Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I do hope that the Rear Admiral is ok, since no one has heard from him in a few days!

You'd think he'd be happy now that we've got some real enemies to fight! :D

He'd have your head for implying the Charlies are not real enemies.

March 12th, 2031. Our chain of sensor buoys is running out of reactor endurance, and it has become necessary to make another tour of Known Space with the Battle Fleet, replacing the defunct buoys. Our Reptile class Mine-Layers will be finished in about fifteen months, so only one more such Fleet exercise will be needed, sometime next year. After that, the Reptiles can take over the job of maintaining our sensor network.

EDIT:

A new jump point has been located in the Gliese 229 system... the seventh in that star system. Commander Chaos in ESN Ptolomy is investigating it now.

EDIT:

The new Gliese 229 jump point leads to the new system of Kapteyn's Star. The system contains a Mars-like planet, with cold (-63 degrees) temperatures and a thin Nitrogen/Oxygen atmosphere... a target for future terraforming. An M2-V Red Dwarf primary, one rock-ball, one rocky planet, one gas giant, three super-jovians, 88 moons and 54 asteroids.

Last edited:
Commander Trajan in ESN Agassiz has detected a new Alien race in the Kuiper 41 system!

G_164_Kuiper_1.jpg

G_165_Kuiper_2.jpg

Rat-Boogers! :mad: That was the nice class 0.5 world that we found recently... wouldn't you know someone was already living there...

Commander Trajan will reverse course and try to leave the system... we are running out of Geo-Scouts. He'll leave this for the Diplomats to handle. I'll form a second Diplo team and set them to work on establishing contact with these dudes.

Since we haven't seen any sign of space-ships or missiles, it's possible that these guys haven't invented space-flight yet. This is uncommon (in-game), but not unheard-of. We will tentatively name them "The Hix".

If that turns out to be true, Commander Trajan should be able to leave the system safely. On the other hand, if he gets intercepted and blown up before he can reach the exit jump point, then we'll know that these guys aren't hicks after all.

Since we haven't seen any sign of space-ships or missiles, it's possible that these guys haven't invented space-flight yet.

Very good! I sense an opportunity to increase the competetiveness of Pratt Shipping by relocating production facilities this promising emerging planet, as well as to improve our CSR profile by supporting the local economy and civic society by investing in sustainable and locally adequate employment opportunities and infrastructure!

TL;DR: Can we enslave them, in case they don't have a nuclear shotgun under the bed?

Very good! I sense an opportunity to increase the competetiveness of Pratt Shipping by relocating production facilities this promising emerging planet,

This. We`ll flood their markets with cheap and technologically superior products, thus destroying their own industry and forcing them into economic dependency. Hm...now that I write it, it sounds kinda familiar. :D

Very good! I sense an opportunity to increase the competetiveness of Pratt Shipping by relocating production facilities this promising emerging planet, as well as to improve our CSR profile by supporting the local economy and civic society by investing in sustainable and locally adequate employment opportunities and infrastructure!

TL;DR: Can we enslave them, in case they don't have a nuclear shotgun under the bed?

If they are primitive barbarians, there is only one thing to do: Wipe them out and colonize the world with good human stock! :D

G_166_Kuiper_3.jpg

Jeeze... the planet seems to be inhabited by a bunch of Nicaraguan Seals... didn't see THAT coming!

I notice that their relations to us are negative already... they must have heard about that clubbing-baby-seals thing.

If they have spaceships, we'll have to be doubly careful. Navy Seals and all.

As for negative relation: could it simply be that our ship was in-system too long?

The ESN Vesuvius has been launched, and all four of our Light Carriers are now operational. They are waiting for the shipyard to retool, for conversion to Mountain II class.

It does seem likely that they're less advanced, I agree. You'd expect something near a planet with a decent EM signature, even if it was just a freighter. I smell opportunity, especially since the Prix appear to be system-bound precursors and Charlie is well on the way to friendly status. It's not worth risking another geo-scout over, though, and the fleet may be some time from being combat ready depending how long refit will take.

... It's not worth risking another geo-scout over, though...

:rofl: I wasn't going to admit this, but I might as well come clean...

Just after posting that screen-shot, I mis-clicked, in-game. Instead of sending the Scout-ship out on a reciprocal course, as intended, I actually BUZZED the planet, passing closer to it than the Moon is to Earth. Nothing happened. Nobody fired a shot at the ESN Agassiz, and they safely pulled away from the planet and exited the system. They are now in the Groombridge 1618 system, headed off on their next mission.

Did we garner any additional useful information from that buzz-flight?

I mean besides that we weren't shot at, which is something of a refreshing feel.

... I mean besides that we weren't shot at, which is something of a refreshing feel.

It's certainly a change from the usual: "Greetings!... We come in pea-" *Ka-BOOM!*

No, we didn't learn anything except that no ships of any sort are located at the planet, either on the ground or in orbit. It's quite possible that these dudes haven't developed space-flight yet.

EDIT: Our Diplomatic team has established full communication with the new Aliens, who identify themselves as "The Salamis Imperium"... which strikes me as a rather grandiose title for a bunch of Nicaraguan Seals. We will call them "The Salami", and perhaps we shall devour them eventually.

It's quite possible that these dudes haven't developed space-flight yet. Our Diplomatic team has established full communication with the new Aliens, who identify themselves as "The Salamis Imperium"... which strikes me as a rather grandiose title for a bunch of Nicaraguan Seals. We will call them "The Salami", and perhaps we shall devour them eventually.

I suggest we rename our civilization "The Jerx" and commence orbital bombardment.

It is both unwise and cruel to leave those baby seals vulnerable to alien invasion, we must offer them to join our club. Along with all the wealth and industry they have.
Right now they are a potential threat should they discover TN technology or an useful addition to a potentially hostile alien race. WE should be that hostile alien race! Any potential gains should they become friendly are miniscule.

I suggest we rename our civilization "The Jerx" and commence orbital bombardment.

Why would we want to spoil a perfectly good planet and useful peop..citiz.. Slaves!?!