• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gwalcmai

©
25 Badges
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
I originally modelled this for HOI, (I then found out that HOI only uses one battleship sprite, and pre-dreadnoughts would look out of place in most navies. Maybe it'll still be included as a MIN sprite in The Great War mod) which explains the ship's modern look. What kind of changes do you feel it would require to look like a Victorian ship?

pre-dred.jpg

Thinner masts (mast, maybe), less superstructure, smaller guns or gun turrets?

Its pretty good looking to me. Its definetley superior to the BB already in the game.

Are you planning to make sprites for it and make it usable in game?

As soon as I check to see just how similar the Victoria sprite system is to HOI's. And I was considering adding some detail to the model, as well as removing some of the more modern-looking stuff. As I said, the model was initially intended for the Sverige class battleships of Sweden and the german Deutschland class of modernized pre-dreadnoughts.

Predread look

If you're going for the traditional predreadnought look I would suggest two funnels as most nation's PDNs had only two. Perhaps a few more distinct heavy secondaries (9.2/8.2/7.5's) and a distinct ramming bow but otherwise it looks good... no... GREAT!

Best regards,
Richmond

Richmond, in search of that traditional look, I followed your advice on the ramming bow and stacks. I also removed some superstructure (line drawings seem to indicate an attempt at keeping low on the water). As for aditional secondaries, (I don't think I'm making a tertiary battery as it won't be visible anyway) where do you suggest placing them? I can't see a place for them without cutting into the hull somewhere.

Great!

I'm sure this will be great when it comes out!! There's nothing like getting the look right...

The whole point of the dreadnought, aside from speed or armouring, was the main battery was of a single caliber. Pre-dreadnoughts tended to have slighly smaller guns either as wing turrets or along the sides in turrets or fixed to the superstructure sometimes. A throwback perhaps to the days of sail where mixed armament was the norm. The Deutchland and Lord Nelson and Ikoma I would think would more accurately be termed 'post-dreadnoughts' in that they were the last pre-dreadnought evolution and were approaching the dreadnought standard somewhat in speed and gunnery. The Deutschland class was a very good design for a pre-dreadnought actually and the only loss, Pommern at Jutland, was due to that nemesis of big ships, the torpedo in the guts.

Best regards,
Richmond

WW1 vintage look and earlier

The funny thing about ships of this vintage, indeed the interesting thing, is how much they changed over perhaps a score of years, little more than two decades. Looking at the cruiser design for example, the older cruisers, the old Counties like Monmouth look almost like sailing ships without sails and three odd funnels sticking out. That's the general look, funnels and masts, very very low squat superstructures. The only superstructure heavy ships would be the capitals and compared to the future designs they were still not very superstructure heavy. I would suggest you emphasize the masts and funnels in getting the 'right look'.

Best regards,
Richmond