• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nope. And they can't create one (except Venice). In one of my games whole Ireland (and part of Scotland) was one big republic. But there were no "Serene Doge" of Ireland, though they had money and piety for sure. :(
If you have Doges as vassals in your big empire it becomes somewhat annoyance... they want title but you can't give it to them nor they can create it. Sigh.

Thanks for the help!

Is there any way to mod this problem?

Would be cool to have king-tier republics in my empire now that i'm making 171 ducats per month....

Disabling decadence strips you out of it's benefits. Permanent 0%, huh? You can control ot very easily already. Ramadan here, battles there, kill all unnecessary males of your dynasty and you will be near 0-5% all the time.

That totally sucks. I got Spain and France into my sultanate. Now my decadence is up to +2% a month. Thus, 100k strong stack of rebels with no attrition every two years. That is going to kill playing muslims for me :( I don't want to kill all my male children, that has no sense. Im not even a turk!

Anyone know how come I am not able to usurp the "Arab" Empire even though I am fulfilling all the conditions. Everyone is at peace as well.

ScreenShot2012-07-03at83140PM.png

Both me and the Emperor are at peace. Does every single vassal in the Sultanite/Empire need to be at peace as well? If war is an issue it usually says so at the top of the tooltip-toolbox.

No, I am an independent Sultan. Really stumped on what the problem here is. Even tried to swear fealty to get access to plots/depose liege, no plots available except killing my wife, did a war to depose liege but it only installed a different guy unrelated to me.

I loaded up as a Persian Emperor who had conquered everything up to Greece (I wondered why he hadn't usurped the Byzantine Empire yet). It said he needed 50% to usurp the Byzantine Empire and had 60%, shown in red. Looks like a bug.

If the emperor were at war or the character in question's liege, it would state so.

Edit: To create the Arabian Empire in my game requires 80% of the de jure counties, not 50%. My guess would be that you actually require 80% to usurp, and that the tooltip is lying to you on how much you need.

Couple quick questions.
Is there a way to choose your Regent if you're a child king?
Why are there female Duchesses when the laws of their du jure kingdom and empire don't allow females to own land.
And what's the best way to break up a soon to be merging of two Dukedoms, due to the above Duchesses marrying a Duke.
Also, I gave my brothers bishopships, but they are still listed as heirs to a parts of Poland. I thought if they were a bishop they couldn't inherit?

Last edited:
You have no control over your Regent, and the events that cause it to change mock you about how powerless you are.

Why females have land can be pretty complicated. The basic thing here is that the inheritance laws for a Duchy are different to the kingdom and empire that they are in. Setting the laws for a kingdom affects who can be king, and who you can give land to, it doesn't change the duchy laws which the Duke or Duchess can set themselves.

If the Duke and Duchess were previously married to other people you might find that the two dukedoms are actually passing to different people. If not, then you will have to force a way to revoke one of the title. Rebellions or Excommunication are the way without a tyrant penalty, but sometimes the opinion hit is worth it to break up problems early.

I never use the bishop thing. So can't help there.

Just started playing CK2 (w/ expansion). I've played several of the PI titles, so familiar with the learning curve. A few early game questions right off the bat to address notifications at the top of screen.

(1) How do I appoint a guardian?
(2) Where do I reduce vassal levies? I believe I found where it is, but they all didn't disappear. It was an option to raise or reduce.
(3) Where do I press 'de jury Ducal' claims?

-and-

(4) Do I have to go into each vassal's screen to raise funds? I hired some mercs, and my treasury is in the red.

Btw, I just became King of England, somehow. :) Thank heavens England sent forces to me. Thanks in advance.

Just started playing CK2 (w/ expansion). I've played several of the PI titles, so familiar with the learning curve. A few early game questions right off the bat to address notifications at the top of screen.

(2) Where do I reduce vassal levies? I believe I found where it is, but they all didn't disappear. It was an option to raise or reduce.

-and-

(4) Do I have to go into each vassal's screen to raise funds? I hired some mercs, and my treasury is in the red.

Btw, I just became King of England, somehow. :) Thank heavens England sent forces to me. Thanks in advance.

Try here, seriously...

Google: How the Hell Do We Play Crusader Kings 2?

direct link doesn't work

Find the person who you want to be the guardian. Go into diplomacy with them. Choose "educate child". Pick the child first, from the left-most circle if you want it to be from your court, then the guardian from the other circle.

Clicking on the notification at the top that says a child needs a guardian will also take you to diplomacy with yourself and you can select any guardian from your court.

Children may not have guardians until they turn 6.

The military screen (little sword icon, at the top of the screen). There will be red-highlighted buttons to click if you have levies raised from your demesne, from your vassals, or if you have hired some mercenaries.

Declare war on the person outside your realm holding a county de jure in a duchy that you or one of your vassals holds, such as the King of France if you start as Normandy (Vexin is in his realm at the start if I remember correctly, in the duchy of Normandy.)

-and-

I wasn't aware you could raise money from diplomacy with vassals.

Why on earth is my heir, who owns some land, plotting to claim parts of my territory and individual duchies? Doesn't make sense since he is going to inherit the whole damn kingdom (all three of them) soon anyway.

So into my latest game, trying out the Muslims for Sword of Islam, and right now the Iberian peninsula is split into two Muslim dynasties - mine (starting in Granada) and the Abbadids (who started from Seville). I currently own all of Andalusia and Aragon minus Sevilla plus the Emirate of Leon, while Seville has everything else. I guess the quickest way to ask the question is - what's the best way to quickly absorb a sizable rival realm?

The most obvious way I can think of in this scenario is to try and somehow get a strong claimant to the Abbadid emirates into court before they get imprisoned, use the fact that Seville is vassal to the Sultanate of Andalusia title to press their claims to Seville to make them vassals, then press all claims for the vassal to eat the rest of Spain in one fail swoop. However, that just exchanges a dangerous enemy for a dangerous vassal - who will become my biggest rival the moment the 'pressed my claims' modifier expires, if not sooner. I mean, if all goes well and I get to that point, I suppose I could wait till my ruler is likely to die, then rack up the tyranny in the hopes that he'll keel over and let my heir inherit and wipe out all the tyranny modifiers before I totally lose the realm to revolt so that my realm likes me and I no longer have a giant vassal that threatens me, but that seems kind of game-y, and there's no guarantee my ruler will in fact die unless I cheat to kill him.

Other options I can see are a bit 'safer' in the sense that they don't leave me with a giant vassal - but they'll take forever. Marrying my planned heir to the next available young, healthy Abbadid woman who would get claims will allow me to have a grandson for whom I can start pulling pieces of the Abbadids in - but they'll all be weak claims, meaning I'd have to wait till the situation is right to push them, and since I can only press them one at a time, I'm looking at something like 8 wars to get all the claims through. Conquests are only a 5-year peace with no claim requirements, but with that many provinces? Even if I just conquer enough to usurp away all his emirates so that all I'm left to deal with is counts who I could conceivably vassalize via diplomacy, it'll still be something like 15 wars. Any other ideas?