• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CO Word of the Week #11

Last Monday I said we would be taking a break from these weekly posts due to the lack of concrete news and that we would come back when there’s something to share regarding updates to the game. On Tuesday I received a call from Sweden. It seems there was an overwhelming amount of feedback from you wanting to hear from us developers weekly. Thank you for all the lovely messages, we really appreciate it! So let’s get into it:

Patch 1.0.19 came out last Wednesday and you can find the full patch notes here. More bug fixes will be patched into the game with the first modding support features - code modding and Paradox Mods - as soon as they are ready for Public Beta. Now that’s a Word of the Week I can’t wait to write! Steadily working on the game and bringing improvements to it is now the best way to showcase our commitment to Cities: Skylines II and you the community.

We have been wondering what type of information would be relevant for you to hear about and that we can share freely while waiting for confirmation on the updates for the game. Therefore I asked @co_avanya to provide a list of questions we have received since the release that take a bit more time and effort to answer than a quick reply on social media. Together with the team, we looked at your questions about how the Industry and Goods simulation works, and here are the answers.

How do importing and exporting actually work and what are the thresholds for exporting goods?
The city can import and/or export goods when sufficient connections to the outside connections have been created. Some city service buildings also require resources to operate. These buildings can import those resources from outside connections if the companies in the city can't provide enough of that resource. The city’s companies can also import or export resources as they see fit, which depends on many different factors. The threshold for exporting goods is whether the company is able to make more money by exporting those goods or if it earns more profit by selling them to companies in the city. Additionally, when the companies’ storage capacity goes under 50% they start to import resources from outside connections.

So what is the flow of the resources in the city?
Industrial and commercial companies move into the city with starting resources, while storage companies start empty. That way the new companies don’t need to wait for the first resource transportation before they can start operating. The companies won’t get more “free” resources after that so they need resource deliveries to operate. Companies need one or more input resources to work and they can get the needed resources from the city’s industry factors or outside connections. The companies use the employees to generate production and refine the input resources into new resources (output) which can then be shipped to outside connections, other manufacturing companies, warehouses, commercial companies, offices, or directly to households. The new resources will be shipped either directly by trucks or by transporting them to cargo terminals. Cargo terminals can transport resources within the city as well as to outside connections.

Here is an example of wood’s possible production chain. There are three options where to get the wood in the first phase: forestry extractor, outside connections, or a storage that includes wood. One of these options sends the wood resource to a sawmill. The sawmill uses the wood to produce timber. Timber can then be sent to a paper mill which uses timber to produce paper, which in turn can be exported, sent to a warehouse, or sent to a bookstore. A bookstore then stores the paper until a customer comes in and shops there. The bookstore's storage on paper is reduced and the customer’s household gains resources. Households only have resources and do not count individual resource types. This means that they do not look at how much "paper" they have, just only how much resources they have.

Production chain.png

An important part of a successful production chain process is resource transportation. The physical resources (goods) are always carried by truck in the end and they’re deducted from the storage when a pickup is scheduled, so trucks don’t travel in vain. When a building spawns a delivery truck to send out its output resource, the storage should go down, but there’s currently an issue with the synchronization, so the resource is deducted before the truck spawns. We’re aware of this issue and looking into a fix, so things are synced up correctly. It’s also worth noting that if the vehicle carrying the resource is stuck then it will despawn and those resources are sent back to the owner's building where it will try to send a new vehicle to forward those resources.

The system tries to always go with the physical transportation of goods, especially when it comes to business-to-business. With citizens the requirement is less strict and they can either go to a place to buy goods or they can basically order them through the teleport (representing online shopping), so to speak. Teleporting is a secondary option but sometimes the agents just can't get to the place they would go to buy their resources and in these cases, the resources are teleported to their household.

What about if the city has a deficit or surplus of some product?
During the deficit, there should be more companies spawning that can produce the resource that is in deficit. If some product is in deficit, it means that the citizens and/or companies are consuming more of that resource than the city is producing. In that case, the city is importing that product more from outside connections which can create more traffic. During surplus, the opposite happens, where the city is producing more of the resource than the citizens or companies are using so the extra products are exported to outside connections.

That’s it for today's Word. Did you enjoy reading more about the inner workings of the game? I’ll come back next week with a new Q&A. We have a handful of other topics in mind that we can cover, and you are of course very welcome to share any game topics or questions you are wondering about. Until then, have a lovely week!

Sincerely,
Mariina

• 132Like
  • 6Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Thank you for clarifying the inner workings of the supply chain!

Could you also explain the rules for how to encourage hotels to spawn? Is there a leisure threshold and optimal lodging + food subsidization or some other mechanism going on?

Thank you!

• 27Like
Reactions:
Glad that WotW is continuing - it's really your primary portal for customer interaction and should be the centerpiece of your social media campaign.
Posting in-depth explanations and tips, updates, and future plans is much better than a void. Keeping with facts (and if not current facts, at least what your future intent is) is a good look and a good strategy to maintain engagement.

• 17Like
Reactions:
A QoL suggestion :D

It would be very cool to see a statistic representing the composition of the industires in a district.
I mean, it happened to me that I wanted to concentrate a lumber production and processing all togheter in one area of the city ( I imagine it as forestry district), so I started to demolish some buildings that are not of that production chain while demolishing lumber production located elsewhere hoping that the next companies will spawn as intended. Unfortunately it is not a easy/quick task to check whether the new composition is different, i.e. if the concentration worked.

So it would be very useful to see the composition of the industries while selecting the district, it is a cool QoL impovement and also grants more utility to the proper district creation.
Waiting for your feedback, please :D

• 18Like
Reactions:
Best word of the week by far!

Hugely appreciate the explanations of systems, really hope to see far more WoW in this tone. Especially appreciate explaining the teleport option, and the sync issue with the delivery trucks.

Means a huge amount to us as a player base to have that level of honesty, and feature explanation.

Very much looking forward to the next one!! :D

• 19Like
Reactions:
Thanks a lot for coming back to us.

I think reading more about how the simulation works will help to put things into perspective and lets us better realize what is a bug and what might be working as intended.

I am really happy to see you continue with the WotW. Already curious about the coming edition.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Well, these Q&As about game mechanics are definitely nice...

But - as a customer who paid for product which definitely wasn't ready to be released - I would like to also get more detailed and regular info about progress of fixing existing issues, missing features etc.
Also some display of accountability from CO/Paradox side would be nice - we still haven't seen any of that after botched release of the game. Instead of hiding behind statements about "toxic tendency" in the community - just because some people decided to express their dissatisfaction with bad state of the game. For example, there is a thing called "apology" which is used when one does some mistake or something wrong.

Last edited:
  • 21Like
Reactions:
Nice explanation, appreciated.

I also think you folks at CO can look at some of the UI mods that add more informations about the systems and economy, and maybe you could integrate something similar to the game officially.

It would help the player a lot

• 7Like
Reactions:
glad you keep on going with the wotw.

I enjoyed some of the short videos by content creators on your yt channel but most of them have been focusing on designing specific districts or areas until now. maybe its a good idea to focus some future videos on specific game systems, like cargo flow for example. Or garbage. Some players seem to have trouble knowing the difference between regular garbage and hazardous waste. maybe a video about how seasons affect heating, road maintenance or day/night cycle has consequences on city services during evening and night shifts.

• 10Like
Reactions:
So we really need better zoning control over industry
so you can have warehouse zones / light industry zones
big mill zones

Also mills and extractors need direct rail access / small cargo stations.

The default ones are the big cargo stations and not the smaller direct / mini cargo stations that are used.

• 13Like
Reactions:
A QoL suggestion :D

It would be very cool to see a statistic representing the composition of the industires in a district.
I mean, it happened to me that I wanted to concentrate a lumber production and processing all togheter in one area of the city ( I imagine it as forestry district), so I started to demolish some buildings that are not of that production chain while demolishing lumber production located elsewhere hoping that the next companies will spawn as intended. Unfortunately it is not a easy/quick task to check whether the new composition is different, i.e. if the concentration worked.

So it would be very useful to see the composition of the industries while selecting the district, it is a cool QoL impovement and also grants more utility to the proper district creation.
Waiting for your feedback, please :D
This is a very nice suggestion. I agree with everything!
When I started reading it I thought you were heading in another direction which would also be nice to have:
tool tip and/or in-game wiki that explains these resource/industry chains.
In time combine that with @AAAnubisss 's most excellent idea into flowcharts with the current stats in them!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Thanks for this! As a suggestion for a future topic: I'd like to know more about how the land value system works. In my city of 210k I can't build any low density residential anywhere. If I reset the land value in devmode then there are areas where the roads show up green for low density but soon enough they all go red again. So now I can only build a city of nothing but skyscrapers which isn't what I want when I'm making an outlying suburb. If there's some mechanic to why this is happening then some insight into how it works would be great. Thanks!

• 8Like
Reactions:
I would like to take a moment to thank you for the engagement of this community when it seems to be so very difficult. I am not sure why many just will not move on from the release of the game in a state that was not expected but expected. I do not believe anything you do at this time will satisfy many of the people here. I just want to say I appreciate all your time and effort and continuing to come back even with all the negativity. I keep reading that people want detailed information about this and that and I feel this is not their job or career. I am unsure what the apology would solve either. The game is what it is at this moment. Either you play it or you don't. Again, I would like to say I am thoroughly enjoying CS2 and look forward to all the additions that will eventually be added. When you are a fan you find a way to enjoy what is. Again, thank you for continuing to engage with us. I know it is hard but it does take a bit of courage and strength. Others will say this is what you are supposed to do when a game is released and many are not satisfied. No, you do not have to do this but you are. Thank you :)

• 12Like
Reactions:
Really nice to have this weekly update. We would quite like it to include upcoming events, for example console release, upcoming DLCs exc, stuff we know is coming. Talk about set backs, advancements and why you done this, why you’ve done that. A very transparent communication between developers and player base is much appreciated.

Thanks for this update.
Looking forward to Console release.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Thank you for keeping us informed with wotw and rethinking about publishing stops, I don't see the need for all wotw whether it's about patches, bugs or what's coming, the game already has a lot of stuff, which is worth taking a deep dive into functionalities like this wotw, would also bring the functioning of service areas and citizens' preferences in residential areas, on how a citizen chooses the means of transport to the destination. The need for more adjustments and bug fixes is still visible, but everyone's commitment is clear. please keep us informed.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Please keep it up with these WotW’s. Despite having no more patches coming out for a while, it’s great to hear about the inner workings of the game that doesn’t have detailed explanation in the game

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: