Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #28 - Sneak Peak 1.03 - Combat rework and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What would that mean practically speaking?

You could create any country ranging from AAA up to ZZZ, imagine the possibilities.

Someone brought up the idea of making separate Soviet republics, that's my favourite idea so far. I know Ukraine had a somewhat separate Red Army structure in 1941, so it's not so far from the truth. Sounds like a lot of work though.

From what I understand all the republics were little more than propaganda and their legislation little more than rubber stamps. Had for example Ukraine voted to leave the Union or not send its soldiers to fight in Finland I seriously doubt Moscow would have let them do that.
Only de-facto nations that should be presented are the ones that already are, like Manchukuo, where at least they pretended to be independent and not just a part of Japan. If Soviet Republics were independent we might just as well make places like Scotland and Åland independent as well.

And what new country would you create then?

Remembering by heart:

AHE: Austro Hungarian Empire (Change from Uxx)
ANT: Antigua & Barbuda
BBD: Barbados
BFS: Burkina Faso/Upper Volta
BGD: Bangladesh
BHM: Bahamas
BLZ: Belize
BRJ: British Raj (Change from Uxx)
CAT: Catalonia
CEY: Ceylon/Sri Lanka (Change from Uxx)
CHA: Chad (Change from Uxx)
CVI: Communist Vietnam (Change from Uxx)
DEI: Dutch East Indies (Change from Uxx)
FMS: French Mandate for Syria (Change from Uxx)
HSR: Hungarian Soviet Republic (Change from Uxx)
IDU: Indochinese Union (Change from Uxx)
IEA: Italian East Africa (Change from Uxx)
KEN: Kenya (Change from Uxx)
KUW: Kuwait (Change from Uxx)
QAT: Qatar (Change from Uxx)
SNG: Singapore (Change from Uxx)
TOG: Togo (Change from Uxx)
UGA: Uganda (Change from Uxx)

Fernando Torres
And what new country would you create then?

For instance, post-colonial African, Caribbean, or Middle East states today as Uxx or missing
Or historical Sates or alt-historical states often used by players and mods : French Mandates, Dutch east Indies, British Raj, Singapore...

Hurry up with the patch the forums are moving again!
Darkest Hour has been demoted.. It's a grade B game now that the big ones like EU3 have their own forum space.

DH is by far the most active of the "Current Games" though.
Classic Games graveyard = death.

You could create any country ranging from AAA up to ZZZ, imagine the possibilities.

A country for every region/province :p

It's easy to come up with an idea for a new country, but it's much harder to create quality content for it. I see no point in adding 150156 new countries if most of them would never appear in most games and half of them would have no ministers (or would have ministers only for one ideology), no TTs and no AI.

But still in some mods this would be very nice to have like 200-300 countries. Imagine the possibilities. A proper MDS scenario with a lot of countries added in, to create a more realistic view. Plus some more country possibilities (more communist versions). I agree though that with new countries (+ possible new tags) there is a need for quality as well, as Cybvep pointed out. New TT's and ministers/leaders at least. However with some mods this would be quite easy to do though :)

Tim

I agree that some mods would benefit from more tags, but look at it from a different perspective - currently minors are not really properly balanced and there is not enough content (not to mention flavour) for them, while puppet AI is often atrocious. I think that we need to get the minors right before adding even more minor countries to the game. Quality > quantity.

Only de-facto nations that should be presented are the ones that already are, like Manchukuo, where at least they pretended to be independent and not just a part of Japan. If Soviet Republics were independent we might just as well make places like Scotland and Åland independent as well.

I wholeheartedly agree. For the same reasons I was always opposed to making Reichskommissariats their own countries in DH; it's like making all the SSRs their own countries, which makes no sense.

Then again it doesn't really bother me at the moment as I don't own DH, though I've been considering buying the game - the additions in 1.3 look quite promising... (I especially like the fact that the DH combat system will become more "AoD-like").

Last edited: