• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can't believe there's an actual dev in here chatting with folks. It's like choclate chip and srawberry cheesecake: we all want ti, but we never see it. And yet here he is; chatting along like it's nothing. I think I'm in love.

What camera variable setting can I toggle to lessen the time the camera sits over top of Mech Knockdowns? The camera waits for a second and a half after the knockdown happens. Let's have the camera begin moving as soon as the mech begins to fall backwards. I can catch the fall impact and hear the crashing sound as the mech hits the dirt and the camera would move off toward something else. That'd be nice. As it is, the camera just sits there after the mech hits the dirt and you wait for no reason. Its an unreasonable camera trap! Can we speed this up please!?

What camera variable setting can I toggle to lessen the time the camera sits over top of Mech Knockdowns? The camera waits for a second and a half after the knockdown happens. Let's have the camera begin moving as soon as the mech begins to fall backwards. I can catch the fall impact and hear the crashing sound as the mech hits the dirt and the camera would move off toward something else. That'd be nice. As it is, the camera just sits there after the mech hits the dirt and you wait for no reason. Its an unreasonable camera trap! Can we speed this up please!?

To me, this is an issue not just with knockdowns but in general, when firing at two targets with the Gunnery skill, if the first one is knocked down or severely damaged or destroyed, sometimes the attacks on the second mech will start and maybe even finish before the camera leaves the first mech.

Sneak peek time!

Here is an early look at the new section being put into CombatGameConstants.json.

Please note: I've moved pretty much every camera variable into this file. I figure people will appreciate being able to edit a lot of this stuff, but some edits could possibly break the game, so as usual... use at your own risk :) Also, this is still very early in testing, so final format may be slightly different if bugs need to be fixed. Also I've already removed about 6 variables that weren't being used any more, and I might have missed more... o_O

"CameraConstants":
{
"MoveSpeed" : 90.0, /* acceleration of the camera */
"MaxSpeed" : 30.0, /* max top speed of the camera */
"MoveFalloff" : 0.7, /* this controls "friction" which slows the camera's momentum */
"ZoomSpeed" : 1500.0, /* how fast the camera zooms in and out, under player control */
"RotationSpeed" : 16.0, /* how fast the camera rotates via right mouse hold */
"RotationSpeedKeyboard" : 16.0, /* how fast the camera rotates via Q and E */
"TargetRotLerpFactor" : 0.05, /* how fast the camera will try to rotate to face its target during a camera sequence */
"EdgePushSize" : 0.025, /* the size of the "screen edge", where it will start pushing the camera */
"EdgeAutoZoomSize" : 0.05, /* the size of the "screen edge" when determining if the camera needs to refocus on an object */
"MinDistToFocalPoint" : 50.0, /* how close you can move the camera to its focal point */
"MinHeightAboveTerrain" : 20.0, /* minimum height the camera must be above terrain */
"MaxHeightAboveTerrain" : 520.0, /* maximum height the camera can reach above terrain, or to its focal point */
"MinAngle" : 10.0, /* how close you can get to looking flat toward the horizon - degrees */
"MaxAngle" : 75.0, /* how close you can get to looking vertically straight down - degrees */
"DefaultAngle" : 40.0, /* the starting vertical angle */
"DefaultFOV" : 35.0, /* default Field Of View that the camera will always return to from zoom-in cams */
"TutorialMoveTime" : 3.0, /* in first tutorial level... how long to pause after first successful "move" of camera before proceeding */
"TimeBetweenTutorials" : 1.0, /* ... time to pause before second tutorial */
"TutorialRotateTime" : 3.0, /* ... how long to pause after first successful "rotate" of camera before proceeding */
"TargetCamPosMultiplierSide" : 1.8, /* over-the-shoulder targeting cam - adjusts distance to the side of the firing mech */
"TargetCamPosMultiplierBack" : 4.5, /* over-the-shoulder targeting cam - adjusts distance back from the firing mech */
"TargetCamPosMultiplierHeight" : 1.2, /* over-the-shoulder targeting cam - adjusts distance up from the firing mech */
"TargetCamTime" : 0.4, /* time to move into over-the-shoulder cam */
"RestorePlayerCamTime" : 0.7, /* time for camera to move back to player controlled cam */
"MovementCamTime" : 1.25, /* time to move into position to show enemy moves (high angle) */
"ShowAttackCamTime" : 3.0, /* for non-cinematic zoom, time to move camera into final position */
"ShakyCamTime" : 4.0, /* for cinematic zoom on enemy movements, minimum time for the whole sequence (note, sequence can still be shorter than this) */
"ShakyCamOffset" : 0.5, /* max position change when showing "shaky" zoom-in cam */
"ShakyMoveCamHeightMultiplier" : 2.6, /* controls height when showing follow cam, and "fancy" melee cam */
"FollowCamGroundMin" : 1.5, /* settings for the follow cam... min height from ground */
"FollowCamIdealHeight" : 1.5, /* ... ideal height from ground */
"FollowCamMinDistMult" : 2.0, /* ... min and max follow dists (multiplied by height of unit) */
"FollowCamMaxDistMult" : 5.0,
"FollowCamTime" : 1.0, /* ... controls how "lazy" the camera is in follow mode. Max value of laziness is, of course, infinite */
"FollowCamDelayTime" : 1.0, /* ... at end of move, how long to pause before returning to player control */
"CutAngleTolerance" : 45.0, /* when you've zoomed in, and the angle is now greater than this amount, just cut back to player cam position instead of smoothing */
"FramingSafeMultiplier" : 1.5, /* used in low-level camera framing code, to figure out when to zoom to keep a point in frame */
"FramingZoomMultiplier" : 0.015, /* when auto-framing, this controls how far back to zoom */
"FrameRightMultiplier" : 2.0, /* framing constants, since the screen is not a square */
"FrameUpMultiplier" : 4.0,
"TimeToShowNewBlips" : 2.5, /* when zooming to newly revealed contacts, how long to show them */
"MeleeAttackCamMinHeight" : 85.0, /* used for non-cinematic purposes when showing units - for melee cam, as well as death cam */
"CamDelayDeath" : 4.0, /* this section controls delays for different events */
"CamDelayBuildingDeath" : 4.5,
"CamDelayFall" : 4.0,
"CamDelayLocationDestroyed" : 3.0,
"CamDelayCriticalHit" : 2.0,
"CamDelayComponentDestroyed" : 2.0,
"CamDelayPilotInjured" : 3.0,
"CamDelayPilotInspired" : 3.0,
"CamDelayMiscInfo" : 1.5,
"CamMultiplierSlowMove" : 10.0 /* this multiplier controls "slow start" camera zooms: mission begin, mission end, and non-cinematic player attack zooms */
},

Not sure if it was recent, or I missed when it happened, but this section is in the constants file now.

If I could +1 again, I would.