• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow. I for one am really impressed. Making buildings built through magistrates should make prioritizing key. No more building one of everything everywhere! And the new building options look great. Thanks a lot.

Cityview isn't a priority for me either, but I admit I'm a little sad to see it go.

Wow. Maybe I'll actually care about what I build for the most part now.

I just built things as they came before.

It's interesting that you'll have to chose between building forts or province improvements.

Can you though bulldoze buildings when you build something, then later wish you had built something else?

Wow. Maybe I'll actually care about what I build for the most part now.

I just built things as they came before.

It's interesting that you'll have to chose between building forts or province improvements.

Can you though bulldoze buildings when you build something, then later wish you had built something else?

It's not a this or that thing when it comes to fortifications or improvements. It is that you have to manage well your magistrates so you have to decide if its a priority to build one or the other first.

This sounds really great I must say. Finally something to really look forward to. :)

But.. There is always a but.
I think it's a great way to make expansion through conquering harder, it's always been to easy. But.. It looks like it could make expansion through colonization even harder. I'm a bit worried about the balance there.

Would the need for a magistrate be a modable thing for each building? It sounds quite logical, then we could always experiment with letting level 1 forts be magistrate free. :)

And as some people have mentioned. I hope there are some way to ease the micromanagement. It wasn't fun to go through the national focus provinces each time I had a free magistrate and it looks like it will be even worse now..

Or otherwise allow national 'auto-build' decisions similar to what modders created for HttT province decisions (starting with Darkrenown's 'road' mini-mod and expanded from there).

Yes actually since I suspect that Paradox will just go along with whatever they have planned already, fan-made "auto-build" events might be the only way to prevent excessive magistrate-micro.

So its equally important to make sure all the new buildings can be added via events.

I'm happy to see city view go. It's annoying and inaccurate, and often glitchy. It's been a pointless feature from EU1 on and I'm pleased to see it replaced with something useful!

I don't see how requiring magistrates to build things like forts is any more or less micromanagement.

Whether they cost magistrates or not, they still require you to open up the province screen and click to build the fort.

The only additional step required now is that you need to make sure you have a spare magistrate available.

I suppose the fear is that, to take a drastic example, "pause, build 200 workshops" becomes 50 x "pause when you have 4 magistrates, build 4 workshops". Endlessly stopping the game to build obvious buildings is worse than doing one bulk order for them, so serious care has to be taken to avoid that.

City view has always been an absolute waste of space and Im glad to see it gone and replaced with something worthwhile. City view squandered a lot of valuable real estate, and as for those who want a toggle feature I hope Pdox dont cater to their demands. Im sure that 3D city view crap requires some graphical power. so hopefully by getting rid of this needless waste of space Pdox will be lessening the load on all our computers leading to a more fun and stable gaming experience.

Why would they ignore their own boards? Some like a city view and some do not so why not a toggle. How it effects gameplay I can't go into but if having a City View is a taxing load on your computer get a new one.

Because those of us who are anti city view are as much a part of these boards as those who want it, and imo we outnumber those who want cityview. And my computer is perfectly fine, thank you, but if paradox can do something to lessen the load even more, giving me longer battery life at no loss (which is what this would be for me and other cityview haters), then they should do it. I just fear a toggle function will mean that city view is there hiding on the background using up cpu cycles, etc. I just dont think Pdox should compromise on scrapping cityview if there is a moderately noticeable performance difference between a toggle function and completely scrapping cityview.

First off, I think that requiring magistrates for buildings is a really good idea - except for level one forts.
This has got more to do with the flaws of fortification system than the idea that forts are special, but even the most offensively-focused player needs universal lvl1 forts at the moment. It's just not worth leaving a province unfortified in the event of enemy cavalry slipping past your lines, or opportunist rebels, or even worse, a defeated and retreating army you're in the process of hunting down slipping into an unfortified province and, in controlling it, cancelling anything you've got going on and saddling you with nasty penalties.
Give us a (quite short, probably) occupation period à la Vicky 2 and I'll quite happily splash out a magistrate before I get a fort, but as long as a few hundred dispirited cavalrymen fleeing from defeat at the hands of my armies can tear down my construction, disperse my recruits, and kick out my missionary in the one day they're in the province before I massacre them, it's going to be necessary to build a fortification, and I don't want to spend every last magistrate on building forts.

2. If there is no system to automatically spend extra magistrates, this may bring us back to the old reality where you have to click every province one by one to make your upgrades. (Remember the sweet joy of trying to find WHICH "More Than Three Provinces needs a Temple", knowing you'd only know once you wittled it down to Three?)

You can find out very easily in the ledger. Just click the 'provinces can build' alert, which will bring you right to the building page of the ledger. Then, you can sort the list of provinces by building type (or other factors, such as base tax) and build the improvements right from the ledger.

Worldbeing:

Perhaps as a compromise level 1 forts can be built without magistrates, while everything after that can require a magistrate.

Worldbeing:

Perhaps as a compromise level 1 forts can be built without magistrates, while everything after that can require a magistrate.

If they do it like that, then perhaps they could make them cost more magistrates as the levels increase.

You want that awesome level 6 or level 7 fort?

It's gonna cost you 5 magistrates and set back building the economy in the rest of your empire! :p

I very much hope Paradox doesn't waver and Level 1 Forts do cost a magistrate. That way, colonial empires will have to spend all their magistrates for them and thus not get any economic buildings, which makes colonization more expensive in a nice, indirect way. As colonizing is way too profitable as of now, that's actually a good thing.

I very much hope Paradox doesn't waver and Level 1 Forts do cost a magistrate. That way, colonial empires will have to spend all their magistrates for them and thus not get any economic buildings, which makes colonization more expensive in a nice, indirect way. As colonizing is way too profitable as of now, that's actually a good thing.

The problem is that religious rebels can convert and massacre a quarter of the population in the one day they spend in an unfortified province, nationalists can add cores and revolt risk, and everything in the province goes to a dead stop if even a single defeated rebel touches anything without a fort. If fortifying becomes more difficult, I predict that religious rebels walking around and massacring and spreading religion (even from neighboring countries) will cause havoc.