• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my (admittedly small) time with Rome: VV so far, colonization has been the least engaging aspect of the game. Keeping watch for barbarians and dealing with them has been fun, though. So anything that adds a twist or makes colonization more interesting as well as giving tribes more to do would be great.

africanfunny.png

I'm having a little problem right now with the map, it is crashing and I don't know why. In the setup.log the last thing it does is the adjacencies and it seems fine. Currently all new provinces are in the same region (including provinces in other continents - non adjacent ones), maybe it's that the problem?

Any help is welcome.

Download

Ok, I made proper regions for all the new provinces and corrected the adjacencies.csv that was wrong.
Same problem, freezing at "Initializing map logic"

also

in the setup.log, the last line is "adjacencies for province 971 are bla bla bla", this is the last sea province and it seems to be correct. From working versions I see that the next line should be something like "Map properly initialized" or something. Which doesn't help.
Also, I runned it with a Visual Studio C++ debugger, it also doesn't say what's wrong.

Were you just adding new provinces?

My first thoughts are that it might be something to do with rivers.bmp. I had crashes like this when I altered this file incorrectly. Have you altered it recently?

Yes, I changed all the map files, incouding a lot of river.bmp. Thanks, that will help trimm the problem a lot. I thought like EU III that rivers would be something later like near the checksum or whatever.

I copied the vanilla province.bmp and related "correct" files except topology, rivers and terrain and the game freezes at exactly at the same point, after calculating correctly all the adacencies for provinces. Does this mean it is one of these files? (I heard somewhere in the threads that this could be used to guarantee the problem was elsewhere than province.bmp).

I'll see it with a eagle eye, thanks!

Just had a look a the files and sorry I cant see anything obvious, it doesnt like it its the rivers. All I could think of to do is to get a clean file and introduce errors one by one and try and simulate the crash, then you might identify what file is causing it. Good luck :)

Also, the map looks amazing, I didnt realise you had extended it wll the way through north Africa and down the east coast to Zanzibar.

With the topology, have a look at this >website<, the second image from the bottom. You can use transparency tools to copy and past sections of the topology from this map onto your topology map. You then need to resize and pivot, all achievable using GIMP. It works really well and look pretty good in game compared to hand drawn work.

Just had a look a the files and sorry I cant see anything obvious, it doesnt like it its the rivers. All I could think of to do is to get a clean file and introduce errors one by one and try and simulate the crash, then you might identify what file is causing it. Good luck :)

Also, the map looks amazing, I didnt realise you had extended it wll the way through north Africa and down the east coast to Zanzibar.

With the topology, have a look at this >website<, the second image from the bottom. You can use transparency tools to copy and past sections of the topology from this map onto your topology map. You then need to resize and pivot, all achievable using GIMP. It works really well and look pretty good in game compared to hand drawn work.

Yeah, I concluded it was not rivers (I found some glaring errors but it's not it), topology or terrain as I loaded them using the vanilla provinces map (at least they didn't crash that soon). Also adjacencies also had problems, but nothing after solving them. So it got to be something in provinces.bmp. It is not province size as I slaughtered the map to get small provinces in Africa and nothing too. I suspect for now that it may be a limit on the number of provinces. I'll try removing provinces to see if this is the problem.

Yeah, my imaging skills aren't that great, I'll try giving topology a proper work :p

Many thanks Hardradi!

It lives!
I'm not 100% sure I know how I solved it but it lives! (misplaced port and something else I don't know)
I can continue to work on the next version now.
It lives!

looks grand. How far south are you planing to go?

This south (excluding the east african coast that goes a little more south - but it already is in this pic). All the doubtful and mythical Roman/Greek/Carthaginian sources end somewhere in this border.

Zomg! This is just getting more and more badass :D Definitely GREAT job!

Is there anything an average modder could help with if you need a hand?

I've always wanted to play further south in Africa. Looking forward to the update!

Thanks!
Currently I'm resting a little so I didn't advanced. I'm working with narknumethar (spelling surely wrong). And he already reshaped Britannia layout and added many tribes there, so I guess if anyone wants to create tribes in places where there is none/few in Europe (or anywhere else) would be great.

Is the Europe (France - Germany area) same as in Vanilla? My BSFA mod had 30-something tribes there so if there isn't any big differences in the provinces I could give you everything I had done as I'm no longer doing anything with the mod.

If you're interested check it out here and send a PM or something in case you think you could do something with them.

Is the Europe (France - Germany area) same as in Vanilla? My BSFA mod had 30-something tribes there so if there isn't any big differences in the provinces I could give you everything I had done as I'm no longer doing anything with the mod.

If you're interested check it out here and send a PM or something in case you think you could do something with them.

That would probably be helpful, thanks! When I get back to it I'll tell you something.

Just to show that this isn't dead, here is the most recent work (with thanks to BSFA mod).

newtribes2.png

newtribes.png

I've created more bugcorrectors and I made a hands-off game for 20 years and it didn't crash. Of the save games that crashed that people provided me 2 were solved and one I'm not sure if it is or isn't.
It'll try to make it run for more time to see if there's a problem.

Looking awesome! Will the swahili area be connected to the other side of the africa somehow or will it have PTI between there?