• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

spl

Field Marshal
49 Badges
Mar 28, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
I want to see how some of your wars have been since i just fought a massive war. Here is my bloodiest war-
Nation:Italy
Years-1561-1565
Enemies:Ottoman Empire,Karaman,Wallachia
Allies:Corfu,Tunis,Ragsau,Hungary
Aproxamite death toll: 120,000
Description:
As the Ottomans progressed they were starting to take control of my vassals and Christian states. Since i Had guaranteed the independence of Hungary (Ottomans were attacking hungary and gaining ground quickly) I joined with my allied vassals and we began to fight in southern Hungary. After 3 months i had 10,000 men and the ottomans had about 15,000 men. The ottomans were quickly decimating my troops and gaining more ground so I went to the defense of the Hungarian capital and the places that bordered me.Within the next year the Ottomans and Hungarians signed a ceasefire which gave the Ottomans several of the Hungarian Southwestern territories.
Now with the death toll around 35,000 More troops on both sides were constantly being sent in. Every year about 30,000 from both sides joined the fighting. A stalemate had broken out and the Ottomans had annexed Ragsau. I decided to liberate Christian states in the area, so Freeing The Knights was next. I sent 5,000 men to take Rhodes and 6,000 to liberate Corfu which was recently occupied by the Ottomans. In 1564 The death toll had reached 100,000 and I decided to end the war without any more of a loss of life. But it took 1 more year to get the Ottomans to agree to ceding control of Rhodes. Once Rhodes was ours I created the Knights as a vassal and I was forced to completely rebuild my Italian defensive armies and offensive armies which were completely destroyed.

Last edited:
Bah! 120000! Gimme a break.

Russia-Ming wars FTW!!! :D

spl said:
I want to see how some of your wars have been since i just fought a massive war. Here is my bloodiest war-
Nation:Italy
Years-1561-1565
Enemies:Ottoman Empire,Karaman,Wallachia
Allies:Corfu,Tunis,Ragsau,Hungary
Aproxamite death toll: 120,000
Description:
As the Ottomans progressed they were starting to take control of my vassals and Christian states. Since i Had guaranteed the independence of Hungary (Ottomans were attacking hungary and gaining ground quickly) I joined with my allied vassals and we began to fight in southern Hungary. After 3 months i had 10,000 men and the ottomans had about 15,000 men. The ottomans were quickly decimating my troops and gaining more ground so I went to the defense of the Hungarian capital and the places that bordered me.Within the next year the Ottomans and Hungarians signed a ceasefire which gave the Ottomans several of the Hungarian Southwestern territories.
Now with the death toll around 35,000 More troops on both sides were constantly being sent in. Every year about 30,000 from both sides joined the fighting. A stalemate had broken out and the Ottomans had annexed Ragsau. I decided to liberate Christian states in the area, so Freeing The Knights was next. I sent 5,000 men to take Rhodes and 6,000 to liberate Corfu which was recently occupied by the Ottomans. In 1564 The death toll had reached 100,000 and I decided to end the war without any more of a loss of life. But it took 1 more year to get the Ottomans to agree to ceding control of Rhodes. Once Rhodes was ours I created the Knights as a vassal and I was forced to completely rebuild my Italian defensive armies and offensive armies which were completely destroyed.

Is that just for your side? Cause I usually easily loose a few hundred thousand per war though to be fair they are mostly only mercs.

Looking at it from the other side, I had a twenty year long war starting in the 1720s against Spain as the Ottoman Empire - trying to liberate my fellow Muslims from Spanish rule in North Africa. Both sides kept recruiting and throwing in tens of thousands of men. It lasted through the entire reign of one Sultan. Spain didn't give up until they got invaded by France as well and Turkish troops fought their way up through Gibraltar, destroying the last big Spanish army. It was a relief when it finally ended.

Me as the European Union (i made an event for it to be able to form) against a huge Ming. The war lasted for more than 60 years. 500 ships where lost and I stopped counting around a million of losses.

the war started off great, gaining momentum quickly on all sides. though the advance on there east coast quickly ended in a stale mate. while in the west i was still advancing. untill they got close to home. the 8000 stacks turned into 12000 stacks :eek: wich resulted into me being pushed back again. this kept happening like this, until somehow after 60 years of fighting my new troops on the east coast where able to take Beijing.

Me as ethiophia aliies kazan,algiers,nejd,yemen,oman vs hungary otoomans wallachia serbia,karman,bohemia
losses estimate after 25 years (not over yet :D ) 4-5 million and 4-500 ships
Bohemia is virtually all of europe they are a super empire.the rest are pretty much standar size except for me i own most of africa and the middle east.

Hessen against France, somehwere in 1670...

They DOW me and i call the cavalery.
My vassals (Saxony, Austria, Venezia, Brugundy) join the war and all hell breaks loose...

In the battle of Nassau, 35000 french troops fight against 12000 Hessian ones. Over 40000 dead - but hey, i stopped his advance - for now.
I recruit merchs to hold my lines, the second french waveassault austria, takes 3 procvinces, the deceisive battle starts in the Steiermark. 30000 french troops against 25000 austrians, again about 40000 dead, but france wins.
Saxony and Venize try to counterattack the reinforced french forces, about 10000 Saxons and 8000 Venezians against 13000 french, they suffer a total defeat, over 8000 dead Saxons, 6000 Venezians and only 3000 french get killed in the battle.

Death toll till now: Approx. 97000 soldiers

3 years later, a second wave charges Nassau. my army is back at about ~10000 men, fighting with a 3/5/3/1 GEN against the french with 17000 troops. I win a total victory, 14000 french and only 2000 hessians dead.

I push into france, just to meet the troops in the second line. My multiple siege troops get slain, about 6000 of 9000 dead. Nassau is being besieged, i call for another merch stack, 12000 men, my last hope.
A counter attack at Nassau fails. 23000 french against 14000 Hessians, about 20000 dead, but Nassau still under siege.

Death toll till now: Approx. 150000

Finally, the Austrian army manages to achieve a tactical victory in Wien:
17000 Austrians against 12000 french, 22000 dead.
At last, i can sign a white peace, so the body count of this 6 year war is:
~175000 soldiers on the battlefield, NOT counting the guys that died by attrition!

1520s ( I have never really played past 1550)
My Ottoman Empire (stretching from present day Turkey, covering Hungary, Austria, Poland and eastern Germany up through Danzig)
vs
Persia (Stretching through the Caucuses and Crimea and having annexed the Mamaluks)
and Lithuania (Having annexed Muscovy, Riga, Teutonic Order, Most of Novogorod and parts of Crimea, and Kazan)

The Lithuanians had a more reasonable sized army but the Persians......Stack after 12000 man stack. And their blood soaked my lands. I had the excellent fortune to start with two excellent land advisors and had a significant land tech advantage. My cavalry armies were constantly inflicting 9:1 losses and still being beaten. In the end, I lost about 15,000 men but they ended up losing close to 130,000 to combat alone. Probably another 35,000 or so to attrition.

Needless to say or next wars were a bit easier for my armies

Good one! :D

Maybe ya could also say "...and all i got was this lousy signature"

Nation: Russia
Enemies: Ottomans, Dehli, Ming, Kazakh
Allies: Timurids, Netherlands, Lithuania
Allied losses: 498k troops and 61 ships
Enemy losses: 1141k troops and 62 ships
I won this war and conquered the entirety of the Crimean peninsula stackwiping everything in iron man mode.

Probably well exceeded the OP with a slightly larger but vaguely similar match:
Hungary and Austria versus Ottomans and several vassals plus Mamluks.

Playing Hungary, I had allied and assisted both Bohemia and Austria in turn in taking a few illegal HRE provinces, while sending a few gifts to Burgundy. I remained mostly infamy free, and at 12 owned provinces. Meanwhile, Burgundy expanded legally through mission-granted CBs, also remaining infamy-free, and soon became Emperor, as the Bohemians and Austrians had alienated themselves from just about everyone (claiming 3 different thrones within a year also tends to do that). With more than 12 provinces to their credit, the king of Burgundy (and Emperor) was quite happy to grant HRE entry to their good buddies in distant Hungary. Then Burgundy got greedy and took a few provinces it shouldn't have. A few years later, the king of Hungary was Emperor, while annexing several smaller non-HRE entities in the Balkans (Transylvania, Wallachia, Ragusa). I was soon up to around 85,000 reinforcement troops in the manpower pool, thanks to the significant HRE modifiers, in addition to the 30,000 or so troops in my standing armies (I couldn't afford to support much more, despite a 100+ land unit limit). Austria had upwards of 45,000 men visible. I declared a Holy War on the Ottomans (and vassals) with Austria's assistance, and the Mamluks joined the Ottomans as defenders of the faith.

By the end of roughly 2-3 years of hostilities between the HRE and Ottomans/allies, I had depleted my reserves down to under 2000 men, despite nearly 1500 fresh troops being added each month. My field armies were down to less than 5000 men total, scattered thinly across modern day Turkey and Egypt. Austria was in open revolt in almost every province, and struggling futilely to gather a few 100-200 man remains of units to stop the rebellions. On the other hand, the Ottomans were totally occupied and the Mamluks were in worse shape than Austria (almost totally covered in diagonal black lines). I finally ended the bloodbath with Ottomans releasing over 90 influence points worth of vassals (most significantly, Bosnia and Serbia) and liberated states (Bulgaria), and forced the Mamluks to surrender both Alexandria and Delta. Syria successfully broke away from the Mamluks immediately after.

That adds up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000 men from the standing army, 83,000 replacements, and in the neighborhood of 20-30K fresh monthly recruits lost (probably over 220,000 men in total) by Hungary alone. Austria must have lost close to another 100-150K, if not more. The Ottomans and Mamluks, I can hardly even begin to guess how many 12-15K stacks were broken and stack-wiped. We suffered almost double the casualties in nearly every combat, but they ran out of morale first, were beaten to the next province, and got stack-wiped, time after time. I'd put 300K as a bare minimum for casualties between them, and 500K isn't out of the question.

It was well over a decade before the revolts died down in all of our countries, with the constant revolts refueling the crippling war exhaustion. The Ottomans were never a real threat after that, losing virtually all of their European holdings in the next 2 one-sided conflicts, and the Mamluks were constantly unstable for the next 50 years until they were gobbled up between Hungary and the surrounding Muslim states.

I've also seen one absolutely brutal war between Golden Horde and Poland/Lithuania drag on for over a decade, and the casualties had to be astronomical. Afterwards, Lithuania collapsed and shattered into several states, while the Golden Horde spun off a series of smaller hordes and independent states and suffered repeated succession crises and revolts for the next couple of decades. The bloody aftermath of such brutal wars always amazes and horrifies me.

I was playing as the Russian Empire and was attempting to take land from the hordes, particularly Kazan. By the end, I'd depleted nearly my entire manpower, had only managed to take half of Kazan, and was being flooded with revolts. There was little to no recruitable population and no mercenaries left to hire. My army was scattered extremely thin, losing ground to the Kazan warriors in an attempt to cut down the revolutions. In the end, I was destroyed by revolution and the armies of Kazan.

This was played with the MEIOU mod but I assume this is still applicable here.

I remember playing as Russia, and I was attempting to push westwards to claim cores and maintain a buffer zone of vassals to shield against the MegAustria that was blobbing through central Europe and the Balkans. This was accomplished through (mostly) peaceful means, marriages and some espionage but I was pushed to war during the mid-1600s when said Blobstria took a province north of the Black Sea, adjacent to some newly acquired Crimean lands.

The exact details are sketchy but I was allied with Lithuania (vassal), Kiev (vassal) and Estland (PU) versus Austria, Hungary (PU under Austria) and Milan (allied with Austria). The war dragged on for 10 years, and was fought mostly on my home turf. I lost several of what I believed to be doom stack scale armies as they invaded the Austrian lands in the Balkans, my vassals were swiftly occupied and effectively neutralised and I eventually had to resort to recruiting from further east as my main recruiting grounds around Moscow were attacked. Fortunately I had colonised quite quickly across north asia as far as the pacific and across to Alaska so had plenty of provinces to recruit from but assembling the newly recruited armies took ages. I had to resort to scorched-earth tactics in the west to slow Blobstria down as well as sending spies to incite revolts wherever possible. Eventually I managed to force a white peace, and had incurred huge loss of manpower and money. Losses for Russia alone were probably above 250,000.

Last edited: