• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice to see the AI is working for someone, a lot of people get relly frustrated if the AI doesn`t do exactly what they want, like the AI could read your mind :D. Besides the words "bloke" and "mate" sound way better than "dude". My english teacher was an american with a passion for British and Australian english. She said that the American english was a derivative language, which used only about 20% of the total words in english. So she insisted on teaching us "the real" english language, while always comparing it with the way it`s spoken differently in some other parts of the world. She made learning english great fun and exciting. (I`m getting OT again :eek:o). So, do You run the production, intelligence, research and diplomacy Yourself, or is it under AI management as well?

Nice to see the AI is working for someone, a lot of people get relly frustrated if the AI doesn`t do exactly what they want, like the AI could read your mind :D. Besides the words "bloke" and "mate" sound way better than "dude". My english teacher was an american with a passion for British and Australian english. She said that the American english was a derivative language, which used only about 20% of the total words in english. So she insisted on teaching us "the real" english language, while always comparing it with the way it`s spoken differently in some other parts of the world. She made learning english great fun and exciting. (I`m getting OT again :eek:o). So, do You run the production, intelligence, research and diplomacy Yourself, or is it under AI management as well?

I doubt that anyone is capable of using English to its full potential: I think there are something like 1 million words now. And its structure allows a whole range of different levels of usage.

As for "US English", I have always found it an interesting mix of old and new. Words like "fall" that fell out of common usage centuries ago live on in the USA. Other words have different meanings (like "biscuit"). I have had Californians tell me that they found me easier to understand than someone from Maine. I suppose what I am getting at in a roundabout way is that I would be nervous about claiming any country spoke "real" English.

Back to topic. I handled everything except the fighting. So all diplomacy, production, research etc. I enjoy all those bits and they are manageable. I also enjoy the military side, but having read all the criticism of the military AI I decided to let it run nearly everything and see what happened.

So far, so good. No disasters and, in my opinion, some nice touches. It doesn't head for an objective like a bull at a gate, rather finds the route of least resistance. It uses the air well (probably better than I do by hand as I tend to get sick of constantly changing missions).

I haven't tried a Barbarossa by hand, but suspect I would get a bit bored giving every unit an order.

The main reason, however, is because I like the feeling of letting go. I have built armed forces of a certain strength and capabilities: now I hand it over to my generals to use it to achieve my objectives. I don't want to start a "realism" thread (that way lies madness) but it does feel a little real.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

7th June to 8th June 1939

Perhaps I should go to bed thinking positive thoughts more often. The first news this morning was also positive: Krakow has fallen. Von Brauchitsch has captured Poland’s second largest city in a matter of days for a cost of only 231 dead. General Bor-Komorowski’s delaying tactics did not help him, and he and his two divisions are retreating inland, having lost 243 men.

cityfightfinal.jpg

Mopping up in Krakow on the morning of the 7th: events later the next day showed the caution was warranted

Even at that early time, there was jubilation in the Kanzlei. We are all aware now that we must capture the major Polish cities to force them to surrender. Simply destroying their armies may not be enough. With Krakow in our hands, our strategic objectives have been reset. The Army of Polen Nord will now concentrate on Warsaw, while the Army of Polen Sud will swing north and head for Lodz.

Further good news came during the morning. The British are still trying to bomb our cities, but the Luftwaffe has now set up an impenetrable shield. The bombers were first met over Halberstadt by Waber with his 3 geschwader, and by the time they reached what we believe was their objective, Leipzig, there were 5 geschwader involved. Needless to say, any bombing was completely ineffective and Bomber Command beat an abject retreat.

hampdenfinal.jpg

The good folk of Halberstadt have a memento of the air battle that took place above their town: the wing of a Hampden bomber destroyed by our fighters

We did lose another tanker today. This time the ship had travelled all the way from Bandar-e-Abbas only to be sunk nearly within sight of safety. The Danes trapped it off the Frisian Coast and several comments were made about the efficacy of our naval bombers that are supposed to be operating in the area.

Although General Zaiser has been forced to retreat (again) from St Wendel, we are not yet prepared to concede the province to the French (despite yesterday’s Wehrmacht reports of its loss). General Bock has managed to get his 36.Infanterie Division into a defensive position before the French could advance. At the moment he is facing two divisions (41st and 52nd) under Barreau, but he expects more attackers to arrive soon. He is already asking for assistance, and some is on its way. 1st Jagdfliegerkorps with it hundreds of Bf 109G fighters has been transferred to the Westwall Army and is moving to Bitburg.

stwendelfinal.jpg

Second Battle of St Wendel

During the afternoon Newall again tried to get his bombers through, this time by travelling through French airspace, but again was thwarted. Weise met him over Sarreguemines and inflicted severe damage. French fighters led by Basset intervened, but could not protect the bombers from the attacks of the “Richthofen” and “Schlageter” geschwader. We estimate that Bomber Command no.4 is down to below 80% strength. No planes reached their target.

Late in the afternoon two generals reported victories. General Bergmann has yet another successful operation, with Cehak in full retreat from Katowice, leaving 381 men behind. Our losses were only 222. But far more impressive was von Manstein’s achievement in Bydgoszcz. With less than 20,000 troops he has forced Mackiewicz with nearly 40,000 to pull back. Casualties were astonishingly low given the numbers involved. We lost 491 to their 979 dead. The general feeling among the analysts here at the Reichskanzlei is that the Poles are showing the effects of three weeks of continuous fighting under constant air attack. They predict that we should see few long battles in future: the Polish organisation is so low that they will break quickly under pressure.

We will soon see if they are correct: General von Wietersheim and his 11.Infanterie have been ordered to retake Rosenburg from Dworak and his 29th Division. How long will this take? And more importantly, how many casualties will we take?

rosenburgfinal.jpg

Third Battle of Rosenburg

Things are really looking up. When I reread my diary notes of the past few days, I am surprised how negative I appear. How can I have doubted the skill of our generals, the bravery of our troops and the overall leadership of the Fuhrer? At the moment, while the French are proving an annoyance, the war seems to be going well. Poland is crumbling, the Luftwaffe is guarding our cities and soon Denmark will be ours. No need for me to stay overnight: everything is under control.

I don’t know what happened overnight, but the French have managed to seize the province of Neunkirchen. It must have been left unguarded, or perhaps we just didn’t have enough troops to hold it. I do know that the first I heard of this embarrassing event was the Fuhrer’s raised voice as he moved down the corridor to his offices. He was demanding that every metre of our soil be defended, and that immediate efforts be made to regain our territory. I couldn’t hear the response of the unfortunate officer who was the recipient of the outburst, but within minutes I saw the order for General Brockdorff-Ahledorff to lead his 69.Infanterie into the forests of Neunkirchen and clear out the French.

neunkirchenfinal.jpg

Battle of Neunkirchen

Yesterday we assumed that the Battle of Krakow was over, but we were a bit presumptuous. As von Brachistsch advanced, he ran into a slight delay: Rommel and his Armia Poznan headquarters. There was some laughter when this news arrived here: the regular army officers joked that the headquarters troops needed to practice evacuation procedures. It was accepted that this was not a serious attempt to hold the city, more that the Poles were stragglers. Whatever the real reason (and maybe the Poles were bravely fighting against the odds), they had little hope against our troops attacking from two directions (Bielsko-Biala and Zory). Within 3 hours they were on the run, leaving 53 dead. We had not one casualty.

krakowfinal.jpg

Second Battle of Krakow

Kalkus re-appeared with his fighters over Namyslow, but Grauert’s Heinkels flying in formation, each with four MG 15s, had little difficulty holding them at bay. Nevertheless, I saw a few reports that asked for more defensive armament, pointing out that while adequate against the Poles, the two machine guns on each side might not be enough to deter the faster and more heavily armoured French fighters.

Otherwise, the day passed with only routine messages from the front and the bombing summary from the Luftwaffe.

Katowice: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 99, 93
Torun: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 99, 125, 84
Bydgoszcz: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 99, 122
Pirmasens: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 57, 121
Pirmasens: Sperrle with 2 x He 111 , 2 x Ju 87B: 133, 108
Namyslow: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 95, 94, 103, 55
Neunkirchen: Sperrle with 2 x He 111: 71
Krakow: Keller with 2 x He 111: 96

fallweissend86finalend.jpg

Fall Weiss at end of 8th June

That was it for me – time to pack up for the day. With Krakow now in our hands, surely the Poles must be close to accepting the inevitable? And once the fighting in the East was over, we would show the French what a modern army can do!

westwall86fianlend.jpg

Westwall at end of 8th June

Last edited:
The French seem to be shuffling considerable forces northwards, I wonder how many more troops they're going to send through the breached westwall and how their supply situation is.

Well, the more they send through, the greater the number that can be cut off once he gets his troops in order. ;)

It really is tense: As I have said, I try not to play too far ahead as I don't want to know too much of what happens. When I wrote the abov I was four days ahead.

So I really don't know what the French will do - and I'm not sure what the Westwall command will do!

The French seem to be shuffling considerable forces northwards, I wonder how many more troops they're going to send through the breached westwall and how their supply situation is.

I have noticed the drift north - I don't think you have seen a screenshot but some units are moving from the Italian border as well.

It may soon be time to cash in some credits with Mussolini!

As far as supply goes, I think they are having a little difficulty. There are so many units in the Maginoyt next to the breakthrough hexes that I think they are sucking up all the supply. I only say this as they have not launched a mass attack from Pirmasens or Saarlouis. They have the troops and the AI seems aggressive but I hav enopticed that the AI is reluctant to use units in attack if they are not fully supplied.

Well, the more they send through, the greater the number that can be cut off once he gets his troops in order. ;)

This is the grand plan, but I suspect they will be able to retreat - I won't be able to smash them quick enough. (Unless they make a hole 3-4 provinves deep, and I don't necessarily want that!

I may be able to follow them over the Maginot though - if they are sufficiently disprganised when I get there.

At the moment I just want my bombers to keep weakening them. I'll be sending more planes as soon as I can.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

9th June to 11th June 1939

At last a really relaxing day! The only interruptions were announcements of more victories from the east. General Przezdziecki has finally admitted defeat and is fleeing Namyslow, chased by the tanks of the 4th Leichte Panzer division. It took 5 days and 427 casualties (on our side: the Poles lost 1205) but von Eimannsberger is moving forward again. Guderian has taken Torun with minimal casualties, only losing 154 men. 28 Dywizjon Piechoity lost 347 men and is totally disorganised, but 1st Leichte Panzer needs some time before it can pursue the Poles.

tkstankettecaptured01th.jpg

Some of Hopner’s men of 4th Leichte Panzer try out captured Polish TKS tankettes: they may be of some use, but not for our armoured formations, not even the Leichte!.

Early in the afternoon some good news arrived from the Westwall Army. We have beaten back the French in St Wendel! Admittedly the cost was high, 699 men against French losses of 469, but at least we have held on. More divisions are heading to the frontline and surely we should be able to stabilise the defence soon.

Other than bombing reports, the only other event on the 9th was General Hell’s attack on the 27th Infantry Division and 12 Dywizjon Piechoty in the hills of Limanowa. The Polish General Schally also has 2 headquarters units (HQ Armia Prusy and HQ Skwarczynski) but these will not add much to his defensive strength. The terrain should suit 6th Gebirgsjager Division and, although outnumbered two to one, General Hell is confident of success.

limanowafinal.jpg

Battle of Limanowa

When I came in the next morning I found a report of yet another desperate attempt by the Poles to recapture Krakow. 29 Dywizjon Piechoty was thrown back by von Brauchitsch’s 24.Infanterie in less than three hours. Surprisingly, we suffered more casualties than the Poles: 21 to 16. But hopefully this is the last time they will be able to mount such an effort.

krakowfinal.jpg

Third Battle of Krakow

We are speeding up our movements in Denmark, if only to remove the presence of their fleet (another tanker from the USA lost today). Bottcher is again hitting Jorgensen, who is down to just over 3,500 men. It should not take the Sturm Marines long to capture the province of Svendborg.

svendborgfainl.jpg

Battle of Svendborg

Surprising news from the Luftwaffe: Westwall Army has decided to use the Gustavs in bombing runs. It seems as though the versatility of the Messerschmitt Bf 109G has finally been accepted by the air force mission commanders. I Jagdfliegerkorps has been split into two separate geschwader and one has been attached to Sperrle’s 1st Taktsischeluftflotte and has joined the attack on French troops in Neunkirchen. (The other is attached to von Greim’s 6th Taktischeluftflotte). I suppose the Gustavs can be used to strafe the ground troops and, if French aircraft turn up, fight for air superiority. At least they will be used.

During the afternoon, General Brand began and finished the Battle of Gorlice, in a lighting fast operation. His 3rd Gebirgsjagers made short work of Fabrycy’s Armia Modin headquarters, holed up in the hills. Even better, he lost no men in accomplishing it, while 82 officers and men from the headquarters staff did not survive the attack.

gorlicefianl.jpg

The short-lived Battle of Gorlice

The morning of the 11th brought the wonderful news that Wietershiem has liberated Rosenberg. Dworak took 1314 casualties before he admitted defeat, while his 29th Infantry Division managed to inflict only 484 losses on our 11.Infanterie. I do wonder about the effect of this continuous fighting on the population of these border provinces. With thousands of troops fighting, artillery barrages and planes bombing day and night, it must be absolute hell. And to think I was worried about a few bombing raids that never even occurred.

advancefinalfainal.jpg

Advancing back into Rosenberg, hopefully for good this time

I am starting to be a bit less concerned about the Westwall Army. Perhaps it is the old saying “No news is good news”, but I admit that the absence of any reports from the west strikes me as promising. While it means we have not won any battles, it also means we haven’t lost any either. (Heaven help a General who tries to hold up bad news from General von Blomberg! He is very keen on accurate and fast information flow, and I have seen him publically humiliate senior officers who delayed an unfavourable report by only a few hours, or who “sanitised” a bad result). Overall, the absence of news is good because every day brings the defeat of the Poles nearer, which means the French lose a day of opportunity to attack while we are weak in the west.

It may have been quiet in the west, but in Poland three more battles began. Early in the morning of the 11th von Kuchler sent 2nd Leichte Panzer (from Tarnowskie Gory) and the Falkenburg Division (from Falkenberg) to attack 11 Karpacka Dywizjon in Lubliniec. (This is the first action for the Falkenberg Division since it earned its new title – it has spent the past few weeks recovering). Von Kuchler is a four times better general than Podhorski, and with odds of more than two to one and a pincer attack he does not expect any significant delays.

lubliniecfinal.jpg

Battle of Lubliniec

Before midday Erwin Rommel found himself under attack in Allenstein. His 73.Infanterie is down to just over 9,000 men and he is fighting on three fronts. General Werobej has committed 3 full divisions from Rypin, Sensburg and Mlawa. This will be a tough test for Rommel and few here think he has much chance of holding his ground. His men are exhausted from their recent fighting and cannot be expected to perform miracles. This is the fourth battle over this province in less than a month: it must be devastated.

allensteinfinal.jpg

Fourth Battle of Allenstein

Finally at noon there was news from the west, but it was worth waiting for. Von Brockdorff-Ahledorff has amazed everyone by achieving victory in Neunkirchen. The French have been not only stopped but thrown back with 844 dead. We lost only 538 men, and now hold the province in strength. Let us hope we have stabilised the western front.

800pxpanzerrenaultr35fi.jpg

Not all the French escaped from Neunkirchen: a destroyed Renault 35 tank tells of the bitter fighting required to throw back the invaders

The third and last attack in Poland occurred late at night. General Pfeffer has taken the opportunity to hit some retreating Poles passing through Brodnica. I must admire his bravery: he is taking the 10,000 men of 21.Infanterie against General Praglowski who, on paper, has more than 32,500. While two of Praglowski’s divisions are likely to be completely ineffective, the other two are in good shape. Risks like this can make or break a general, and Pfeffer’s performance in the last few weeks has been good enough to give the military staff here at the Reichskanzlei confidence in his ability to pull it off.

brodnicafinal.jpg

Battle of Brodnica

The last three days have gone so fast, that we have only just received the bombing summaries. Nobody is complaining, as Fall Weiss is back on schedule in the east, Fall Rache is recovering from the recent reversal and, most importantly, the French have been halted.

fallweissendof116finale.jpg

Fall Weiss at end of 11th June

fallrachefianlend.jpg

Fall Rache at end of 11th June

Bombing Summaries

Luftwaffe

9th June

Pirmasens: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 42
Neunkirchen: Sperrle with 2 x He 111: 77
Pirmasens: Wolff with 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87B: 112, 137, 122
Limanowa: Keller with 2 x He 111: 103, 118
Neunkirchen: Sperrle with 2 x He 111: 91, 120, 88

10th June

Neunkirchen: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 44
Limanowa: Keller with 2 x He 111: 100, 118, 77
Neunkirchen: Sperrle with 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87B: 88
Neunkirchen: Sperrle with 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87B: 120, 99
Neunkirchen: Wolff with 2 x He 111: 76
Rosenberg: Kitzinger wqith 2 x He 111: 138
Gorlice: Keller with 2 x He 111: 142

11th June

Neunkirchen: Sperrle with 2 x He 111, 1 x Bf 109G: 138
Allenstein: Heller with 2 x He 111: 67
Sensberg: Kesselring with 2 x Ju 87B: 53, 51
Neunkirchen: Sperrle with 4 x He 111, 2 x Bf 109G: 134

Polish Air Force (11th June)

Mohrungen: Heller with 2 x Dywizjon Bombowy: 78

I hope someone on the French side is looking at the same bombing casualties and is recommending that their troops pull back the comparative safety of the Maginot line. Surely they will not persist in this invasion of the Fatherland? One thing is for sure: every day they remain on our soil is another day we grow stronger and more determined to remove them!

westwallendof116final.jpg

Westwall at end of 11th June

Last edited:
The war seems to go well, I'm surprised to see how annoying can be the Dane Navy. Concerning our hero, I hope he won't be caught while reading top secret files !
Nice photographs, by the way.

You continue to tell a great story, Uriah. Everyone awaits the next update, wondering what the next problem will be. :eek:

Looking great! Does anyone else share my sentiment that the occasional province exchange around the Siegfried line in HOI3 doesn't make any sence? If history lessons don't fail me here, I tought the French never launched a real attack during the Sitzkrieg?

-Vincent

Great AAR! Found it a couple of days ago and I'm hooked...

Thanks Marcolito - hope I can keep up your interest

Such a hard slog, in East and West. I just hope the Reich will get a chance to catch its breath before unleashing hell on France. :p

So do I, but I fear when the Poles finally give up there will be no break, just a switch to the West. Maybe a lull for winter.

The war seems to go well, I'm surprised to see how annoying can be the Dane Navy. Concerning our hero, I hope he won't be caught while reading top secret files !
Nice photographs, by the way.

Yes, I was surprised too, particularly as I have naval bombers over the area and they can't find anything. Our hero is a very cautious man, I'm sure he takes every precaution. As for the photos, I spend a fair bit of time looking for ones that are apposite and accurate to the storyline, but I also try to find interesting ones. I still wait for a post pointing out some awful anachronism or other error, like a shot claiming to be Rosenberg but is really Danzig (see last update!)

You continue to tell a great story, Uriah. Everyone awaits the next update, wondering what the next problem will be. :eek:

You should try playing it! Every time I think the Poles are done fresh divisions show up. And when the French didn't attack in the first few days I thought they were sufficiently awed by the Westwall. As for the Danish attack .....That is opne thing I like about the AI - it will try things out so you can't relax and say "OK, I know what will happen for the next 6 months" or "No need to garrison that border, they won't attack".

Looking great! Does anyone else share my sentiment that the occasional province exchange around the Siegfried line in HOI3 doesn't make any sence? If history lessons don't fail me here, I tought the French never launched a real attack during the Sitzkrieg?

-Vincent

Unfortunately the AI is not as reluctant to go on the offensive as General Gamelin. It called my bluff (correctly). The only thing that has saved me is that I have been able to strip the Dutch and Belgian borders to reinforce the Westwall Army.

In HOI3, you can't rely on history to play - you have to expect the AI to take advantage of local defensive weakness and to exploit success. If I had beaten back the first attack, I suspect the border would still be quiet.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

12th June to 14th June 1939

Sifting through the morning mail, a very pleasant surprise. Finally news from one of my brothers! Heinz has managed to find time to write a brief note and he remembered to use the official report system rather than the Heer Post. (If we used the standard post, the letter would probably take months and be censored to death. It seemed obvious to me to tell Heinz, Ernst and Christoph to use an official report envelope (the one used to send unit information) addressed to me at the Reichskanzlei. Not only did it speed things up, but they could write what they liked without worries of it being read by one of Goebbel’s men: they wouldn’t dare read mail addressed to a senior member of Minister Schacht’s Department.)

The letter was less than a week old, but I suspect it took Heinz a few days to get the right envelope as the official mail usually only takes a couple of days. He is well and – but it probably best to just include his letter.

Lieber Bruder

Yes, I know I promised to keep in touch, but things have been a little hectic since we entered Poland. I am well, and so are the rest of my crew. If you hear from Ernst, can you let me know how he is going? We don’t get any news here at the front, but there are rumours of some sort of action in the West, and I would guess that involve fighters.

This fighting is not at all what I expected. Most of the time we have been trying to break through the Poles, but they just keep putting more troops in the way. We have had 4 major battles, and have been pretty lucky in all of them, in that casualties in the tank regiments are light, though the infantry have taken more.

Mostly what we have been doing is roaring up the roads with the infantry trying to keep up in their trucks. When I say roads, I mean what passes for roads. If it had been raining, we would be still in the border provinces. Every now and then we come on a position the Poles are defending, and we assault the position. Our boys have every faith in General Manstein: he doesn’t spend his mens’ blood. Once we have identified the Polish defences, we go in slow at first, waiting for the bombers and artillery. I haven’t even seen anything that presents a real threat, though we have lost a few tanks to AT rifles and occasional artillery guns firing direct. But that is just bad luck, and this is a lucky tank.

bordercrossingfinal.jpg

Motorised infantry of 3rd Leichte Panzer on a typical dusty road: as they crossed the Polish border they decided to take the Customs sign as a memento.​

It took us five days to take Poznan, and then we were sent north to Naklo nad Notecia. The travelling is what is killing us. We are losing tanks constantly to breakdowns and getting parts and repairs is a real problem. By the time we have spent two or three days on the road about 25% of our vehicles are out of action, and the percentage of trucks is higher. At times we don’t have any infantry: they are all dozens of miles in the rear, waiting for transport. I hope someone is working on better equipment and repair services.

Naklo is where we saw Stukas for the first time. Brother, you would not believe how good these things are. You see a small bunch of dots in the air as you sit in front of a known strongpoint, wondering which lucky bugger is going to drive up the road first. Then the dots get bigger and suddenly, when they are nearly on top of you, they grow big really quickly and you realise they are heading straight down! And they are screaming! They make this incredible loud scream as they dive. Then you see they are aiming a kilometre or so in front of you and the farmhouses or woods where the Poles are holed up just explode! That’s the signal to race up and get them before they can recover. I hate to think what it is like to be on the receiving end.

Don’t get me wrong: we like the Heinkels too, but it just doesn’t seem as personally helpful. We see them day and night, high in the sky. They fly over, and then a few minutes later we hear the thunder and see the smoke on the horizon. The next day, we pass whatever they were hitting: a bombed out town, a string of vehicles burnt out along a road, a marshalling area devastated. Naklo was a hard fight, the Polish general Maczek seemed to know what to do, but we still won.

Next was Chojnice, that was a bit of a blur, we were fighting in forests and I didn’t like it one bit. I thought that every tree and shrub hid a Polish anti-tank gun. We wasted a lot of shells firing at rustling leaves. It didn’t help that von Manstein wasn’t in charge and some infantry general from3.Infanterie in Stolp was in overall command. We got through that OK though if I don’t ever see another straight branch pointing at me out of a low bush I won’t be unhappy.

armataprzeciwpancernawz.jpg

Why my brother was concerned: the wz36 (a Polish version of the Swedish Bofors 37mm anti-tank gun manufactured by Stowarzyszenie Mechanikow Polski z Ameryki). This is the identification photo issued to our panzer units. We have lost several tanks to these guns, and the Poles seem to have quite a few.

dzialonarmatyppancwz36.jpg

While Heinz didn’t run into any real anti-tank guns, some of his fellow panzers did come under fire. This photograph was taken from a prisioner, and shows the Polish gunners setting up their gun in preparation for the approach of our panzers.​

The last combat we were in was in Bydgoszcz. That was a real mess. We were sent in just after midnight and you really don’t want to see a tank regiment trying to advance into enemy territory in the dark. We basically let the infantry regiments go first, not that they were very keen either. It didn’t help that there were Poles everywhere, nearly 30,000 of them. Luckily they didn’t put up much of a fight, because they had been hammered somewhere else and were retreating. Mostly we just had a brief fire fight and then took prisoners. From the look of the ones I saw, they were exhausted, and they had no heavy weapons, so they probably had no choice. Whatever the reason it was a nice change, as everywhere else the Poles fight like mad. Anyway, after three days we reported the province secure, but really it was a shambles, most of the Poles got away, and we were so disorganised after blundering around that we will have to rest up for a few days. Plus hundreds of vehicles need more repairs.

poleprisonersfinal.jpg

Some of the Poles who surrendered in Bydgoszcz: they have been bombed and shelled for weeks now and have reached the limits of their endurance.​

How are things back in Berlin? Sleeping in a nice comfy bed and eating 3 square meals a day? Sorry, I shouldn’t make fun of you - I know you would be out here like a shot if you could.

Better finish up. The rest of the boys say hello.

Will send you another letter from Warsaw! Keep in touch and don’t forget to let me know about Ernst and Christoph.

herzliche Grusse

dein Bruder, Heinz

I’m glad he is OK. Even though I know the chances of him being a casualty were very slim, it was always nagging at me. It’s not quite the same with Ernst, if he got into trouble his Geschwader would know within an hour or so. In a battle, it may take days for information to make it to headquarters.

He included some photographs (I think it is his driver who is a keen photographer), some of which I have used above.

Back to business. Two more battles began in Poland before dawn on the 12th June. General de Angelis is using the speed of his motorised 60.Infanterie to chase four fleeing Polish divisions in Sieradz. Our information is that the Poles cannot put up much resistance, so although he is vastly outnumbered he is still expected to enjoy a quick victory.

sieradzfinal.jpg

Battle of Sieradz

Although Hopner is facing a slightly tougher opposition in Zloczew, he has the advantage of combined arms and is co-ordinating his attack from Ostrzeszow with 13.Infanterie (motorised) attacking from Kalisz. Again, this should not take long as the Poles are already weakened by prolonged fighting.

zloczewfinal.jpg

Battle of Zloczew

General Rommel has not managed to pull off a miracle. After taking another 265 casualties he is pulling out of Allenstein, as the Poles move in once again (they lost only 149). How long will the Poles hold the province this time?

And that was all the news for the day. Bombing reports, fuel requisitions, movement orders, promotion approvals etc as usual, but nothing that grabbed my attention.

The 13th started off the same way, with a flood of routine (and boring) documents that I had no compunction in delegating to junior staff. At noon came news from Denmark: Jorgensen has surrendered with his 1st Infantry. He had 418 men killed before he realised he had no hope and ordered his men to lay down their arms. More than 10,000 prisoners were taken, while our losses were kept to 380 killed and missing in action, believed dead.

Soon after General Hell reported he had taken Limanowa, but the fight must have been much harder than expected. He has lost 779 men to the Poles 469. He was vastly outnumbered, but we were told that the Poles were ready to break. Obviously no-one told the Poles. Our background material on the Polish general Schally must have been accurate, as his file refers to his expertise in defensive battles. He may be “old guard” but he definitely gave General Hell a lesson in overconfidence.

The Polish Air Force had been giving some trouble with Heller’s tactical bombers hitting our positions. Bogatch’s fighters met them over Marienburg early in the morning of the 13th and forced them to abort the mission. Heller’s bombers were not seen for the next few days.

Late in the evening the radio room received another urgent message from General Kesselring’s Army of the Westwall headquarters. The unfortunate Zaiser and his equally unfortunate 35.Infanterie are again under assault. This time there are only two French divisions involved (52nd and 14th), both from Pirmasens. But the 35th is down to just over 8,600 men and is still recovering from two defeats. Anxious expressions have returned to the faces of the Westwall liaison officers in the Reichskanzlei.

stwendelfinal.jpg

Third Battle of St Wendel

The next day, there was no news from the west on my desk when I came in, so Zaiser must still be holding on. I did hear a few adjutants talking in the corridor (security around here is getting very lax) and gathered that Zaiser is now facing three French divisions, but is using delaying tactics successfully.

There was, however, news from East Prussia. General von Wietersheim, the hero of Rosenberg, has moved to take back Allenstein. The Fifth Battle of Allenstein has commenced! The Poles can have hardly recovered from their attacks, let alone prepared defensive positions. It is still a gamble, however. Von Wietersheim’s 11.Infanterie is not fully organised and while he has a slight numerical advantage the Poles have the terrain in their side.

allensteinfinal.jpg

Fifth Battle of Allenstein

Within hours our concerns were justified. General Werobej’s 39 Dywizjon Piechoty (Rez) had been reinforced with the arrival of the 9th Division. The recapture of Allenstein, while not impossible, is now a much less likely proposition.

I did see amongst the mass of routine information mention of my brother’s squadron. They had been involved in an air battle over Metz but details were sketchy. Only one French air unit was mentioned, a bomber wing, and the air battle seems to have been brief. I must write to Ernst soon, if only to let him know Heinz is fine.

The confidence the Heer advisers had in General Hopner was well placed. Mid-morning he radioed in with a message that all resistance in Zloczew is over. The Poles are routed and, for the loss of 373 men, he has driven off more than 22,000, inflicting 823 casualties. Still no news from Sieradz: surely an experienced general like de Angelis shouldn’t be having much trouble chasing out a disorganised rabble? We have heard that he has managed to encircle some of the Poles, and that 71.Infanterie is moving to assist him, so perhaps we just need to be patient.

Once again that was it for the day. The bombing summaries as usual, and position reports from both fronts (even I now refer to the “two fronts” though I hate the expression). I see that Pfeffer has been joined in his attack on Brodnica by Guderian’s 1st Leichte Panzer from Torun (attacking across the Vistula) and Curtze’s 20.Infanterie (motorised) from Rosenberg. As if that wasn’t enough, 3.Infanterie (motorised) is getting ready to move from Grudiadz. Is this the beginning of a sweep to drive the Poles from East Prussia?

Bombing summaries

Luftwaffe

12th June

Sensburg: Kesselring with 2 x Ju 87B: 45, 52, 41, 67
Limanova: Keller with 2 x He 111: 129, 110, 121
Brodnica: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 88, 98, 97, 56
Mlawa: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 102, 84
Rypin: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 105, 121, 79
Rypin:Kitzinger with 4 x He 111: 145

13th June

Broidnica: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 126
Tarnowskie Gory: Keller with 2 x He 111: 88, 116, 57
Limanowa: Keller with 2 x He 111: 95
Brodnica: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 78, 98, 88
Siederadz: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 83, 100, 91, 78, 62
Pirmasens: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 54, 84, 81, 41

Polish Air Force

12th June

Allenstein: Heller with 2 x Dywizjon Bombowy: 70

13th June

Marienburg: Heller with 2 x Dywizjon Bombowy: no casualties inflicted, driven off by our fighters

westwallendof146finalen.jpg

Westwall at end of 14th June

fallweissendof146finale.jpg

Fall Weiss at end of 14th June

What intrigued me occurred very late in the day. A series of meetings were arranged on short notice, involving diplomatic staff and senior officers of the Heer and Luftwaffe. Early in the evening a delegation arrived, and as well as the standard diplomats in morning suits, there were several high ranking officers wearing what I am pretty sure is the uniform of the Magyar Honvedseg. Just before I left for the day I saw Minister von Neurath arrive (walking from the Foreign Ministry around the corner). I was sure something big was in the air, and this was confirmed when a brand new Mercedes 770 dropped off General von Blomberg. I suspect there will be a major announcement tomorrow, and, given all the secrecy, I suspect it will be significant.

Last edited:
Could've sworn that the third picture shows German infantry with an early anti-tank gun, something like 37mm or 50 mm. The helmets look quite the same, don't they?

I guess the Hungarians are finally joining your war effort in the east? Looking at the map, that would be terribel news for the Poles, who would suddenly find the equivalent of four to five army corps in their unprotected rear.

There seem to be two sectors in the south which are defended only by HQ units, I wonder why the AI isn't attacking there.

And by the way: What is the Kriegsmarine doing?

Could've sworn that the third picture shows German infantry with an early anti-tank gun, something like 37mm or 50 mm. The helmets look quite the same, don't they?

I guess the Hungarians are finally joining your war effort in the east? Looking at the map, that would be terribel news for the Poles, who would suddenly find the equivalent of four to five army corps in their unprotected rear.

There seem to be two sectors in the south which are defended only by HQ units, I wonder why the AI isn't attacking there.

And by the way: What is the Kriegsmarine doing?

Aha!!! Those are troops of the 10th Motorised Cavalry Brigade (10 Brygada Kavelerii), armed with the Polish manufactured version of the Bofors 37mm AT gun (wz.36 AT gun). The 10 BK wore black leather coats (that's why the Germans called it "die Schwarze Brigade") and was equipped with German Stahlhelm (the M1918 model with increased cut-aways for better hearing - very similar to the M1935) captured at the end of WW1.

Obviously this photo was taken from a prisoner captured by 3rd Leichte Panzer during fighting in Naklo nad Notecia, where Maczek was commanding the battle (Maczek was the commanding officer of 10 BK).

Of course, most Poles wore the wz.31 helmet, but it was found to be too heavy for tank and motorised troops, so they used the captured German helmets. And 10 BK was the only fully motorised unit the Poles had.

Phew! that was close!!! I survive a challenge! :D

Yes, I have decided to speed things up in the east. I think I can get to Warsaw before the Hungarians, but they will at least take a victory city or two, and may draw off a few units.

As for the unattacked HQ units, one is facing Hells's 6th Gebirgsjager which is recovering after an attack and can't move for another 6 hours. The other is faced by Brand's 3rd Gebirgsjagers. I think they will not attack as it would leave them open to a counter-attack by the cavalry unit to the south-east: being attacked while you are attacking gives a severe penalty.

The Kriegsmarine is being careful. Baltische Flotte is still patrolling the Baltic, while Nordseeflotte is off Denmark, making sure the Danes can't cross any straits. And keeping out of danger. The naval bombers are patrolling the German Nordsee coast, but haven't found any targets.

I am very wary to commit the KM anywhere until I get some idea where the main British fleets are - I don't want to suddenly find myself getting carved up by 6 x BB and 3 x CV. The Italians may tell me soon!