• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Exactly! Everyone knows that unless you research how to make a gun you can't use a gun. It's just how the world works!

Edit: Didn't mean for this to sound mean, it's mean to be more light hearted. :(

Er yeah, obviously creating a modern Westernized army for Ethiopia would only be a matter of agreeing to accept "techs" from other AIs at no penalty, leading to a technological equilibrium. That's a great system. I sure will miss it.

Exactly! Everyone knows that unless you research how to make a gun you can't use a gun. It's just how the world works!

Edit: Didn't mean for this to sound mean, it's mean to be more light hearted. :(

Don't worry: the man has no heart. He isn't kind even to himself :p

Er yeah, obviously creating a modern Westernized army for Ethiopia would only be a matter of agreeing to accept "techs" from other AIs at no penalty, leading to a technological equilibrium. That's a great system. I sure will miss it.

Wouldn't that be solved though by making army doctrine, army leadership and military science techs function as cultural ones - that is, not be tradable?

Wouldn't that be solved though by making army doctrine, army leadership and military science techs function as cultural ones - that is, not be tradable?

I don't really like seeing the AI trade with itself at no penalty in any area to be honest. Though military techs did always seem to be the greatest problem.

Don't worry: the man has no heart. He isn't kind even to himself

That's quite insightful of you. ;)

You mean like British made with Bengal Army, Madras Army or Bombay Army?

Yes, if Ethiopia is your puppet, you are sending advisors, introducing new technologies and helping them to modernise. It is a part of fun - I always used to help my puppets by giving them technologies.

Last edited:
I really liked Vicky 1 tech system - combination of directed R&D and semi-random inventions triggered by events was creating sort of a balance between full control over the process and historical limitations.

I'm just curious if R&D system is more open in terms of extra layers of technologies that does not normally fit into 1836-1936 period. It would be good to have tech system reaching at least 10 years further, either for modding or for those sneaky players that outpace the historical pace of technological progress.

Does this sprite mean the game will have BOTH Pirates AND Ninja's?

Does this sprite mean the game will have BOTH Pirates AND Ninja's?
Might as well add kungfu exponent sprite for Boxer Rebellion.:rofl:

So big and small countries in completely different situations with the same level of literacy will still be researching at equal pace in all areas?

Shouldn't a lot of research be based on the state of the country and on the demands of the population, industry and the military at least to some extend?

I mean. Shouldn't it be a lot easier for GB with loads of iron and coal, and a real need of better infrastructure, to invent the railroad, than, say independent Cyprus with good literacy?

If industrialization is booming, then I think it should be easier to invent within production, than it should be for a country, that is still only producing fruit and grain.

In other words. Technology should also be a product of supply and demand.
Would it perhaps be possible to sort of use the practical skills of HOI3 research in Victoria 2?

Lots of rich capitalists gives a boost to economic research. Lots of craftsmen gives a boost to industrial research. Lots of aristocrats boosts agriculture, soldiers and officers boosts military and so on.

Also a populus of jingoists should be more likely to invent some kind of new gun, and a populus of liberalists would then research - I dunno - something else.

Please consider making research a dynamic product of the country and it's pop's demands.

Please consider making research a dynamic product of the country and it's pop's demands.

I cant see any possible explanation for this in innovation theory. It may be correct for corporations to try to fulfill demand with new technology, but maybe not. Much of the demand is created after the innovation. For example, the automobile or the airplanes have not been invented because someone has a demand. There is a lot of randomness and path dependency in it.

The whole technology system of vicky is so far of reality. But for a game it is great. You as the player can decide what to research. If this is just an equitation of pop demand, you are really bored.

I cant see any possible explanation for this in innovation theory. It may be correct for corporations to try to fulfill demand with new technology, but maybe not. Much of the demand is created after the innovation. For example, the automobile or the airplanes have not been invented because someone has a demand. There is a lot of randomness and path dependency in it.

The whole technology system of vicky is so far of reality. But for a game it is great. You as the player can decide what to research. If this is just an equitation of pop demand, you are really bored.

I don't want it just to be an equation of pop demand. I just want it to play a part in the speed of research of any given tech.
The randomness of the invention of the automobile and the aeroplane isn't completely random. It's hard to imagine any of these being invented in Tibet or in the heart of Africa. And that is not only because of low literacy. The need for any of the above is just not present in either places. Both inventions would however both find a need very quickly in the west. The demands where there allthough dormant.

A new banking system isn't invented just for the fun of it, but because there is a need for improvement of the existing one. The state of the country should therefore also play a part in the speed of research.

ipadbanner.jpg

I'm a bit irked that Prestige tied to researching Culture is still in. Firstly, states don't "research" culture (or much of anything outside the military for that matter);

to an extent they do: They do fund cultural institutions, universities, grant patronage to artists and thinkers...

Sure, they don't sit down and say "Let's discover Neokantian idealism!" But they DO pay the wages of the professors who do :p

The way i see it research points is an abstraction, representing the cumulative work of the intelligentsia in your country. When you "decide" research you're not acting in the capacity as government, but simply as an abstracted force that focuses the attentions of your people to certain areas.

to an extent they do: They do fund cultural institutions, universities, grant patronage to artists and thinkers...

Sure, they don't sit down and say "Let's discover Neokantian idealism!" But they DO pay the wages of the professors who do :p

The way i see it research points is an abstraction, representing the cumulative work of the intelligentsia in your country. When you "decide" research you're not acting in the capacity as government, but simply as an abstracted force that focuses the attentions of your people to certain areas.

Which is exactly what you are in all Paradox games. You are never the king/government/anything. As I once stated in HoI forum, you as a player are closest to Stalin in 1930s. Not HoS, not HoG, but the driving force of whole nation. It is still not very good analogy, but probably the best I can think of :)