• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Something interesting here to see from the politicians from other parties always like to label the SNP as a party of radicals, fire-eaters, and secessionists, yet we are nothing more than a party which peacefully looks to preserve the Union! If anything, I propose, to the leader of the Southern Nationalist Party, that we try to re-brand ourselves, to stop giving ammunition to these other politicians from other parties, It is here that I propose to keep the same party ideals, but, after this election, change the name of the party to something that goes to the root of your noble cause, to preserve the Union. Thus, I propose a party name along the lines of "Constitutional Union Party", "Union Party", "National Union Party". These, of course, are only suggestions.

John Hensdale (SNP-Virginia)

Something interesting here to see from the politicians from other parties always like to label the SNP as a party of radicals, fire-eaters, and secessionists, yet we are nothing more than a party which peacefully looks to preserve the Union! If anything, I propose, to the leader of the Southern Nationalist Party, that we try to re-brand ourselves, to stop giving ammunition to these other politicians from other parties, It is here that I propose to keep the same party ideals, but, after this election, change the name of the party to something that goes to the root of your noble cause, to preserve the Union. Thus, I propose a party name along the lines of "Constitutional Union Party", "Union Party", "National Union Party". These, of course, are only suggestions.

John Hensdale (SNP-Virginia)

Unfortunautly changing the name at this point would only serve to confuse. Your point is valid, but at the same time we only gained our current position by atracting or frightening the other parties into dissolution. Let us see how the election playes out, unless we are decimated I see no reason for such radical measures at such a uncertain time.

((And BBB would have kittens if I changed the name, hes probably modding it in now))
((And in the future please express concerns to me via PM, we must present a united front or we will be percieved as weak))
((No Offense meant, you have been a wonderful addition to our party and will continue to be))

I Senator Nicholas Gafferty of the state of Montana vote YAY on the Davis Compromise. This bill may not be perfect but it is necessary to preserve the union and save the people of texas.

I Senator Nicholas Gafferty of the state of Montana vote YAY on the Davis Compromise. This bill may not be perfect but it is necessary to preserve the union and save the people of texas.

Voting has not actually started yet, a few people (Including my Party) did not realize this and charged headlong into voting early on as well, so dont feel bad. And where do your sympathies lie Senator?

(( You know, a party formed around a single poster in an authoritarian form only works when there is only one party like that - like I said before, only one poster has been allowed to make an original party. As soon as there are multiple original parties, a single ego will never be able to maintain a single party - it would split too easily.

Parties like the Whigs and Democrats are actually less likely to split, as they are not based around a single person's ego - they are parties that can change with the primary votes and with the candidates, rather than having a domineering founder pushing out other factions. A party like the SNP could never function as a big tent the way the others could. ))

(( You know, a party formed around a single poster in an authoritarian form only works when there is only one party like that - like I said before, only one poster has been allowed to make an original party. As soon as there are multiple original parties, a single ego will never be able to maintain a single party - it would split too easily.

Parties like the Whigs and Democrats are actually less likely to split, as they are not based around a single person's ego - they are parties that can change with the primary votes and with the candidates, rather than having a domineering founder pushing out other factions. A party like the SNP could never function as a big tent the way the others could. ))

(( Maybe, if said egomaniacal poster was to stop posting said party would almost certainly collapse. But at the moment the SNP is one of the bigger apparent groups considering the whigs have split into two factions and the remaining democrats have dissapeared for unknown reasons. I Bet we could function as a "Big Tent" but it would require some decentralization, remember though Colonel Davis was born in 1798 and as such is not likely to die until the 1870's and by then said poster might have groomed a succesor))

Edit: (( I don't know if you can tell but Im actually taking a break right now, yesterdays 12 hours of campaigning and todays 7 were quite mentally exhausting, but i do like polite conversations like this))

Unfortunautly changing the name at this point would only serve to confuse.
((nah, let's just rename every party the National Union Party and see what happens))

((I'm not Omega, but I for one would be fine with moderating the platform as long as he, being the incumbent, is still the candidate of the National Union or what have you. Ditching Rufus King for someone more moderate to get votes would make sense in real life, but not in the context of this thread/game where a moderated platform will be enough to get votes. I for one am not going to vote against the incumbent President in the primaries. The true Whig paired with a moderate Whig/Democrat VP, or to plausibly give BBB the excuse to put moderate policies in there too, a moderate leader of the National Union in the House of Representatives))
((But is King going to moderate his policies? It seems that the radical wing of the Whigs, upon seeing the danger of being so radical so soon, solidified their support of it. Given that the president presided over a disastrous rule in terms of politics and popular support (although the moderate common good economic policy and others provided some great prosperity hidden in that), the party would have quite some doubts about his electability and the sense of keeping him. It's sort of like the situation as with Franklin Pierce, who lost the primary after his term created huge divisions between the north and south over contentious and unpopular (in both sides to some degree) decisions and events that happened during it.

So anyway, what do the Democrats think or their position and possible coalitions or united fronts? We've heard from the radicals on both sides, and from the moderate Whigs, but not from what's left of the Democratic party. ))

3. ((It is impossible to simultaneously support the compromise and crusade against the ratio, considering it is a integral part of it));)
Unless, like some reasonable people in the Senate, one supports the good clauses of the compromise out of their own rationality and necessity, but seeks in other ways to amend or annul the arbitrary and unnecessary side issue folded in among the compromise. While the Davis Compromise might be itself wrapped around the foolish notion, compromise in general and with many similar principles, is wholly unrelated to the damaging clause.
- Senator Gallatin

Unless, like some reasonable people in the Senate, one supports the good clauses of the compromise out of their own rationality and necessity, but seeks in other ways to amend or annul the arbitrary and unnecessary side issue folded in among the compromise. While the Davis Compromise might be itself wrapped around the foolish notion, compromise in general and with many similar principles, is wholly unrelated to the damaging clause.
- Senator Gallatin

The Davis Comprimise is designed to be a balacnce of concessions, the 1:1 ratio is not too much to ask for considering we are essentially forfieting slavery where it doesnt already exist or in new territories and curbing its excesses where it does. In addition the military seems to support the comprimise's stand on the ratio as southerners make better soldiers anyway.

-Colonel Thomas J.L. Davis
-Long Live the Union and Long Live the South

*Cough*

((I think you have not heard from the remaining democrats because they recognize that they can't win on thier own and they are torn between the moderate whigs who hold certain ideals contrary to thier own values and the SNP which is more similar in values but viewed as dangerious and Militant))

I, Sebastian Carr, hereby announce the formation of the New York Republican Party, which from this moment forward, strives for the secession of New York from the Union.

((lol, couldn't resist :p))

Name: John Rus Born: 1795 Member of the New York City council
Sebastian Carr I fully support you. Will you run for President.

((I Believe that BBB explixcitly forbid the forming of more new parties without his position, don't get me wrong. A party like this would split the whigs further and play into my hands))

Also, please remember that I still control this thread, so don't start new parties willy-nilly.

and indeed he did

Voting has not actually started yet, a few people (Including my Party) did not realize this and charged headlong into voting early on as well, so dont feel bad. And where do your sympathies lie Senator?

Actually, voting on the Compromise is on. It's that some of the SNP was already voting in the Primary, or even Presidential.

Well, you kept it very civil. :)

As for the National Union/Democratic-Republican Party question, if there's no definite answer from the Democrats & Whigs by 5PM GMT today, I'll run the primary with both parties intact.

Actually, voting on the Compromise is on. It's that some of the SNP was already voting in the Primary, or even Presidential.

Well, you kept it very civil. :)

As for the National Union/Democratic-Republican Party question, if there's no definite answer from the Democrats & Whigs by 5PM GMT today, I'll run the primary with both parties intact.

((Thank You for the further clarification on voting, it seems my predictions that the moderates would want to form a coalition but be unable to due to a lack of leadership is coming true))

Edit: ((and it is already after 5PM today so what do you mean, tomorrow perhaps?))
Edit: Never Mind, Grenwhich Mean Time, not Mountain time oops........

[[I was playing along. thought it would be good if anyone else tried to vote for that idea too.
Looking back probally wan't the best idea sorry.]]

Last edited:
Edit: ((and it is already after 5PM today so what do you mean, tomorrow perhaps?))

I'm talking GMT time. Over here it's 7AM and in London it's 5AM. :)

Arthur King would like to know who the heck Rufus King is, but certainly knows he's not president.

As for the union of Democrats and Whigs, lets have a referendum of the members of the parties.

Would you support a dual ticket of the Democrats and the Whigs, united under King?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Only if a Democrat is VP/if someone else runs instead.

Arthur King would like to know who nthe heck Rufus King is, but certainly knows he's not president.

((Rufus King cannot into white house?)):D