• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I understand what you mean, but the way the game uses the de jure system appears not to be strictly what the term means in the historical sense. It's a combination of that and a gameplay mechanic. I'm not sure if the game even could handle having half the map not follow any de jure rules.

The game as it currently is couldn't handle it.

However, this thread is not for the game as it currently is. It's a gathering point for our wishes for the next version - and one of my biggest ones is to more truthfully represent the different forms of ruling systems in place in this time period.

Another wish from me
- -300 or something sieging penalty for broken armies. Would save the hassle of chasing little 200 people stack all around the kingdom.

Another wish from me
- -300 or something sieging penalty for broken armies. Would save the hassle of chasing little 200 people stack all around the kingdom.

I disagree. If they have enough to siege, they should be able to siege. Unless you raised ALL your levies, you should be able to scrape together a militia in the region and hunt them down, then return those troops home. It's hardly a big deal, and it works just fine.

It would be nice if you could give your armies instructions for how to approach a battle. Like some sort of simple football manager game. For example:

Defence - the army avoids contact with the enemy and in the battle they just try to survive as long as possible. With such a tactic the battle will take a longer time. It can be useful for when you are awaiting reinforcements or just want to halt your enemy.

Minimize losses - the army tries to win the battle with as little losses as possible, which means they won't press some advantages and thus it might take longer time. Useful for when you are confident you will win and you have other battles in mind.

Charge! - win at any cost and as fast as possible! Sacrifize your own numbers in order to win quick. Can be useful when the enemy has reinforcements on the way or you are in a hurry to get to another place.

Another Football Mangager feature could be the filter choice "People known in your realm". That would filter away people living too far away and being too unknown for them to be known in your realm. For example, in Sweden you wouldn't know anyone living in muslim or mongol land, and only very high profile people in southern europe, but most families in england, HRE and around the baltic sea, and everyone living in scandinavia. Of course if there was a crusade the number of known people would include every fellow crusader, and if your neighbour hired a byzantine courtier you would of course know about him as well since he know lived in scandinavia.

I'm not convinced by the battle mechanics. A static army should have a greater bonus against any attacking force. Think Thermopylae. Think Zulu. I know these are extreme examples, however it should always apply to some lesser extent. So, my wish for 1.06 is for more believable battle outcomes.

It would be nice if you could give your armies instructions for how to approach a battle. Like some sort of simple football manager game. For example:

Defence - the army avoids contact with the enemy and in the battle they just try to survive as long as possible. With such a tactic the battle will take a longer time. It can be useful for when you are awaiting reinforcements or just want to halt your enemy.

Minimize losses - the army tries to win the battle with as little losses as possible, which means they won't press some advantages and thus it might take longer time. Useful for when you are confident you will win and you have other battles in mind.

Charge! - win at any cost and as fast as possible! Sacrifize your own numbers in order to win quick. Can be useful when the enemy has reinforcements on the way or you are in a hurry to get to another place.

Another Football Mangager feature could be the filter choice "People known in your realm". That would filter away people living too far away and being too unknown for them to be known in your realm. For example, in Sweden you wouldn't know anyone living in muslim or mongol land, and only very high profile people in southern europe, but most families in england, HRE and around the baltic sea, and everyone living in scandinavia. Of course if there was a crusade the number of known people would include every fellow crusader, and if your neighbour hired a byzantine courtier you would of course know about him as well since he know lived in scandinavia.

Those are actually brilliant ideas!

was probably mentioned before but PLEASE make at least my direct single heir not have the ridiculous Pretender penalty on the relation. If he is ambitious he will try it anyway.
It not only makes landing of your heir an immediate risk (if he will not claim, he will revolt because he hates no matter if you let him eat in the kitchen all day), it also disables you from educating your grandson (as your kid hates you no matter how nice you treated it, again, once the granted land bonus wears off)

Make Lack of Funds more dangerous. Right now it just gives a penalty to Morale, which makes it in times of peace or when I'm not using mercenaries as a irrelevant modifier and can patiently wait for the trasury to recover itself.
On the other hand, when I AM using mercenaries and I get lack of funds, the event to borrow money doesn't come soon enough and I end up having to disband or fight them...

I'm not sure if there has been previous mention of this, but I would like to see some population mechanics added to the game, such as it having to do with how much tax a region gives out. Cities would have better population growths in general compared to castles, and rulers with higher stewardship would see their regions have higher population growth. Additionally, tax levels could also determine the population growth rate, as well as technologies researched (farming).

The game as it currently is couldn't handle it.

However, this thread is not for the game as it currently is. It's a gathering point for our wishes for the next version - and one of my biggest ones is to more truthfully represent the different forms of ruling systems in place in this time period.

What I was getting at is I don't know if that's something they could realistically address in a patch. It seems like very basic game information to me. Not just changing the base mechanics, but allowing the game to basically have several different base mechanics operating at the same time. Now, I'm not a programmer, so I don't know for sure the complexity involved in that. It just strikes me as a layman that this doesn't seem very likely as a simple patch change.

Proposal for minor update. If I start a game in 1066, I can check history of some kingdoms which don't exist. So I can easily check who was king of Italy before and when kingdom disappeared (no title or something like that in history). But when in my game I just recreated kingdom of Norway after it was disbanded somehow by GH, I couldn't see its history and only my rulers were noted there (kingdom wasn't disbanded long time ago, on my court I have even still living claimants, even old king who fled to me. Would be really nice if this will be improved so it will show all history since the beginning (I am playing 1066 scenario off course and history is cleared when kingdom was disbanded)

I also like this idea.

How about fixing this stupid 'granting duchies to someone the other end of the realm' thing? I'm sure I remember reading in some patch notes that it'd had already been done, yet in my current game (Toscana) in 1094, the duke of Dauphine is the count of Passau (in Austria), the duke of Franconia is the count of Lyon (in Dauphine), the duke of Mecklenburg is the count of Kempten (in Bavaria), the duchess of Genoa is the countess of Nurnberg (in Bavaria) and the duke of Ferrara is the count of Nassau (in Thuringia). Not one of them actually owns anything inside their duchies or has any apparent link to them... It doesn't seem as though the problem is occuring anywhere else, just in the HRE, so no idea what's going on here, but it's disrupting my sense of immersion somewhat :(

How about fixing this stupid 'granting duchies to someone the other end of the realm' thing? I'm sure I remember reading in some patch notes that it'd had already been done, yet in my current game (Toscana) in 1094, the duke of Dauphine is the count of Passau (in Austria), the duke of Franconia is the count of Lyon (in Dauphine), the duke of Mecklenburg is the count of Kempten (in Bavaria), the duchess of Genoa is the countess of Nurnberg (in Bavaria) and the duke of Ferrara is the count of Nassau (in Thuringia). Not one of them actually owns anything inside their duchies or has any apparent link to them... It doesn't seem as though the problem is occuring anywhere else, just in the HRE, so no idea what's going on here, but it's disrupting my sense of immersion somewhat :(

Though historically the duchy (and later also electorate) of Saxony is an example of a 'travelling duchy', most dynasties usually got lands, which belonged to their new title. Like the Hohenzollern: Zollern (in Swabia)>Nuremberg>Brandenburg; or the Habsburgs: Habsburg (Aargua, Sundgau)>Austria & Styria.
OTOH initially usually a local noble was promoted, however if titles from one end to the realm are handed to someoneon the other hand of the realm, it would be best if some of the de jure territory is attached to it.

As a vassal I can actively choose to convert to my liege' culture. As a liege, I can demand that my vassal converts to my religion. However, as a liege I cannot demand a culture change. I'd really like it if that were possible. Perhaps even as a plot of some sort.

Failing that, something similar to the local inquisition, but for culture, would be useful as a council action. Probably on the chancellor or steward.

As a vassal I can actively choose to convert to my liege' culture. As a liege, I can demand that my vassal converts to my religion. However, as a liege I cannot demand a culture change. I'd really like it if that were possible. Perhaps even as a plot of some sort.

Failing that, something similar to the local inquisition, but for culture, would be useful as a council action. Probably on the chancellor or steward.
The religious conversion aspect makes sense, but I don't really agree with being able to change culture at the click of a button -- or indeed being able to request someone else do so. It's better if culture is handled generationally via education or specific events such as the English Melting Pot.

As a vassal I can convert at the click of a button.

If not at a single click, then I think the council action idea would work - it would take time, but by sending your councillor there to actively educate (as you say) it can happen quicker.