• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CO Word of the Week #10

Hi Everyone! Let’s talk about the patching process and upcoming patch landing soon for Cities: Skylines II.

Generally speaking, patching the game is something we usually try to combine with upcoming releases, and only work on solely bug fixing patches if we don’t have a suitable release we can wait for. Or the fix is critical to release as fast as possible - a so-called hotfix patch. You may remember the free updates associated with the DLC releases in Cities: Skylines and in the long term that is the goal with the sequel as well. It’s a good way to sneak in some cool features and improvements to all the players, beefing up the base game, and making certain features part of it while the paid content expands on those new features allowing us to continue developing the game forward. One of the first examples of this approach was After Dark where the free update added the day and night cycle to all players and the DLC itself had specific content and features for the nightlife.

So we are working to improve the quality of Cities: Skylines II, just like we did with the first game, and this includes both improvements to the base as well as creating new content as paid DLC. We worked at a fast pace after the release last October to get as many fixes in as we could. Patching the game so often does take resources in itself so we opted out for a less frequent pace to focus on bigger additions and more impactful updates in the future. Therefore the upcoming patch 1.0.19 is the last “stand-alone” bug fixing patch for now. Next time the bug fixes will be joined by the first of the modding support for the game, albeit it will not be the final version but a public beta one as mentioned last week.

We’re working on a wide variety of fixes and improvements on top of the missing modding support and platforms. We have a list of reported issues from both you, QA, and the team here at Colossal Order. These issues are sorted based on the level of their severity and the time it takes to implement them so that we can churn out as many improvements to the game as possible with the time and resources we have available.

In practice, the patching process starts with the build version being locked so that no more changes are committed to it by the devs. The build goes through at least one QA round, where the listed issues are verified as either fixed or still occurring. Any new issues with the build are reported as well. Any outstanding issues are fixed and the new locked build version goes to QA. This step usually takes less than a week but can take longer depending on issues found and how quickly those are fixed. After the devs are happy with the build version it's sent to the publisher for their checks, including submissions to each platform and setting the patch ready to go live for the public. This can take a couple of days to a few weeks depending on the size and content of the patch. The release is always aimed so that it wouldn’t be right before the weekend, just to make sure that if any issues occur on the public release there is a team available to check it out. In the meantime, the devs are working on the game toward the next release whether it be fixes, improvements, or new content.

Patch 1.0.19 will include a collection of fixes for issues we’ve discovered internally or have been reported to us by you. Thank you again for all the reports, it’s much appreciated! Full patch notes will be available when the patch is released, but here’s a little summary of the things we’ve been working on.

Improvements to the gameplay are mainly focusing on the land value:
- Land value will be affected by ground pollution. The ground pollution will first slowly reduce the land value increasing, and when the pollution gets worse it will start to decrease the land value
- Land value won't decrease to 0 even with heavily polluted land
- Land value will increase according to industrial company's profitability value
Land value is likely to receive more love in future updates, but more on that in the future.
On top of these, we’ve also improved the search for parking spaces. Anyone who is driving a car in a bigger city knows how tricky it can be!

Some balancing work went into the Incinerator Plant as building the Extra Incinerator Furnace upgrade would cause it to produce less electricity, the opposite of what the effect should be, and little tweaks were introduced to the resources to avoid traffic jams at the cargo stations. Then there was the appropriate care put into the youth as the teens and children required balancing for their spawn rates and now more teens are entering the High School to get educated. Think about the children, they say!

No patch without some focus on the performance. This time we’ve optimized shadow culling, pathfind scheduling (especially visible as faster and more stable simulation speed in very large cities), added cooldown to avoid too many queries on citizens seeking education when the city doesn’t have enough schools, and reordered some rendering related systems to reduce waiting in the main thread.

Last but not least, the patch fixes issues in the statistics panel, multiple cases of random crashes (crash to desktop when selecting "moving in" household, after modifying roads with citizen group at specific state, and when modifying road with pedestrian path connected in a specific way, to name a few) as well as added some missing text and translations.

The devs at Colossal Order are fully focusing on improving Cities: Skylines II further after patch 1.0.19 is out. Actions speak louder than words so we’ll pause these weekly posts and be back when we cover the content of the next patch/release for the game. Keep following our social channels for the latest updates and have a lovely week!

Sincerely,
Mariina

Last edited:
  • 100Like
  • 4Haha
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Some of the official Skylines Content creators who made official Skylines guides for CO/PDX are giving up on the game too it seems.

FewCandy made a video 'I can't do this anymore' and CitiesByDiana 'I am done' the past day.
FewCandy's video is clickbait. She doesn't give up on CS II, she's just giving up on vanilla game and will use mods in her next video.

• 2Like
Reactions:
1706863296465.png

"not clickbait" [sic!]
The new clickbait is to claim that it isn't.

• 2Like
Reactions:
View attachment 1079443

"not clickbait" [sic!]
The new clickbait is to claim that it isn't.
She and FewCandy made official PR videos for the official channel.

So I think it is quite bold that they actually voice their opinions like this while it can cost them money (views) and potentially risk not getting official features anymore (more money).

• 4Like
Reactions:
And this fact made games worse. Now too many companies consider it okay when they make some unfinished product and saying that they will be working on it. And you can't be sure at what stage they will abandon it, what they consider to be completed and what changes they will be adding along the way.
I totally understand what you mean. As I am working in a digital business aswel it's mostly getting things out quicker as a mvp and then improving it. But I also think after so many years of Cities 1 we can trust that CO won't abandon it just right away and will continue to work, as they're not a newcomer business and it's not their first game :)

That's why I think that we'll continue the hard work and it will get better and better.

She and FewCandy made official PR videos for the official channel.

So I think it is quite bold that they actually voice their opinions like this while it can cost them money (views) and potentially risk not getting official features anymore (more money).
Paradox isn't going to be spending any money on streamers until the DLC comes out, and that might be a year or more away.

Also other games have had long term creators come down even harder and get sponsors still later anyway.

Reactions:
Some of the official Skylines Content creators who made official Skylines guides for CO/PDX are giving up on the game too it seems.
Even the biggest content creators for SC2 have started to add different games to their streams on YouTube, I realized that, too.
To be honest, I would do the same if the number of viewers goes down. A minus 10% per month looks little, but if your YouTube channel is your main income.... 10% over 12 months means a huge difference in income.

If you look at Biffa's viewer numbers over the last 7 months you see a difference and it is clear why he does it.

The last patch had some performance improvements but still by far not enough to add a wider player base. We need a patch that at least doubles the CPU performance to make it ready for consoles.

I am checking the forum because I want to play CS2 with a reasonable simulation speed on my hardware. Currently, I do not even unpack my system because what is a 20% boost? Not enough.
Sadly, CO said this will be the last patch focused on existing things and now they have started adding extra stuff. I do not think it is the right thing to do, but not my problem.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
A title that makes you want to click on it (Yes, it does... "don't press the red button!" - what are you doing, you're pressing the red button of course!), hollow content, pseudo-reality-style presentation.
Even if it's not strictly speaking clickbait by definition, it's pretty close. Of course she wants clicks, that's why she did it.

You should watch it before commenting. Diana really is giving up on CS2.
Maybe you should watch it twice then? Because she clearly isn't. She's still continuing another series because "it's fun" and she will be back once mods and other content is added.

I don't know why this was posted in feedback category on reddit since it's just an update on her channel content. She makes some vague complaints aka game is unfinished, there's no content blah blah blah while complaining that water isn't working in a unsupported map editor...like WHAT?

That video was only made for views because she figured out that negativity will get her more clicks.

And back to the "hotfix" issue...While you attempted to fix land value issues, the money bug is still there. Can you please tell us WHY a game-breaking bug like this does not qualify for a hotfix and why do you think it is acceptable that we wait 1-2 months for this to MAYBE be fixed? @co_martsu

• 2Like
Reactions:
Maybe you should watch it twice then? Because she clearly isn't. She's still continuing another series because "it's fun" and she will be back once mods and other content is added.

I don't know why this was posted in feedback category on reddit since it's just an update on her channel content. She makes some vague complaints aka game is unfinished, there's no content blah blah blah while complaining that water isn't working in a unsupported map editor...like WHAT?

That video was only made for views because she figured out that negativity will get her more clicks.
The only CS2 content she will continue with is the multi-contributor 5B1C project, which is not much content. Otherwise, she's going back to CS1 and won't even look at CS2 again until mod support including asset creation becomes viable, which will take God knows how many months if at all. So no, not click-bait. There's no deception, she is dumping CS2 because it's hopelessly unready for prime time.

Reactions:
"Some balancing work went into the Incinerator Plant as building the Extra Incinerator Furnace upgrade would cause it to produce less electricity, the opposite of what the effect should be"

WoW Gr8. Finally, some meaningful Bug fixes are coming. And the "Incinerator Plant" issue is getting some fix, which is what I reported on Reddit - . Hope lot many would've reported it. It was causing my city to grow up to 80k pop, and then go all the way up to 160/170k, then come back to 80k due to the fact Incinerators aren't sending Garbage Trucks.

I stopped playing the game after 15-20 days into it due to this bug and very poor performance. Initially started with GTX 1070 then upgraded to RTX 4060 8GB, still, it's performing superbly worst on a $400/$450 range GPUs, which is ridiculous.

Hope it works well post this path. Waste of money so far.

• 1Like
Reactions:
City Planner Plays is the next one who gave up and even Biffa will reduce seriously content for CS2.
There are also some smaller channels that are dumping it. I'm thinking in particular of a channel called City Planner Mismanages, who was doing a series of city planning master classes using CS2 as a platform for demonstrating the concepts but who had to dump CS2 because it was so broken. There are undoubtedly others.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It is time that Paradox step in and tell CO there priority is to patch the game and no DLC and console until the CS2 is fixed. This is doing CO and Paradox impermeable damage and i cant see CS2 surviving unless Paradox step in. No way will anyone purchased CS2 in its current state this includes the DLC.
They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Advance sale users have already paid for a DLC. Right now they need to figure out how to make all their buyers whole.

Their best option would be all of the above: spend some of those record profits so that they can hire engineers to (1) fix the game, (2) get DLCs and modding back on track, (3) release the game for consoles.

Reactions:
Patching the game so often does take resources in itself so we opted out for a less frequent pace to focus on bigger additions and more impactful updates in the future. Therefore the upcoming patch 1.0.19 is the last “stand-alone” bug fixing patch for now.

You all have not kept your promise to deliver a sequel to CS1 that EXCEEDS that game's playability and performance. You sold over a million copies of this game. Spend revenue, expand your team, and make good on your promises. Period.

Sincerely,

A fan of this genre since the 1990s

• 1Like
Reactions:
You should add all these How-to play informations directly to the City Skyline 2 Wiki website instead of posting this in the Word Of the Week newsletter,

I will prefer have information on what's going on @Colossal and how will you plan to resolve the long list of bugs in this game ?
After each patch the bug list is going bigger.
You have introduce new bugs after each new patch.
You said XXX bugs was corrected but nothing has been really effective and today the city "simulation" economy is totally broken. Post office, Garbage, Schools, Police, Jail...
and so on...

When does this game will be finished as promised during your commercial campaign ?
in it's current state for me : City Skyline 2 is close to be what I call "a real scam" game.
I stopped to play one month ago, my city was near 97 000 citizens, and it was a nightmare to play with all these bugs, most of them are already reported bugs since weeks and nothing change weeks after weeks.

Your company is far away light years, of what was announced days before the official release day of this game. Many things are missing (Mods, Map Editor).
Personnaly i serioulsy doubt that your team is having the required knowledge to reach the state of "Final product" and to bring the game to its audience as it was promised this year.

Why does the Unity engine rendering is really bad, I doubt it's just due to the "Unity engine".
In it's current state the game render less than 35 FPS on my computer.
I have a RTX 3080 GPU with a Ryzen 5950X CPU and 128 GB DDR ram computer.
I have play tons of different games, from the last Assassins creeds Miracle, to Age Of Empire IV, or Company of Heroes III, all these games use differents engines, and all these games can reach 144 FPS on my 4K monitor, with all graphics settings sets on "ULTRA" mode
it's IMPOSSIBLE with your game even with "Low" settings mode in it's current state : why ? no one can explain why...

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: