• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Suggestion for new resources

I would love to suggest following resources added to game

1. Precious metal = +10% Local tax modifier
2. Incense = +0.5% Religious prestige
3. Ivory = +1 Trade route
4. Silk = +1% Civilization spread
5. Naval supplies = +5% Naval organization
6. Cloth = +5% Land organization
7. Wax = -5% Building build time
8. Leather = +5% Horse Archer / Archer discipline
9. Fur = +5% Cavalry discipline
10. Porcelain = +3% Trade income

Last edited:
Ha thanks.
All the history for countries, provinces and characters is done.

To do for this update:

1) Tweak the population values. I hate doing this and I'm not good at this.

2) Add new resources. I'll follow RIMP base file (not their images) and add 7 new resources and keep the old ones (but surely changing their effects): Tea, Cattle, Gems, Chinaware, Fur, Silk and Gold. I think these ones cover India and China well.

I'm thinking in allow all coastal provinces to produce triremes, but make it much faster with wood, increasing non-wood times. As the same for archers, heavy infantry, cavalry, I don't know.

3) Add new decisions/events.

I'm thinking in spread of Buddhism event for provinces, a Silk Route modifier for provinces, a Wall of China one for provinces too to increase fort level. It would be great to include more general interesting events but I have no idea on those, or for specific flavour ones too. Suggestions are very welcome on this.

The speed adjustment for triremes with/without wood is a very good idea. same should apply for heavy infantry (iron), cavalry (horses), archers (wood), and horse archers (wood AND horses). It should take a veeery long time to produce a unit if you don't have the resources.

Is the "Battle at Gaugamela" and "Third Diadochi War" scenario launched? Wow, then I will try your mod out again! :eek:) Because I'm very interested in this era.

What happens when Alexander dies in the "Battle at Gaugamela" scenario? Will the Macedonian empire be divided into the Diadochi?

I mostly agree to what you say AKronblad, but I think that heavy inf and iron should be left as it is today. It is one of the big things that lets the game develop an historical Cartage

What happens when Alexander dies in the "Battle at Gaugamela" scenario? Will the Macedonian empire be divided into the Diadochi?

Maybe there should be an event chain that has the chance of causing his death, setting off another one that sets a number of nations free and makes them declare war on each other. Methinks that there should be a relatively omnipresent danger of Alexander dying and his empire breaking away.

Maybe he would even end up dead at Gaugamela, with the Persians pushing back before his panicked army and maybe even take Greece! The world would be a very different place!

Yep, decision for Great Wall of China looks much better. I managed to add all the resources, they are good looking! (Except cattle, I think it can be improved) Thanks, MEIOU for Napoleons' Ambition (with authorization and YES, I needed the outdated NA files to have it properly ported to Rome).

This is the file of the effects:

Code:
grain = {
	color = { 0.7 0.0 0.0 }
	allow_unit_type = trireme
	local_population_growth = 0.03
}

salt = {
	color = { 0.6 0.2 0.2 }
	local_regiment_recruit_speed = -0.25
}

iron = {
	color = { 1.0 0.0 0.0 }
	allow_unit_type = heavy_infantry
}

horses = {
	color = { 0.5 0.5 0.0 }
	trade_transit_capacity = 1.0
	allow_unit_type = cavalry
	allow_unit_type = horse_archers
}

wine = {
	color = { 0.5 0.8 0.0 }
	local_revolt_risk = -1
	allow_unit_type = archers
}

wood = {
	color = { 0.0 0.5 0.0  }
	local_ship_recruit_speed = -0.5
}

amber = {
	color = { 0.3 0.7 0.3 }
	local_tax_modifier = 0.1
}

stone = {
	local_defensive = 1
	color = { 0.0 1.0 0.0 }
}

fish = {
	local_manpower = 0.1
	color = { 0.0 0.6 0.6 }
}

spices = {
	local_religious_prestige = 0.5
	color = { 0.2 0.9 0.9 }
}

elephants = {
	allow_unit_type = warelephant
	local_tax_modifier = 0.05
	color = { 1.0 0.8 0.8 }
}

papyrus = {
	local_research_points_modifier = 0.25
	color = { 0.0 0.8 0.8 }
}

cloth = {
	stability_cost = -1
	color = { 0.3 0.7 0.9 }
}

wild_game = {
	local_start_experience = 0.1
	color = { 0.0 0.8 0.8 }
}

tea = {
	minimum_revolt_risk = -1
	color = { 0.0 0.8 0.0 }
}

chinaware = {
	garrison_growth = 0.25
	color = { 0.8 0.8 0.8 }
}

gems = {
	local_tax_modifier = 1
	color = { 0.8 0.8 0.0 }
}

fur = {
	movement_cost = -0.5
	color = { 0.8 0.8 0.5 }
}

silk = {
	local_trade_routes = 2
	color = { 1.0 0.8 0.8 }
}

gold = {
	local_tax_modifier = 1
	color = { 0.0 1.0 0.8 }
}

cattle = {
	supply_limit = 1
	color = { 0.3 0.8 0.8 }
}

Basically everything allows triremes (that now takes twice as long to build, with wood changed accordingly), and the worse resources allow archers too now, to make them more common, I mean, it's kinda basic the archers. Gems and Gold skyrocket tax, but it makes sense for me.
My favourite change: horses work as roads without the movement speed thing, that is, now I'll be able to create the silk route through central Asia as countries in the west will be able to trade for silk through the "horse route"+"achaemenid route" provinces AND trade rights now mean something! I think this is just beautiful! Silk is +2 trade routes, which will make you want to trade it to the west.
Some resources are somewhat bad, but the only other local modifiers that I know that exist remaining is the barbarian spawn chance which is... very useless most of the times.
I kept HI and cavalries rare, it is essential to balance some things (hi uber Maurya), and it is the only thing that gives sense to the current unit system.

There is no such thing as the battle of Gaugamela now :p Only the set up of the world in its time. Of course it would be cool to add all kinds of events, specially to allow Macedonia to eat it in one go (or the reverse...). I know how to give an army to the ruler, but I don't know where he'll go. May be possible to do, may be not.
Having events to allow the formation of Seleucia etc will be very cool, I already thought of it (and Maurya would like it too from Nanda).
It's cool that at this start Macedonia and Persia have similar strenghts, I didn't need to balance it (manpower similar, Persia more gold, Macedonia more research).

The two first Diadochi wars are only Macedonia vs Macedonia Rebels, as I want the player to have the chance to keep the empire and expand it. But in the start of the third it's all split up. I didn't include occupied provinces in the diadochi wars start up, but provinces change ownership in the end of the wars (obviously) and sometimes in the middle, I didn't make only 2 starts pre-vanilla, history is there, if you want you can start in the Fourth Diadochi war or something like that, wars are there.

I think I'll add the new resources to the provinces, balance somewhat the starts, add 2 or 3 events/decisions and call it a update, I know it will lack all the flavour events/decisions, but it took so much time to finish this I want to see it released, with next updates about events and that. I know I'm promising this since 5 updates ago or something like that, but well, I didn't include ANY new province in this update, so you can count on my word that it starts to look complete on map+countries set up :p

Do you know why these events don't work? When I console them they appear all blank, don't even have the EVT9999 thing, and the triggers in green as they should be. I made other events and they work, but I can't get any of these 3 through the completely blank thing.

Code:
province_event = {

id = 9996

trigger = {
		NOT = { religion = buddhism }
		OR = {
			religion = brahmanism
			religion = jainism
			religion = chinese_folk
			religion = tengriism
			religion = viet_folk
			religion = korean_folk
			religion = japanese_folk
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 1
	}

modifier = {
		factor = 0.5
		owner = { religion = buddhism }
	}

title = "EVTNAME9996"
	desc = "EVTDESC9996"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA9996"
		religion = buddhism
	}
}

country_event = {

id = 9995

trigger = {
		is_omen_failure = yes
		NOT = { religion = buddhism }
		OR = {
			religion = brahmanism
			religion = jainism
			religion = chinese_folk
			religion = tengriism
			religion = viet_folk
			religion = korean_folk
			religion = japanese_folk
		}
		OR = {
			any_province = {
				religion = buddhism
			}
			any_character = {
				has_job = yes
				character_religion = buddhism
			}
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 1 #1200
	}

modifier = {
		factor = 0.5
		ruler = { character_religion = buddhism }
	}

title = "EVTNAME9995"
	desc = "EVTDESC9995"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA9995"
		religion = buddhism
	}
}

character_event = {

id = 9994

trigger = {
		age = 16
		NOT = { character_religion = buddhism }
		OR = {
			character_religion = brahmanism
			character_religion = jainism
			character_religion = chinese_folk
			character_religion = tengriism
			character_religion = viet_folk
			character_religion = korean_folk
			character_religion = japanese_folk
		}
		OR = {
			any_province = {
				religion = buddhism
			}
			any_character = {
				has_job = yes
			}
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 1 #1200
	}

modifier = {
		factor = 0.5
		ruler = { character_religion = buddhism }
	}

title = "EVTNAME9994"
	desc = "EVTDESC9994"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA9994"
	}
}

Great mod! One thing I sense while playing though is that the India/China areas are by necessity crowded with provinces. Yet, when I zoom in and play it doesn't have the feel that zooming in and playing in the Roman or Greece regions of the map feels. Even close up it feels bunched in. It might be the positions of troops (some of which in India aren't in their own province, especially on the northern rim with Tibet). Just my two cents, great mod!

Finally I managed to put those events to work, the problem was that modifiers were outside mean time to happen :p But now I have problems in other new events I'm creating... It hurts not to have a proper list of triggers, scopes, effects, etc, the current one is outdated.

Great mod! One thing I sense while playing though is that the India/China areas are by necessity crowded with provinces. Yet, when I zoom in and play it doesn't have the feel that zooming in and playing in the Roman or Greece regions of the map feels. Even close up it feels bunched in. It might be the positions of troops (some of which in India aren't in their own province, especially on the northern rim with Tibet). Just my two cents, great mod!

Thanks! Well, that is a problem I can't solve, those provinces are small and that brings the "unit out of province" problem, the question as you said, India and China really need to have that many provinces to be funny, otherwise it would be very boring. Europe isn't a solid continent with that many small provinces clustered together, that's why it looks prettier. I think I can't get past this on the map thing, unless we could zoom in more or make the map size bigger, but I'm afraid to change the map size right one, but also I really doubt any expansion of the map size would get it to acceptable levels and it would probably take more memory and make Magna Terra even slower.

Ok, I'm done, I managed to put all events to work like I wanted to. So, it's release time:

Download here.

And if you need too, the Province Textures (they are the same as the previous update):
If you have the crash when you click on Singleplayer:
Province Textures for new provinces: Province_textures
Put them on map/cache/province_textures folder (in the game folder, not in the Magna Terra folder)

Version 2011-04-07
- Time is pushed back to 422 AVC (331 BC) to the Battle of Gaugamela.
- All techs are pushed back too: a tech that was made for 474 is now for 422, etc, added more techs to allow them to reach the end time.
- World changed accordingly to match these earlier starts:
a) Many many countries added: Persia, Nanda, Gangaridai, Shu, Ba, Pragjyotisa, Amorites, Etruria, Picentis, Samnites, Lucani, Bruttii, Zhongshan, Song, Taxila, Paurava, Atropatene and Ruhuna. Asia, Thracia, Achaia, Cilicia, Media, Aria, Bactria, Gedrosia, India Superior and India Inferior appear sometimes in historical starts. Many thanks to Hardradi and Descartes for the flags of some of these countries.
b) Rulers added for all countries when possible, all major ones, specially monarchies, should have them. Also rulers added for some countries that previously didn't have, like minor chinese states, Anuradhapura, etc.
- Added more resources (tea, cattle, gems, chinaware, fur, silk and gold) and changed some effects of vanilla ones too. Many thanks for the MEIOU mod team for Europa Universalis III (Napoleon's Ambition version [because Rome is still in the dark ages compared to EU III ]) with the pictures of the resources
- All coastal provinces now can build triremes, but wood significantly reduce its now increased time to build
- Many weaker resources now also allow archers too
- New decisions and events:
a) Decision and events to make some specific provinces to acquire level 4 fort, AKA Great Wall of China
b) Decision and events to give flavour to China, with Mandate of Heaven, Emperors of East and West, etc (AKA Zhou is an incredibly annoying thing, it just don't die)
c) Added event to make Tibet and Arabia to be very hard to colonise, as population growth will be very harsh
d) Added events to make it possible for Macedonia to conquer Persia in almost one go
e) Added events to make buddhism spread for provinces, countries and characters, to simulate the spread of Buddhism in this era

You already saw screens in some earlier post, so download and play :)
Obviously, any comment, suggestion, etc, is essential to make future updates better

Last edited:
This mod just keeps getting better! Bravo, tried out some of the starts as Rome, finally playing the Punic Wars doesn't have a superpower Macedon at the helm, a realistically weakened victim of the Diadochi wars.

Links updated again with a more robust fixing of the crash problem... This time it CAN fix broken saves, but the save must be ~15 days before the crash date.

Download here

Last edited:
Exceptional! I find the Deccan nations to be pointlessly docile, even after Maurya is conquered.

I don't understand, do you mean that even when they conquer Maurya, they keep docile? I divided India into separate culture groups so that Maurya can't get manpower from west or south indians and vice versa, so they probably need to wait until they convert it.
With the current cascading alliances India is a very harsh place, they all end up bulling someone alltogether.

I came here because I had an idea I liked and did not want to forget: add an event to make tribes be able to colonise by event (and maybe later other ones to destroy previous provinces = migration?), connected to the ruler martial, etc, to simulate their warly expansion into minor tribes. I think this would make barbarian Europe much more interesting, specially for super isolated tribes that are BORING (hi Pictii).