• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Timeline extended. By late game I feel it’s kind of devout of content and historical events, that needs to be beefed up abit. Either through rise of Christianity or have a “crisis” similar to that of the Mongols in CKII.
Definitely this. Some sort of mechanic that could model the Germanic migrations would be great for example. You could have it randomly generate from any part of the map with low civilization level, and then let several massive barbarian hordes spread out from there. It could work like Diadochi wars, so anything they siege down would automatically get transferred to them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If bound to theses choices I would choose extended, but I honestly would prefer for the devs to not spend time on this. TBH the paradox community has the amazing opportunity of having one of the best modding community, I would rather the devs focus on major mechanics and while we form modding teams to expand the game from the early bronze age to the fall of rome.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Definitely this. Some sort of mechanic that could model the Germanic migrations would be great for example. You could have it randomly generate from any part of the map with low civilization level, and then let several massive barbarian hordes spread out from there. It could work like Diadochi wars, so anything they siege down would automatically get transferred to them.
Expanding all the way to 4th century in one go is a no go, there'd be so much intermediary content missing
If bound to theses choices I would choose extended, but I honestly would prefer for the devs to not spend time on this. TBH the paradox community has the amazing opportunity of having one of the best modding community, I would rather the devs focus on major mechanics and while we form modding teams to expand the game from the early bronze age to the fall of rome.
Having achievements removed from ironman mode would be the easiest dev choice as then we can do whatever mods we want. But paradox refuses to do that so a simple timeline extension to the fall of the Julio Claudian dynasty would be best imo, so we get some more time but not too many complex mechanics needed

Reactions:
Expanding all the way to 4th century in one go is a no go, there'd be so much intermediary content missing

Having achievements removed from ironman mode would be the easiest dev choice as then we can do whatever mods we want. But paradox refuses to do that so a simple timeline extension to the fall of the Julio Claudian dynasty would be best imo, so we get some more time but not too many complex mechanics needed
I'm confused, would you want dev time on expanded dates for (partially that is) achievement ? (not trying to be smart of witty here but genuinly curious, especially since beeing able to flex with my achievements is one of the big reasons why I still play a lot of vanilla despite all the awsome mods available)

edit :

As regarding that 4th century migration I personnaly dislike the concept of having date triggers event in a simulation type game but would rather have the situation described (quite a classical one actually beeing a established sedentary empire beeing either partitionned or fully invaded/annexed by a less sedentary/less established empire) come from a succession of events and ultimatly happening dynamically.

As an exemple picture how awsome the following situation would be in a player stand point :

There is a big medditeranean empire forming while you play as a steppe, the more momentum you build the more you force "sedentarised" tribes to return to pastoral nomadism and push further west/anywhere where you are not, these would conglomarate and push further on big tribes to migrate and so on and so forth utltimately becoming something that said medditeranean powers have to deal with one way or another.

Maybe it's just me but I just love when pseudo historical events happens dynamicaly for the simple reason that either player intervention or ai create outcomes for such a situation to happen regardless of time triggered events.

Sorry for the bad phrasing I'm finding it hard to translate my chain of thoughts into english

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I would definitely like to see the timeline extended at some point.
But at present, it feels like the game runs out of historical events about 50 years in. Gameplay is just dry after that.
Extending the timeline before filling in the current timeline is essentially meaningless. It's just more empty years to stack onto what we already have.
Paradox needs to fill in the current timeline with a LOT more events. Whether historical, random or flavor events, this game needs them badly.
And more decisions unique to territories or countries.
Gameplay systems are very good and still improving, but we need some color here at this point.

Reactions:
I'm confused, would you want dev time on expanded dates for (partially that is) achievement ? (not trying to be smart of witty here but genuinly curious, especially since beeing able to flex with my achievements is one of the big reasons why I still play a lot of vanilla despite all the awsome mods available)
If devs let you get achievements outside of ironman provided you hit the triggers, then players could use whatever half baked timeline extender or reverter they wanted to. But atm, you have to use ironman and official checksum for each patch to get achievements, unlike Civ and Total War which let you mod to hearts content and theyll still fire

If devs let you get achievements outside of ironman provided you hit the triggers, then players could use whatever half baked timeline extender or reverter they wanted to. But atm, you have to use ironman and official checksum for each patch to get achievements, unlike Civ and Total War which let you mod to hearts content and theyll still fire
Fair enought indeed I see now, yet this is applicable to pretty much all paradox titles so not sure it'll change anytime soon. one cna always hope tho :)

I had played before 2.0 but i did not end the play, maybe it was too cracked still or i did not have the patience and time for properly playing. Now with 2.0 i've finally made my first completely play in just a week and i am a bit disapointed that the game ends when, historically, Augustus is crowned Emperor at the end of the I century B.C.

I mean, it's "Imperator: Rome" (The Empire goes from the I B.C to the XV A.D!) not "Republican Rome", and i was expecting a timelime more wider. So i am completely agree with the comments about expanding the time frame. I can handle that the game could end by the V century A.D, with the fall of Western Rome, but not when things get quite interesting (i was preparing to face some really big succesors realms in the Greek lands lol) .

I would love to see events about the High and Low Imperial period (from the I-V A.D), like the reforms of Caracalla (even there are some events within the optimates, boni and popularii that goes that way, The Dioclecian Reform (when you have an Empire of ... 1000/1500 territories/cities/villages?) i just put some ideas here... for the vanilla future game or even mods, and adding those 500 years to the game would be just glorious. I really think that the game with this add, an also the good job the developers are doing with the game (as this 2.0 Marius Update shows) marks the correct path for making one of the greastest Late Classic Age game ever.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think an Alexander DLC would be too fun and cool to pass up. But it would need a lot more fundamental mechanics.

I already think the game should extend into the 1st century at least but personally I've never seen a reason the game should end before the 4th century. Sure the game should have some late game anti blob mechanics but even without it I don't see a reason to take the gameplay from the player away over such an arbitrary date.

Plus christians showing up as a late game 'disaster' would be super fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: