• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tinto Talks # 7 -10th of April

Welcome to the seventh edition of Tinto Talks, where we talk about really super secret stuff, that is hidden behind the code name of ‘Project Caesar’.

Today we’ll look into what makes up the economy in Project Caesar. Obviously, we’ll go into much more detail on some of these aspects in later Tinto Talks. Right now though, we’ll go through the incomes and expenses of a country in the game.

Every month you have running incomes and expenses that need to be balanced, and if your balance is positive, your gold is increased and you can use that gold to invest in other things.

And with balancing incomes and expenses, of course there are sliders. Having some buttons for just a few possible options for taxes or expenses, like in Imperator, is not really fitting for a GSG with deep economical gameplay.

PPVyAPKRbkGNi9xIYE5C6NOVXDxOaKswGQxu3b9gcCc5b8PaXSO_4sODLXCE9t-2sCfSwMaYbao8Y8IpjpMcZ-3Li3cjmXxnCuQHY888ARMvCKmuZeZi9YONLLwVmt6lqVB8kIxvg2TKYmGp4hQuBro

Incomes

If we start with income, you have trade-related incomes, which is a system we will delve deep into in early May, as well as diplomatically related income. You also gain gold from provinces (not locations) that sell surplus food they can not store in their local market. Neither of these you directly control with any slider though.

The bulk of most countries' income will come from taxes though, and taxes in Project Caesar are really different than before. First of all, every estate has a possible tax base, a concept we will delve into much more detail next week. This you can attempt tax from them, but every estate has a maximum tax you can take from them, which depends on your laws and their privileges, and how much power they have in your country. The higher the tax you take from them, the lower their satisfaction equilibrium becomes. Some examples of tax affecting things include the Catholic religion which limits the taxes on Clergy, and also the ‘Auxilium et Consilium’ estate privilege for the nobles, which reduces the tax they pay.

Finally, for something that has existed in some older of our games, we have minting. Now what is that you may ask? Minting is the possibility to get more money by printing more coins. It just has the slight drawback of increasing your inflation the more you do it.

mcArWw0iiueMRbtuRVgr3tLJUkvlZI-4vzXpCOFRgy7tlJ95fi9Ul9F_NgppYsABpYjJhR5M4JOoFIVmdhU5hoPFnmSFkPQRswUoYAr4dDXFYK9zZmS9jr1q8YQmfKv1XoSmTwnR0t27uOq3NINFcDE

Here we have the possibility to tax the commoners a fair bit more…

Expenses
We all do love gaining gold, but sadly we also have to spend it, and while we can reduce some of the spending, we can not completely avoid all of it.

First of all, we have the Cost of the Court. This is something that is directly correlated to the economic base of your country, and if you spend less gold than expected, your legitimacy, or equivalent applicable government power, will decrease over time, and the more you spend, the more legitimacy can increase. There are advances, laws, and other things that impact how much you need to spend here.

Then we have the cost for your standing army and navy, where spending less reduces their fighting capability. This is nothing new to our GSG games, so I am not sure why I need to mention this here.

Fort Maintenance is another common economic expense from our games, which is here as well. If you don’t pay, garrisons don’t tend to stick around.

Culture, this is an entirely new concept, which will become available in the Age of Renaissance, where you can invest money to get [TO BE TALKED ABOUT LATER], while also impacting your prestige.

You can also decide how much you wish to spend on your colonial charters, which is a new system we will talk about later this year.

Finally, the last thing you can impact with a slider is your investment in stability. The cost for how much your investments are needed depends on the size of your country, with different laws and societal values impacting it as well. Stability in itself ranges from +100 to -100, and will decay towards 0 on its own. There are two other ways to impact your stability gain, besides investing gold as mentioned here. One of them relates to the cabinet system, but another is a more long-term impact from how your country is built up, as it is based upon how many clergy pops you have of your state religion compared to the total population.

There are other expenses as you can see below, but one important thing to mention is that provinces that lack food will try to buy it from the local market.
2yQQjfeKu7xLnxbIQDUCpaLaDWxRaVY8r0ZloXbKvnsq3_jT82Ld10Zz_HlNw6AsPb2SLX3Gs2uZoac7oPPXpuJtQlw2FlhL0y5RZOf7vI7sKd2t7PcMBeg-sQi9H_BCSAU2EAlNEn6wP6ybQI4mmYE

Maybe maybe we should cut down on our fleet, and maybe we don’t need ALL those forts. Our standing army of 200 brave footmen is enough!

Next week we’ll talk more in depth about how the tax base functions, how the food system works, and some other related issues.

• 207Love
  • 179Like
Reactions:
Will there be more sophisticated dependencies in the economy relating access to various trade goods and production?

For example, the Low Countries relied on getting wool from England to supply its weaving industry. So in game this could mean something like having a plentiful supply of wool boosts your ability to produce cloth, etc. And not getting the raw supplies you need could lead to serious penalties.

• 37Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
letsgoooo

• 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Hello Johan, I am seriously sick and according to my doctor, the only thing that can save me is seeing the map of Carpathia in Project Caesar. Thanks you for your consideration.

• 160Haha
  • 54Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Hello Johan!

Super excited for the future of this project! I am very curious how the game will handle revolts, over extension and other systems of "player push back". They can be really difficult because they have to strike that balance between being engaging and interesting while simultaneously forcing the player to properly engage with the games other systems while limiting wild map painting.

It is something that I personally think a lot of other Paradox games struggle with, Eu4 in particular. In Eu4 revolts are incredibly tedious and often becomes a game of pausing and sending around dozens of armies on wild goose chases. Victoria 3s revolutions could be really interesting, as they are directly influenced by the politics and actions of your nation, and feel a lot more grand and impactful than Eu4 revolts. I do however think they didn't quite stick the landing, as they are often easy to avoid and aren't quite as devastating or perhaps rare as I think they should be.

So my question to you, how will Project Cesar manage revolts? I would really hope for a system that focuses on rarity but scale, as I think that is the best way to avoid tedium while still forcing the player to really manage their realm carefully.

Greetings from Sweden!

• 22Like
Reactions:
Will high taxation do more than only reducing how much a faction likes you? Could it reduce their influence (since they got no money), reduce the amount of pos, etc?

• 15Like
Reactions:
Is the taxation rates set in 'steps' (as in, every 5%) or rather it works in 1% increments?

• 6Like
Reactions:
Culture, this is an entirely new concept, which will become available in the Age of Renaissance, where you can invest money to get [TO BE TALKED ABOUT LATER], while also impacting your prestige.
I'm pretty sure this is talking about patronising artists like Michelangelo right?

• 21Like
Reactions:
I really don't like how gold is used as the currency when it's probably going to be a good in the game. I get Ducats can appear eurocentric, although I'm not sure of a better alternative

Edit: stop it, it’s already dead

Last edited:
  • 10Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions: