• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Game balance, historical background.

I don't mean airborne assault, I just mean TRANSPORT. Even I would manage to sit in a plane and wait until it lands!
Yeah, I agree. However, the game engine can't differ between »air landing« and »air transport« capabilities.

The balance is already there! Brigades have different weight, a single 3Inf division would require two transport wings. There could also be a massive attack delay, representing reassembly of artillery pieces and other large equipment.

Well, since there is an upcoming expansion I just wanted to ask if there is the chance of something like this could be implemented. There are occasions where I really miss this. For example, what do I do if I want to send troops to Nationalist China as Germany? In reality there was no problem at all with that, but here (if I am at war with Japan) I can just forget it.+
The whole transport system is abstracted anyway, since there is no load/unload time and you can load any type of division on a ship. So I don't see why this should only apply to ships.

The bit about not being able to move the Corp HQ for an airborne task force annoys me to pieces.

Would it be possible to simply mod the HQ units to being air-dropable, thus able to be TRANSPORTED (not dropped) to a captured airfield?

I don't mean airborne assault, I just mean TRANSPORT. Even I would manage to sit in a plane and wait until it lands!
You might, but a whole division (10000 people) plus equipment is pretty hard to move around. It's a very expensive, slow task even today, with large fleets of big, long range transport planes (and virtually no AA or fighters to worry about). Equipment was heavier, and transport planes were much smaller during WWII, so the overhead even bigger. You'd need to use 10x the normal strat-redeploy supply cost, and that would maybe work for a simple infantry division. The Germans did try moving some equipment that way, you can read up on how that worked (spoiler: it didn't).

Last edited:
You might, but a whole division (10000 people) plus equipment is pretty hard to move around. It's a very expensive, slow task even today, with large fleets of big, long range transport planes (and virtually no AA hitting you). Equipment was heavier, and transport planes were much smaller during WWII, so the overhead even bigger. You'd need to use 10x the normal strat-redeploy supply cost, and that would maybe work for a simple infantry division. The Germans did try moving some equipment that way, you can read up on how that worked (spoiler: it didn't).

You mean that one time Germany managed to keep a pocket supplied and equipped in Russia (only ever worked 1 time, right?), which sort of lead to the idea of supporting the 6. Armee entirely by air at Stalingrad?

The German 22nd Infantry Division was a specially trained 'air landing' division which was used to attack directly from the transport aircraft when they landed on enemy airfields. This was attempted in Holland at the start of the 1940 campaign. The airfields were captured but the primary goal of capturing the capital in a coup-de-main failed, and over half of the transports were destroyed or damaged on the airfields.

In WW2 air transport of anything other than specialized airborne troops was not possible because the heavy weapons and transport that were an organic part of every unit larger than an infantry company could not be transported.

Well, I get your points. But I don't see why there would be such a huge difference between Paratroopers and Infantry (if Infantry weighs a bit more). And eg. if it would only possible to unload the troops in your own/allied airfields, I don't think it would be too gamebreaking. It's not like transport planes would be like an alternative for ships then, since they are extremely expensive, fuel-consuming, take long to build and are vulnerable.

Well, since there is an upcoming expansion I just wanted to ask if there is the chance of something like this could be implemented. There are occasions where I really miss this. For example, what do I do if I want to send troops to Nationalist China as Germany? In reality there was no problem at all with that, but here (if I am at war with Japan) I can just forget it.+
The whole transport system is abstracted anyway, since there is no load/unload time and you can load any type of division on a ship. So I don't see why this should only apply to ships.

You can add a line in your units you want to have "airlifted"(They will be also airdroppable due to the game mechanics):
can_paradrop = yes

The germans had the ME323 Gigant as a "Supperguppy" of that times, that could load up to ~15 tons of equipment..
So it was successful in deliver supply to Africa if it arrived(Many were shot down over Malta due to bad air cover..), but it is also very(!) costly to do.

Noone would do it if you can avoid such tasks.

Sending troops to china via a rebase command to a friendly port should do the trick aswell.. ;)

One 15cm howitzer weights ~5tons so you could do the math yourself how much flights/planes you need for the Art regiment alone.
(There are pics showing art+ horses loaded in a Gigant..)
The trail, all fighting man.. Hell of logistics work, but I agree it should be doable with the right amount of equipment..

Kind regards,
Chromos

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried the gamey approach of mixing airborne with regular infantry nad then loading to a plane?

Well, I get your points. But I don't see why there would be such a huge difference between Paratroopers and Infantry (if Infantry weighs a bit more).
You misunderstand. An infantry division was not "a bit heavier" than paratroopers. It had (i.e. needed to function) a lot of equipment that would not fit on any transport plane. At all. Or, if it would fit, it would be like one entire plane per piece of equipment. So to be airlifted, that division would have to go without trucks, horses, most artillery, engineering equipment, and so on. So it would become, like, an airborne division. Remember that even now only some planes can carry the really heavy equipment, and even then it's preferred to move by road, rail or sea.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried the gamey approach of mixing airborne with regular infantry nad then loading to a plane?
Don't work. Air landing capability is checked on brigade level.

You misunderstand. An infantry division was not "a bit heavier" than paratroopers. It had (i.e. needed to function) a lot of equipment that would not fit on any transport plane. At all. To be airlifted, that division would have to go without trucks, horses, most artillery, engineering equipment, and so on. So it would become, like, an airborne division. Remember that even now only some planes can carry the really heavy equipment, and even then it's preferred to move by road, rail or sea.
An infantry brigade is twice as heavy an airborne one. 10 versus 5. And as I said, artillery etc. could be modelled as being disassembled and, with a attack delay, reassembled.

Why not just build lots of airborne and have support brigades conveniently loaded across your territory to immediately attach to? This is what I have done before. I used my airborne Corps' as a fast mobile reserve.

The infantry used different types of equipment over the para troops. Heavier caliber motors, artillery and AT guns. Since the planes simply didn't have the lift capacity for this equipment the values for the infantry unit would have to be different from one that towed or used horses to get their equipment there. It unbalances the infantry units.

We are not talking about some guys getting on a plane with their weapon. We are talking about all the rest of the stuff the division uses. Para units had special equipment that could be lifted in gliders. Infantry did not at this time.

I would like to see that you could air transport MTN troops between different airfields. Of course not drop them in hostile territory but use them to reinforce bridgeheads captured by paratroopers. They had light and dismantable equipment, for mule transports etc, so they would fit into transports planes.

I agree HQs would be nice as well.

I would like to see that you could air transport MTN troops between different airfields. Of course not drop them in hostile territory but use them to reinforce bridgeheads captured by paratroopers. They had light and dismantable equipment, for mule transports etc, so they would fit into transports planes.

I agree HQs would be nice as well.
As was done with Ringl's boys on Crete.