• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
one last big push and the war is won. I hope you don't get a superstack of doom in Moscow.

What directions will you take after USSR?

Sealion?

USA?

one last big push and the war is won. I hope you don't get a superstack of doom in Moscow.

Sealion?

USA?

May I suggest a white peace with a just kidding attached. :rofl:

I hope you will update soon!!:ninja:

This AAR convinced me to buy HoI 3, haven't played the series since I was like 10 or so when my cousin gave me a pack of paradox games for my birthday including the original HoI, which horribly confused me and I think I lost to Poland as Germany my first game... I am only on page 117 atm, but I want to say all the way back your battle of the Channel Islands was one of the best battle scenes I have read in an AAR anywhere.

hey Uriah,

still loving the AAR, missing the regular updates though :p

I'd love to read the AAR of your boardgame :D

/Krogzar

I second that one :)

I accidentally took a look at the creation date for this thread.. 25/10/2009... o_O

we're in the third year here :)

Last edited:
Hello Uriah. Yes octobersky92 is a reference to my conception. 1992 is my birthdate but the october sky is my favorite movie. I'm very new here so I don't know how to reply to your sentence with the quotations like in all the other peoples posts.

Last edited:
Moscow is sooo close, it seems you will get there before winter after all :)

The attack on Moscow started on the 12th.

I have been away for awhile and am happy to see three pages to read. You should be able to knock of Moscow, as long as the AI doesn't fret too much about the strength in it. Once you have that, you can start looking for your winter lines. I don't see how the Soviets can recover once they lose both Leningrad and Moscow. Make sure you cut off the Murmansk route. In spring, you will be able to concentrate on the South and try and get the bitter peace to fire. Great updates as usual.
Hope you had a good holiday time.

I have only played a littel ahead (to the 17th I think) and Moscow is still holding. Weather still OK but ice is getting close to the Fropnt in the north.

Taking out Moscow is going to really screw with the Soviets supply and resources isnt it. All resources will be lost, right?

As far as I know yes, we capture the stockpiles.

Pretty much all that supply and resources (such as oil) get sent back to Berlin. So yeah, russia will be in big time trouble.

A lot will be wastewd as I have plenty of everything: RM is about the only think I use more than I produce. But nice to slacken supply prod for a little while

Sealion?

USA?

No superstack: but it is being reinforced. As for post USSR: let me beat them first! But next moves depend on the USA.

May I suggest a white peace with a just kidding attached. :rofl:

Tell them I have my fingers crossed.

I have actually been wondering whether to take a peace if offered or just keep going and see how it goes.

I hope you will update soon!!:ninja:

Sorry - been very busy with RL, board games, distracted for a few days playing Civ 5 for a break etc.

This AAR convinced me to buy HoI 3, haven't played the series since I was like 10 or so when my cousin gave me a pack of paradox games for my birthday including the original HoI, which horribly confused me and I think I lost to Poland as Germany my first game... I am only on page 117 atm, but I want to say all the way back your battle of the Channel Islands was one of the best battle scenes I have read in an AAR anywhere.

Glad I have encouraged at least one person to give it a go. One of my aims was to get across how much I enjoyed playing this game, even if it is sometimes frustrating. (Letting the AI run things made this worse to start but now I just accept that orders get ignored, misread or incompetently carried out.)

I lost to Poland several times with HOI1. I don't think I ever played it properly. But I still loved every minute. (Until HOI2!)

hey Uriah,

still loving the AAR, missing the regular updates though :p

/Krogzar

The boardgame is pretty slow: we have only played two complete turns. But if you want to see how it is going, here is a link.

http://gb2eatgcbaar.blogspot.com.au/

You have to start at the bottom.

I second that one :)

I accidentally took a look at the creation date for this thread.. 25/10/2009... o_O

Please don't remind me: I thought it would only be a few months when I started but I think I got carried away.

Hello Uriah. Yes octobersky92 is a reference to my conception. 1992 is my birthdate but the october sky is my favorite movie. I'm very new here so I don't know how to reply to your sentence with the quotations like in all the other peoples posts.

Thanks Octobersky92: I hoped it was not too impertinent to suggest.

To include quotes, simply choose the "reply with quote' or "multiple quote" button on the bottom right of the post.

Sorry to all for the delay but shouldn't be long for 8th - 14th. I have written it and am just doing the calcs and editing the images. Give me a day or so. Would have finished it but got tickets to baseball final and it was a 13 innings game. And freezing (well, below 20C at 7PM). From October to March I usually only wear shorts and T-shirt. And it rained a week ago! In February!!! Gott im Himmel!! The end of the world is nigh!

I lost to Poland several times with HOI1. I don't think I ever played it properly. But I still loved every minute. (Until HOI2!)

I had a similar experience. In my first game ever I try the recommended '39 scenario of playing Germany vs. Poland, and somehow a Polish unit gets behind my lines. I'm now chasing it all over Germany and watching the little fire graphics pop up in my territories as the Poles pillage. So I'm thinking to myself, `this isn't a WWII game, it's just EU with WWII graphics` and dumped the series until HOI3.

Let's hope the frost doesn't move too quickly, we all know what happens to armies that fail to take Moscow before the full onset of winter. Of course, Napoleon discovered that even taking Moscow itself doesn't always help!

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Wednesday 8th to Tuesday 14th October 1941

Berlin

Minister for Foreign Affairs, Joachim von Ribbentrop, who has been very quiet lately, flagged an important announcement in Berlin on the morning of the 8th. What could it be? Has Finland succumbed to our long and expensive diplomatic campaign and joined the Axis? Has the USA confirmed its neutrality? Has a Ukraine government been recognised by Germany? Nothing so exciting. In a magnificent hall festooned with flags and bunting, the Minister announced we have a new ally: Yunnan.

The response was less than he expected. Instead of rousing cheers and applause, one half of the crowd of dignitories was asking the other half “Where is that?”

Perhaps the news was better received in Tokyo: the addition of 30 infantry, 6 cavalry and half a dozen militia brigades to the forces ranged against the Kuomintang will be welcome I’m sure. Particularly as the new threat comes from an unexpected direction: the west.

Overnight the results of a few battles arrived in Berln. A close fought win in Lotoshino, a resounding victory in Ul’janovo and a crushing defeat in Novotrovitske combined to force OKH to re-evaluate the objectives of several army groups. For once action was swift: a series of orders was issued before 9AM.

hilterreviewingmaps.jpg

The situation is reviewed

moscowfinal.jpg

The critical sector

The nagging irritation to the right flank of the Österreich Army caused by the Soviets in the Crimea is to be addressed. General Höhne is to pull the Ukraine Army back and avenge Novotroviske and then push for Sevastopol. With his flank covered, von Kluge is to take Österreich Army straight east, to Stalino. Responsibility for Mariupol has been handed to the Hungarians, who have also been given the ambitious target of Rostov-on-Don. Finally, to maintain pressure on the Russians further north, Guderian and the Balkans Army are to continue their push east to Voronez.

But one area has priority: Moskva.

The supply and airbase issues in Russia are slowly improving. The airfields at Minsk have been expanded, and infrastructure in Sarata, Slobozia, Putyla, Suceava, Chernivtsi, Horodenko, Sniatyn and Iwanicze has been improved. (Spain was not forgotten – the bottleneck at Irún has also been addressed).

Baltic Army (Kesselring)

balticfinal.jpg

Far in the north at Suojärvi, with the temperature just above freezing, the Sturm-Marines finally stopped the Sinkiang attacks. For lightly armed troops trying to push back some of our best trained soldiers, Di1 Shi did very well. More than200 of Jahn’s battle-hardened veterans died repelling the waves of attackers: we will not underestimate them again.

But 2nd Marine-Sturm showed its professionalism. As the Sinkiangese licked their wounds, Jahn ordered a counter-attack into Pitkaranta. Osman Batur, commander of Zin’jinag JEtuan 1, had placed his only combat division in reserve, and the defence collapsed. The courage of the Sinkiang troops could not help them when facing the discipline and training of the marines.

4.ID “Falkenberg” will not forget the battle for Svir’stroj. Denisov and his men showed the stubborn resistance that we know Soviet troops can display. Only when von Küchler received assistance from the neighbouring divisions did he overcome the half-starved defenders.

Böttcher’s marines also got back into action, albeit briefly. The battle of Krasnaya Gora saw 78 Strelkovaya quickly shown that 1st Marine-Sturm Division meant business.

Polen Army Nord (von Manstein)

nordfinalend.jpg

Supply is starting to be an issue at the front: General Curtze complained he had barely enough ammunition to mount his attack into Staroye. It was fortunate that 36 Kaveleriy was completely outclassed, as after just 12 hours fighting (which was enough to see off the Russian horsemen) 20.ID (mot) ground to a halt. Not from lack of fuel: there was plenty of that. But there was not a spare round of ammunition nor a crate of food in the province.

General Zashibalov did his best in Likhoslavl’, helped by the near exhaustion of Kalmukoff’s men. Several divisions were called in by the Soviets but 88.ID had already done enough damage to make the outcome certain. One province closer to Kalinin.

Tightening the noose around Kalinin (I still prefer Tver – I don’t care that the Communists decided to honour one of their heroes), Neuling made a lighting march into Kryuchkovo. 316 Strelkovaya was completely unprepared and woefully understrength and when Neuling ordered his men to keep going through the night General Krylov could not keep control. His men fragmented and fled. The fighting was not over yet, though. 71.ID still had to overcome 48 Strelkovaya which made a last attempt to protect Kalinin. It was a short sharp tussle and then Neuling had another victory.

An hour after Neuling made his attack, to the southwest of Kalinin Brandt’s 104.ID (mot) made an inrush into Volga. This was a far bigger mouthful to digest. Kondrusev had a decent infantry division (18th Strelkovaya) and an experienced cavalry unit (3rd Bessarabskaya) and he used his men well. For four days Brandt struggled forward as Kitzinger’s bombers dropped tonnes of explosives on the defenders. Two more divisions were thrown into the battle before the Russians could take no more. Even so it was a fairly even fight, and a sign that the resistance is stiffening.

10volgafinal.jpg

Tough going: General Brandt and 104.ID (mot) enter Volga

There are still many Soviet units, however, that have not stabilised after the long retreat from the Ostsee. 44.ID had no problems in Kuzovino, throwing out Badanov and 90 Strelkovaya in a day or so. General Eike had a similar experience in Rochinok, beating the Soviets in a few hours.

General Agricola, commander of the joint Nord/Sud operation in Kozel’sk would have given his right arm for such a result. 72.ID and 105.ID (mot) were forced to draw on all their reserves of courage as they fought more than 60,000 Ivans. With no reinforcements during the 6 day battle, Agricola’s lightning pincer attack was turned into two separate battles of attrition. We won, but at an enormous cost. 72.ID has pulled back into the forests of Dudorovskiy to recover, while 105.ID (mot), which had things a little better, is resting in Kozel’sk.

South of Moskva, von Pannwitz pushed closer to another major city: Tula. Five Soviet divisions barred his way through Suvorov but they were all on the verge of collapse. Only three hours were needed, even though the number of Soviet troops present rose to nearly 70,000. Sheer numbers will not be enough to protect the industrial cities of Russia.

Assisting in the drive for Tula, von Both and 68.ID are fighting in Belev. The attack started early on the 14th and from recent reports it will be continuing for some time. 198 Motorizavannaya is holding back our infantry while thousands of Ivans escape east.

To assist Polen Army Sud in its assault on Moskva, 5th Panzer Division set out from Lotoshino to clear Klim of Vinogradov’s cavalry. It was hardly a fair fight, but to General Kleinheisterkamp’s surprise 32 Kavaleriy did not just break and run. After an afternoon of fighting, our panzers are still meeting opposition as they try to move forward during the night. There is no doubt that Klim will be ours, but such stubborn resistance is annoying.

The last battle to begin on the 14th was far to the north, in Gnezdovo. 44.ID left the assembly areas at 10PM and in two hours fightng to midnight have 90 Strelkovaya reeling. 71.ID is moving up to join the battle, but it may be all over before they can catch up with Barckhausen’s men.

Polen Army Sud (Rommel)

sudfinalend.jpg

There were few battles started in the 8th, but one led to the capture of a precious airbase at Kaluga. Müller used his infantry and artillery well but the town was held by a single garrison division and was soon captured. Fighting continued into the early hours of the 9th, but 10.ID was already at work repairing the air strips.

forta.jpg

Entry to a fortified bunker guarding the air field approaches

To ensure that the critical airbase was secure, von Salmuth was ordered to drive Pavlov and his armoured division from Soskensiy. Von Salmuth was given 7th Panzer, 1st leichte and 52.ID with which to carry out this task, a sign of the importance placed on it by General Rommel. As it turned out, the danger was overrated: Pavlov’s three divisions were in no condition to threaten anyone. It took a little longer than expected and von Salmuth was driven to request more support (both on the ground and from the air) but early on the 10th Pavlov was forced to pull back.

Even with more than 40,000 men under his command (75.ID remained with him) von Salmuth found fresh opposition in Soskensiy. General Kirponos, still leading his “Turkestanskaya” division, took on the immensely powerful Kampfgruppe. Possibly brave, definitely rash. In one afternoon more than 450 Russians died, and the advance was hardly slowed.

10soskensiyfinal.jpg

Goliath beats David: the battle for Soskensiy

General Rommel is no doubt ecstatic as it his men who began the assault on the Soviet capital. Command of this, the culmination of months of combat, had been given to an unlikely candidate, General Hansen. He is little known and of only moderate experience with no particular skills, but with his own 16.ID (mot) and Steiner’s 3rd PzD he moved into the outer suburbs of Moskva after dark on the 11th October. It will be some time before he can receive reinforcements though supply is plentiful. The Russians have more than 30,000 men in the city and no-one expects them to give in easily. With winter sweeping from the north-east, this will be a race against time. Can our men, fighting on a limited front, defeat a stubborn defender before the storms and blizzards nullify our air superiority?

11moskvafinal.jpg

The Battle for Moskva

To widen the access to Moskva, General Müller struck the Russians in Obninsk, south of the capital. Only a single motorised division backed by some cavalry held this area, and at the end of the 14th Müller was confident that victory was within his grasp.

With Polen Army Nord attacking south from Lotoshino, General Harpe attacked northeast into Zavidovskiy Zapovedruk. Here too resistance was more spirited than expected. 44,000 men, no matter how disorganised, are difficult to move, but 3rd leichte Panzer has broken through the front and reports that the Russians are starting to withdraw.

Balkans Army (Guderian)

balkanfinal.jpg

Guderian, while reorganising his focus on Voronez, still allowed his generals some leeway. This let Altricheter continue into Zalegoshch’, even though it was not on the new axis of advance. Using his self-propelled artillery offensively, Altrichter acted as though his motorised infantry were shock troops. Gamanik’s men never recovered from the initial impact and were routed before midnight on the 8th.

If Gamanik thought that by evacuation his HQ (3ya Armiya) from Zalegoshch he had bought time he had a rude shock. Barely had he arrived in Pokrovskoye than Höpner’s tanks moved in from Zmiyevka. At least Gamanik now had something better with which to protect his administrative staff. 57 “Uralskaya” and 129 Strelkovaya had had a chance to recover and were in no mood to back down from a confrontation with 4th leichte Panzer. But back down they did, after just a day’s fighting, and Gamanik’s HQ was on the move again.

General Schack has been given the task of clearing a path through Mtensk to allow a group of Balkans Army divisions to head southeast towards Voronez. It is not clear if he knew what he was facing. 106.ID found the going quite tough and fighting is continuing. 98.ID is now supporting the attack (having finally won the battle for Chern’) and things are improving, but Schack’s unit may have to pay a heavy price for the province.

The long and bloody fight for Kolpny is over. General Bieß can claim another victory, but at what a cost. 10.ID “Bitburg” was so badly damaged that it has been withdrawn from action and sent to the rear for rest and refit. 2.ID “Vorwärts” and 2nd Panzer have occupied Kolpny, or what is left of it. “Sivashskaya” and 238 Strelkovaya made us pay for every metre of ground.

“Vorwärts” did not stay still for long, the aggressive General Ruoff keen to keep moving east. Together with 112.ID (mot), he entered Dolgoye at dusk on 12th October. During the night the outnumbered defenders were routed for minimal cost. Later that day 81 Motorizavannaya tried to block Ruoff’s advance but it too was quickly despatched.

South-west of Kharkov General Meise and 345.ID (mot) took over the attack on Valky which had been planned by the Italians. 14a Divisione “Isonzo” performed well, in the night fighting, which saw two Soviet divisions flee to Zhymiyiv. Kharkov is now virtually undefended: a single garrison division all that is left in the city.

For a few hours General Sharokhin must have thought that 139 Strelkovaya could hold off Jodl’s 100.ID (mot), but the arrival of 4th leichte Panzer was too much for his infantrymen. Their withdrawal from Pokrovskoye was well handled, however, and although under extreme pressure the Russians lost relatively few men in the retreat.

Early on the 14th the assault on Kharkov began. Only one division was sent into the city: 36.ID (mot). Guderian may have thought that Herzog’s veterans would be able to deal with the barely trained conscripts our intelligence had identified as being the sole defenders. They got a rude shock. 186 Strlekovaya may be a simple garrison unit, but its morale is high and its men are prepared to die rather than retreat. Similarly, General Dedaev is inexperienced, but he has a gift for defence and his plans have been effective. Very little progress has been made during the day.

stalinlinefinal.jpg

Kharkov: General Dedaev has been busy with his defences

1st Italian Expeditionary Army (Pintor)

italianfinal.jpg

There was a brief flurry of excitement when Corpo d’Armaro Alpino announced that Beraudo di Pralormo had taken 3a Divisione Alpina “Julia” into Chutove. Were the Italians about to make their big push for Kharkov? Only a few hours we were told it was a false alarm. After a brief clash with Pliev’s 163rd Motorizavannaya the Italians withdrew.

The excitement was not displaced, just a bit early. Dawn on the 11th, General Messe with his own 1a Divisione Alpina “Taurinese” as well as Reverberi’s 21a Divisione “Granatieri di Sardegna”, attacked 221 Motorizavannaya in Krasnohrad. The Italians have lost many men fighting for this inconsequential province that for some reason the Soviets seem keen to retain. At least this time the Italians had a quick if expensive win, with hostilities ceasing before nightfall the following day.

Österreich Army (von Kluge)

ostfinalend.jpg

Zhmanchenko did much better than we expected in Poltava, inflicting relatively high casualties on 27.ID. He could not alter the outcome of the battle, however, as his men were simply too far gone to hold off a determined attack commanded by someone as experienced as Feketehalmy-Czeyder.

After the debacle in Novotrovitske which saw 162.ID lose nearly 1,400 men, Heißmeyer needed weeks to repair the damage to his division. General Baranov was not going to give him that respite, and 19 Tankovaya counter-attacked into Novooleksiyivka. Heißmeyer and his men were unable to mount more than a token defence and within hours they were moving back across the Dnepr to Nova Khakhovka.

To the surprise of everyone, except just himself, Petzel won the battle of Novomoskovosk. Having crossed the Dnepr, his men fought like tigers to expand their bridgehead. Joined first by 26.ID, then 3rd Gebirgsjäger, he gradually pushed back the Soviets. He has now cleared the area of hostile troops.

Von Bock, noting that Stumme’s 3rd schwere Panzer Division was not engaged in action, persuaded Höhne to “lend” the Tigers to him for the assault on Mariupol. The request paid off as the additional weight helped 111.ID smash Popov’s 14th Tankovaya in a matter of hours.

While Petzel consolidated his hold on Novosomosk, Brand pushed on into Pavlohrad. The impetus of the dawn attack was enough to convince Obukhov that he could not hold the province, and 127 Strelkovaya joined the exodus to the east. It could be that Österreich Army has weathered the storm and will be able to make significant gains during the last weeks of autumn.

Further evidence of a weakening defence came in Krasnoarmiys’k. General Bader reported that 144 Strelkovaya had been reduced to just over 5,000 men and was not able to resist his attack for more than a couple of hours.

kfinal.jpg

Are Soviet losses are starting to be reflected at the front?

It seems General von Bock was impressed by the performance of Stumme’s Tigers. When he was assigned the task of taking Stalino he requested assistance from 4th schwere Panzer Division. Konev’s 21st Tankovaya was not as fragile as Popov’s armour, and 111.ID is taking steady losses as it moves into the city. Von Bock is hedging his bets in his reports: he is demanding massive Luftwaffe support to ensure victory.

Army of the Ukraine (Höhne)

ukrainefinal.jpg

Höhne seems to be having difficulty in extracting his divisions from the east and turning them south to the Crimea. General von Vietinghoff gennant Scheel attacked Polohy at dawn on the 11th, several days after OKH issued the new orders. Perhaps the commander of 3rd schwere Panzer Division could be excused, as Tsinchenko and 18 Tankovaya must have been an attractive target: they collapsed after just 2 hours of combat.

Finalised Battles for the period 8th to 14th October 1941

Lotoshino: 317 (21,333): 381 (72,449)
Novotrovitske: 1,374 (9,991): 472 (19,998)
Ul’janovo: 60 (21,518): 591 (76,979)
Kaluga: 59 (9,997): 157 (9,997)
Zalegoshch’: 33 (9,997): 108 (23,801)
Poltava: 224 (9,496): 337 (23,801)
Chutove: 9 (5,997): 1 (7,998) (Italian)
Soskensiy: 420 (41,989): 810 (24,346)
Pokrovskoye: 150 (10,000): 214 (18,053)
Staroye: 27 (9,996): 115 (5,997)
Suojärvi: 206 (9,462): 783 (9,992)
Pitkaranta: 0 (9,256): 14 (10,210)
Novooleksiyivka: 52 (8,627): 47 (9,932)
Likhoslavl’: 3 (9,995): 414 (26,008)
Chern’: 857 (19,994): 910 (10,000)
2nd Soskensiy: 33 (59,526): 461 (8,977)
Novomoskovosk: 667 (29,973): 495 (24,719)
Svir’stroj: 1,015 (19,982): 915 (29,003)
Kryuchkovo: 43 (9,995): 30 (7,017)
Volga: 300 (29,986): 382 (16,992)
Polohy: 75 (9,456): 132 (9,998)
Krasnohrad: 209 (27,301): 126 (14,578) (Italian)
Mariupol: 95 (19,122): 233 (9,920)
Kolpny: 1,801 (19,979): 1,388 (16,420)
Kuzovino: 40 (9,992): 94 (9,265)
Rochinok: 28 (10,000): 51 (9,797)
Kozel’sk: 3,514 (19,998): 3,645 (61,113)
Krasnaya Gora: 36 (9,927): 47 (7,696)
2nd Kryuchkovo: 38 (10,000): 36 (8,996)
Suvorov: 158 (10,000): 182 (68,350)
Dolgoye: 63 (17,984): 116 (10,994)
2nd Dolgoye: 66 (9,975): 99 (7,317)
Valky: 37 (15,989): 71 (15,858) (30 Italian)
Pokrovskoye: 40 (19,988): 38 (10,000)
Pavlohrad: 68 (9,992): 78 (7,973)
Krasnoarmiys’k: 7 (8,173): 24 (5,371)

Total Battlefield Casualties for the period 8th to 14th October 1941

Hungarian: Nil
Italian: 248
German: 11,876
Russian: 13,997

Prior Casualties

Hungarian: 2,731
Italian: 6,862
German: 361,822
Russian: 398,843

Total Battlefield Casualties to date

Hungarian: Nil + 2,731 = 2,731
Italian: 248 + 6,862 = 7,110
German: 11,876 + 361,822 = 373,698
Russian: 13,997 + 398,843 = 412,840

Bombing Summary for the period 8th to 14th October 1941

Luftwaffe

After an event-free day of bombing on the 8th, the Luftwaffe took heavy losses over Kaluga the following day. 7th Kampffliegerkorps lost about 50 bombers while shooting down 18 fighters.

Lotoshino: Keller with 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 177
Lotoshino: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 76
Novomoskovosk: Dörstling with 6th Kampffliegerkorps: 265, 280, 220, 309, 180 (1,254)
Poltava: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 123, 193 (316)
Soskensiy: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 174, 284, 129, 262 (849)
Soskensiy: Grauert with 3rd and 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 200, 358 (558)
Synelnykove: Rapaich with 1 Légihadsereg: 141, 66, 73, 141, 141, 66, 133, 165, 212, 170 (1,308)
Synelnykove: Udet with 3rd Schlachtfliegerkorps and 1 Légihadsereg: 158, 218, 207, 170, 264, 157 (1,174)
Kaluga: Keller with 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 123
Chutove: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 76, 146 (222)
Mtensk: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 200, 321, 301 (822)
Kolpny: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 300, 358, 125, 190, 302 (1.275)
Volga: Grauert with 3rd and 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 133, 372, 80 (585)
Kozel’sk: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 172
Moskva: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 253, 357 (610)
Moskva: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 287
Moskva: Sperrle with 1st Kampffliegerkorps: 366, 202 (568)
Volga: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 245, 357, 122, 318 (1.042)
Volga: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 210, 348 (558)
Dolgoye: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 70
Pavlohrad: Rapaich with 1 Légihadsereg: 133, 286 (419)
Obninsk: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 216, 106 (322)

destrussiantrucksfinal.jpg

A Russian supply convoy caught by our bombers

VVS

Soviet bombers were not seen until midday on 10th when a group were detected heading for Deryagino. More than a thousand interceptors met them and Zhigarev wisely aborted the mission. A day later Smushkevich tried once more to hit Deryagino, Waber again turned the aircraft back.

Total Bombing Casualties for the period 8th to 14th October 1941

Hungarian: Nil
Italian: Nil
German: Nil
Russian: 12,787

Prior Bombing Casualties

Hungarian: 128
Italian: 65
German: 5,222
Russian: 267,853

Total Bombing Casualties to date

Hungarian: Nil + 128 = 128
Italian: Nil + 65 = 65
German: Nil + 5,222 = 5,222
Russian: 12,787 + 267,853 = 280,640

East Front at the end of 14th October 1941

eastfinal.jpg

Total East Front Casualties for the period 8th to 14th October 1941

Hungarian: Nil + Nil = Nil
Italian: 248 + Nil = 248
German: 11,876 + Nil = 11,876
Russian: 13,997 + 12,787 = 26,784

Prior Casualties

Hungarian: 2,849
Italian: 6,927
German: 367,044
Russian: 666,696

Total East Front Casualties

Hungarian: Nil + 2,849 = 2,849
Italian: 248 + 6,927 = 7,175
German: 11,786 + 367,044 = 378,920
Russian: 26,784 + 666,696 = 693,480

Last edited:
Any idea what the Soviet national unity is at this stage? Have you been reducing it with strategic bombing?

Great update Uriah!

Your Guderians’s Blitzkrieg + CB AAR is fantastic as well. I love it! It's nice to see what a proper schwerpunkt and breakout can do. Actually, I'm most fascinated by the supply and rail/road aspects, having not played a proper board game in years I sort of forgot what's under the abstraction.

PS. Your first image for the Baltic Army is off, also von Salmuth was given 7th Panzer. Don't mean to nitpick, just noticed.

Moskov, finally!

And I am sure Yunnan will be able to drag a lot of Chinese troops away from the Japanese front.

We haven't taken it yet (still only played to 16th October) but I think it is gone. And I hope the Japanese get some help: they may lose a lot of troops in Indochina and China seems to have stalled.

Any idea what the Soviet national unity is at this stage? Have you been reducing it with strategic bombing?

Haven't looked for a while: will try to remember next time I play. But strat bombing has not been used much, mainly becuase I have left it to the AI. I have two Strats and they are assigned to the east, but from memory they have only done a few infra missions. I am hoping the addition of my third unit and few techs will get the AI going. I am very relectant to take over direct command as I want to see how the AI uses them.

Great update Uriah!

Your Guderians’s Blitzkrieg + CB AAR is fantastic as well. I love it! It's nice to see what a proper schwerpunkt and breakout can do. Actually, I'm most fascinated by the supply and rail/road aspects, having not played a proper board game in years I sort of forgot what's under the abstraction.

PS. Your first image for the Baltic Army is off, also von Salmuth was given 7th Panzer. Don't mean to nitpick, just noticed.

Thaks for the kind words on the other AAR. Your compliments on my strategy may be a bit early: the well-read Comrade Kuritsa knows my cunning plan and is withdrawing as fast as he can to avoid having too many units cut off and dying from lack of supply. And he is hitting me where I am not too strong, causing some headaches.

The supply and communications issues dominate this game. With unlimited supply I could steamroll the Red Army, but as it is every move by fuel dependent units, every artillery bombardment, every assault must be carefully calculated to ensure I get the best results for my scarce resources. Control of railways and truck supply routes, as well as the correct strategical placement of HQ units, is critical. It is definitely not a beer and pretzel game.

And don't worry about being picky! No-one admires pickiness and pedantry more than me. I don't know how I missed the fact I used the wrong image for the Baltic Army, but I am really impressed by your pick up of the 5th PzD rather than the 7th. Keeps me on my toes to know that someone with an eye for detail is reading!

With 70% on Moscow how can it go wrong, well its too early to get -40 degree Celsius to rescue them.

Please don't tempt the AI that way: I have seen it call off attacks that were going well. But you ar eprobably right, I can't see the capital holding more than week without some really good units showing up to defend it.

This is off topic so I'll be quick. I jsut noticed that I hadn't allowed comments on my GDII blog. This was not a conscious decision - I had no idea what I was doing. Only noticed just then when putting up an update. Now fixed. Tell me what you REALLY think - I have set it to allow anonymous.

That's real time strategy for you. :)

Let's hope the frost doesn't move too quickly, we all know what happens to armies that fail to take Moscow before the full onset of winter. Of course, Napoleon discovered that even taking Moscow itself doesn't always help!
I don't think there's any worry in HoI3. The manpower situation is usually the only real problem for Germany, and it gets resolved after taking Moscow and Leningrad. Note how even with Moscow in USSR hands, the Russians are starting to show problems.

Love your ARR as I've mentioned in the past. With all the work you've put in it you should serious considering self publishing it on the new Apple iBooks section. I'd honestly purchase it.