic oil/synthetic rare plants from AoD. Those seem to add a bit more strategic flexibiliy. Also Aod's feature of having IC affected by infrastructure and concentration. Like I said minor. It might seem like a prefer AoD but the new sweet sweet map, moddability, and decision totally make DH great. Please keep up the great work.

A few minor things I would love to see in the future would be synthetic oil/synthetic rare plants from AoD. Those seem to add a bit more strategic flexibiliy. Also Aod's feature of having IC affected by infrastructure and concentration. Like I said minor. It might seem like a prefer AoD but the new sweet sweet map, moddability, and decision totally make DH great. Please keep up the great work

This had a lengthy discussion a while back and it roughly concluded with the consensus that synthetic oil plants/ rare material plants are hideously unbalanced. As Germany you can build enough oil plants to make taking Baku or allying with Romania pointless :) It also lessens the impact of convoy raiding Britain

This had a lengthy discussion a while back and it roughly concluded with the consensus that synthetic oil plants/ rare material plants are hideously unbalanced. As Germany you can build enough oil plants to make taking Baku or allying with Romania pointless :) It also lessens the impact of convoy raiding Britain

Well as they sat in AoD, yes they could be abused but consider it is another whole research path, they are quite inefficient and are easy strat bombings targets. There should be a way to easily balance them. Also mid-war the Germans were producing about 30% more oil by synthetic process than was coming out of the wells in Romania. Still it was only about 30% of what Russia or the UK was producing and about 4-5% of US production but it was very, very significent.

Another thing I forgot to mention since 1.03 is redoing the land docs is have doctrines modify/increase the command limit. This would be especially true for the soviets since one of the things they did quite well was coordinating huge formations.

Last edited:
No need to rush things IMO. It's better to release a polished patch than a half-assed one which will need hotfixes one day after its release. However, a new DD or more screenshots would be nice :).

I second all motions presented. Happy to wait for it to be ready, but it is nice to hear from the devs on a semi regular basis. Even if it is just "The 5th week of data entry continues, I think my cat is plotting to kill me."

I second all motions presented. Happy to wait for it to be ready, but it is nice to hear from the devs on a semi regular basis. Even if it is just "The 5th week of data entry continues, I think my cat is plotting to kill me."

Don't you want to be surprised? :p

I really like to see continued support for these "3rd party" games, I will buy the game as soon as 1.03 (1.3?) is released.

I wish there was a way for the devs to keep making a bit of money as they not only patch the game but add new content with patches, I really wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to ensure continued support in the form of patches.

Keep up the good work guys!