• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(117319)

Private
6 Badges
Oct 4, 2008
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
[video=youtube;8325iRVoVHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8325iRVoVHI[/video]

So TotalBiscuit has done a very favourable first look at NW:AC, anyone's thoughts on the video?

The guy has like 700,000 subscribers and his videos get many hundreds of thousands of views per, so this could be a really nice showcase to a lot of gamers that maybe weren't aware of NW:AC and how it plays!

He sounds like an utter pratt.

But I do like the review :p

I do agree with the textures=poor/models=good point... glad he's taken to it with some pre-review tutorial/other knowledge actually, instead of some reviews which don't really know how to classify the game or it's features properly.

(That said, cringe-worthy first attempt at the mission, hehe)

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who initially didn't get the bingo fuel indicator was actually counting up and not down.

The ammo amount button also wasn't super intuitive in the fact that you tell how much you want to manually shoot instead of how much ammo you want the aircraft to use.

BTW, first time I've heard of NWAC was in and early video Totalbiscuit did a few months ago. So yeah, he liked it but like in my case, he hit into a few things in the UI that are not obvious (ordnance amount to use) and counter-intuitive (bingo fuel indicator).

At 06:22, is it a frigate or destroyer? The tooltip is showing that the selected ship is a FFG Class. The navy abbreviation FFG means a guided-missile frigate.

At 13:33 he has no idea why he can't launch the planes. Well, look at the tooltip that clearly give the info, Not Ready to Launch. The ground crew is busy with the planes he is trying to launch. Mention that aircrafts that are not launch ready have a darker icon then ready planes. It takes time for the ground crew to make a plane ready for its next mission or to change its weapon load. After left clicking on an icon of a not launch ready aircraft, you see information when the plane is ready again.

Last edited:
At 06:22, is it a frigate or destroyer? The tooltip is showing that the selected ship is a FFG Class. The navy abbreviation FFG means a guided-missile frigate.

At 13:33 he has no idea why he can't launch the planes. Well, look at the tooltip that clearly give the info, Not Ready to Launch. The ground crew is busy with the planes he is trying to launch. Mention that aircrafts that are not launch ready have a darker icon then ready planes. It takes time for the ground crew to make a plane ready for its next mission or to change its weapon load. After left clicking on an icon of a not launch ready aircraft, you see information when the plane is ready again.
You know, I was thinking of posting the exact same thing in the youtube comments :p

We met John "TotalBiscuit" Bain in Cologne at Gamescom this spring, and he interviewed us and posted a "hyper wtf" preview of the game. He was very nice, and he is one of the few guys around with a big (relatively) audience that really supports PC and indie games. He is quite respected, because he doesn't hold back any criticism if he thinks game devs messed up (yes, I knew he was doing our game, and admit I was nervous!).

While I could wish he had made himself more familiar with the game and its subject matter, remember he is making a living creating these videos. He only promises to give a "first impressions" look which essentially answers whether he would recommend buying a game or not. He probably dedicated a few hours of his professional life to our game, and I am glad he did. Fully 84,000 people have seen through the whole video on YT, and that is undoubtedly a lot of pretty dedicated PC gamers, many of whom had never heard of NWAC before.

You know, I was thinking of posting the exact same thing in the youtube comments :p

Yes, there are i.m.o. some more issues in the You tube review.

About the slow pace of the game, this game is developed to be a simulation game where a relative degree of realism is a welcome feature. If (pure) arcade loving players don't like this... so what? I don't like fast paced arcade games. NW:AC is more like a liveliness chess game, if you see an attack already coming and you are not prepared then you are mostly to late to react properly, as in real. As in real military you have to predict on what the enemy can do, discover where the threat axis are and how to respond against these before an attack is launced. As in a chess game, good playing means looking a couple of moves ahead and beat the enemy be planning your defence measures and offensive actions ahead.

Further on, from 14:25: why is it rediculous to fire anti missile missiles from aircrafts, especially in 2030? Anti missile warfare is in real heavily under developement. I guess the You Tube reviewer has probably never heard of the Rafael Trophy APS (Active Protection System) or Quick Kill APS. These systems are, as we can known at the moment, the most modern active anti missile weapons already in use or almost available. Rafael Trophy consists of a very small shaped radar device, placed on small platforms as tanks, to detect incoming missiles and fire small metal pellets like buckshots against the incoming missile just before it hits its target. See the: Rafeal Trophy APS Wikipedia article

The American competitor Raytheon developed the Quick Kill APS system, launching a small countermeasure missile against incoming missiles. As far I know this is the first in real existing anti missile missile, developed for tactical use. See the: Raytheon Quick Kill APS Wikipedia article This article mention that Quick Kill could be used stationary or on the move with a wide range of vehicles from armored personnel carriers to airborne helicopters. Anti missile missiles, launced from small platforms against a fast incoming missiles at very close range are in real already (or soon) operational. It looks realistic to me that these kind of defensive anti missile missiles will be evolve into offensive anti missile missiles, being fully operational in 2030.

The problem with reviewers, having not sufficient knowledge of what is today already possible but publising critical reviews, that they can harm inequitable a nice relative realistic niche game that is playing in the future, 18 years ahead of our time.