• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me, this is way more interesting that the sum of the previous 3 diaries...

What will happen to building which have conditions if the conditions cease to be respected? Are they going to stay, or are they going to be destroyed? The main examples would be the Royal Palace when the capital is moved, or a March when its province get cored.

The provincial decisions not tied to buildings are staying, correct?

I'd hate to lost my 'Promote Cultural Unity' button to this new system, as fantastic as it is :p

But it does raise the question of magistrate usage, if magistrates are as strangled as they were in HTTT when this comes out, decisions like that will be almost impossible to take due to the need for buildings out and about.

I'm very happy with this diary (and the inclusion of 2 screenies officially nullifies my dissatisfaction with the previous diary). This is an excellent development, and I have 2 questions:
1) I didn't see any mention of the cultural specific buildings mentioned in the initial release.
2) Are forts 5/6 mutually exclusive like the other top tier buildings? If not, would you consider eliminating that hash line between them and the rest of the forts?

This looks interesting and promising :)
Though, as said, it will require some serious adapatation of players' gameplay ;)

And the magistrate requirement will be "interesting" if you play a big empire...

Perhaps larger nations should get more magistrates but you get a penalty to magistrates for not having a core on provinces. . .just an idea.

Great dev diary. yep, the "City View" is not needed, looks "pretty" but no function. This should make managing all those buildings a lot easier! :)

apart from the "Achievement system", I'm really looking forward to DW!! :D

Definately more magis needed for bigger nations like suggested above.

Thanks a lot, Besuchov, for these great news.

Welcome, Captain Gars :)

Am i right to assume that, for a given province, that the last two levels of fortifications will enter in the competition with all the other top levels of the other building categories ?

And finally the city view is gone, someone I have argued for since EU3 1.0. :D

Second that. And now things are better organized as well!:)

Agreed. I hope that since Paradox is so determined to give Asia more attention, that the Khmer have cores on their ex-Empire. Most of Siam and Vietnam, no? I have a map on my wall showing me the extent of the Khmer at 1296 AD. Very impressive, they should atleast have cores on Siam minus the peninsula and most of Vietnam, from what I can see based off their expansion.

It seems that you have good ideas here but I must raise some issues:

1. This could be micro-intensive in a bad way: because of the current limit of 5 Magistrates, the player will no longer have to build 200 workshops at a time, but instead, he'll have to build 5 workshops every 5 months (example, of course, subject to income of magistrates, but still). (This is not theoretical: I already have this problem in HTTT with roads)

2. If there is no system to automatically spend extra magistrates, this may bring us back to the old reality where you have to click every province one by one to make your upgrades. (Remember the sweet joy of trying to find WHICH "More Than Three Provinces needs a Temple", knowing you'd only know once you wittled it down to Three?)

We have to keep in mind most EU3 players manage Large Empires.

My suggestions: Increase the limit of maximum magistrates and export this value to Defines.

AND/OR

Make it so that any magistrate income past 5.00 is automatically spent on building non-unique structures in the provinces where the AI thinks it makes the most sense.

Without either of this, the game could increase in frustration for large empire instead of becoming most fun. Even now in HTTT, we have this problem to an extent with decisions. Please dont overlook :)

Aw man, no more city-view! :(

I survive. I'm glad to see this though. This really feels like the first DD where we're getting a good reason to get this expansion. The rest have felt pretty underwhelming (no offense to PI). I think this alone could be one of the best improvements we had to the game in any of the expansions so far. I'd really like to see how it plays out and if it really makes me specialize certain provinces or areas over others. If so, it could give that extra bit of gameplay that many people complain isn't there, which is what to do when you're not warring.

What does this mean for the National Focus? One of the primary functions of the NF was to facilitate special provincial decisions that I assume many of which are going to be buildings now. It was smart to constantly move around the NF so you can enact as many decisions in as many provinces as possible. I guess we'll still want to do land reforms, but are there going to be new NF specific decisions to replace the lost ones like grain silos, post offices, and road networks?