• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As of now I didn’t implemented Melkor89’s database and won’t be able to do so immediately, so I think you can go on with joining forces with him if he’s OK, that would be so great.
For the leaders, I used wikipedia as a surce for names and dates and added every leader that I could find a picture for. It might be possible that over the last year some new pictures of generals or admirals have been uploaded on the web. If that's the case, it might be worth to check again the list and add who's missing. Anyway, the leaders in my file are just enough for a smooth gameplay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hellenic_Army_generals
I remember having great trouble with Greek ministers (for example I couldn’t find a list of Ministers of Interior).
The Greek wikipedia has a page for every cabinet, complete with all the ministers. Google Translator is all you need...!
example: https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/Κυβέρνηση_Ελευθερίου_Βενιζέλου_1910

Reactions:
I played through as A-H, concentrated on keeping descent down and building IC, stayed out of the Balkan Wars, and then choose to delay response in the Serbian assassination of Franz Josef, thought I would get an event later but never did, declared War on the Little Entente three months later and never asked for Germany's help, so no Great War happened, beat the Little Entente, then released each as puppets to lower belligerence,could not get to many of the techs to activate, disappointed in that. Ended the game as a Major World Power none the less.

Found another brigade with similar speed issue as aero torpedo. The heavy payload brigade has the same 0 speed.

Note of caution when changing speed on some of the brigades. I mistakenly changed this brigade to 1500 rather than 150. That turned my zeppelins into supersonic aircraft!

I'm betting any new air brigades modified from types not originally meant for air attachment are going to have the same issue. Should still be ok to use them since there are only a few types and models of each. They just need speeds rates set for WW1 aircraft.

Reactions:
I plead guilty for the Greek database. :) I probably failed to find historical dates for Bouhagier and the Salamis Naval Yard or didn’t check. “Epitheorisi Pezikou” is just a fill-in: when I failed to find a specific army arsenal, I just translated “Infantry Inspection” in the country’s language, and that’s what happened here. Anyway, I need teams to replace those you pointed out. Do you know how the main arsenals for Hellenic Army and Navy were called? And what team could replace Bouhagier in industrial specialties?

As of now I didn’t implemented Melkor89’s database and won’t be able to do so immediately, so I think you can go on with joining forces with him if he’s OK, that would be so great. I remember having great trouble with Greek ministers (for example I couldn’t find a list of Ministers of Interior). Cabinet changes events have not been implemented and are planned for alpha 0.06, I barely started to write them (research is done already but might be incomplete for Greece).

There’s something much weird in your first screenshot. Borders look like the Balkan Wars are over, and Albania exists. But the message log below displays an event supposed to happen at the end of the first armistice during the First Balkan War. What happened exactly?
At first pic you can see what is the border result after First Balkan War.
Well I deside to use my Ministers and Leaders lists from my old MODs soon as I finish them I can give them to you.:)

At first pic you can see what is the border result after First Balkan War.
Well I deside to use my Ministers and Leaders lists from my old MODs soon as I finish them I can give them to you.:)

Thank you. As for the pic, it's weird. Albania exists: the events triggering this only happen some time after the Treaty of Bucharest, but the event shown in the log ("War resumes in the Balkans") is the one that ends the first armistice of the First Balkan War, well before Treaty of Bucharest.

The issue probably comes from weak triggers. I'll also make sure the Treaty of Bucharest gives everyone the right provinces (but before that, it is normal to see discrepancies, depending on who conquered what).

Not really. The mod's focus is WW1 and only WW1. Further expanding is not right out, but it will not happen before the mod is complete (which will obviously take much time). So no Greek-Turkish War for the moment, sorry. :)
Actually Greek-Turkish War timeline is between 1919 and 1922...:) As i can see you replace Chief of Army (military) with Minister of War (politicians), is that right ? You use that on purpose for politicians?

Actually Greek-Turkish War timeline is between 1919 and 1922...:) As i can see you replace Chief of Army (military) with Minister of War (politicians), is that right ? You use that on purpose for politicians?

My bad, I thought the Greek-Turkish War erupted a bit later. Still, immediate postwar era will be worked on only after WW1 is completed and reasonably balanced, which means probably during the beta process or later. But I agree that the immediate aftermath of WW1 would be interesting to play as well, although very difficult to mod (as the war can have many outcomes that would be difficult to anticipate correctly).

Yes, the move from Chief of Army (which was somewhat redundant with Chief of Staff) to Minister of War was made on purpose and required some rework for ministers. I've always been puzzled by cabinets lacking a War Minister in a grand strategy game, hence the change. The main principle in the mod is that Ministers of War (generally civilians) exert an influence on war production (i.e. unit costs and build times) while Chiefs of Staff (military) have influence on the army's operations and efficiency (unit or terrain bonuses, etc.).

My bad, I thought the Greek-Turkish War erupted a bit later. Still, immediate postwar era will be worked on only after WW1 is completed and reasonably balanced, which means probably during the beta process or later. But I agree that the immediate aftermath of WW1 would be interesting to play as well, although very difficult to mod (as the war can have many outcomes that would be difficult to anticipate correctly).

Yes, the move from Chief of Army (which was somewhat redundant with Chief of Staff) to Minister of War was made on purpose and required some rework for ministers. I've always been puzzled by cabinets lacking a War Minister in a grand strategy game, hence the change. The main principle in the mod is that Ministers of War (generally civilians) exert an influence on war production (i.e. unit costs and build times) while Chiefs of Staff (military) have influence on the army's operations and efficiency (unit or terrain bonuses, etc.).
The same applies for Navy Minister? Very soon Greek Leaders and Ministers will be ready, i have make a lot of work with new pics and persons, the new files are 99% historically accurate;). Offcourse I can make for you and elections events full with events pics...and also I have a suggestion- question, what did you say about
Provisional Government of National Defence must be a seperate Country? My suggestion is yes and I can help you with this.

Yes it's the same with Navy Ministers. I couldn't find a proper list for Greece and had to use a scanty list of commanders of the Hellenic Navy, so your help will be welcome.

After a check in English-speaking sources I found that the Salamis Naval Base was established in the 1880s and Bouhagier Patras in 1890. Maybe you had access to better Greek language sources?

I did not plan to add the National Defence Government as a distinct nation at first, to save time, but if you're ok to help with it then let's do it. My main concern is how Entente AIs would perform if Northern Greece was given to NDGov instead of France or Britain. Generally speaking, please let me know your ideas about how to properly figure the National Schism, the Greek entry in WW1, and how Central Powers could have dragged Greece to their side if they had a chance to do so.

Yes it's the same with Navy Ministers. I couldn't find a proper list for Greece and had to use a scanty list of commanders of the Hellenic Navy, so your help will be welcome.

After a check in English-speaking sources I found that the Salamis Naval Base was established in the 1880s and Bouhagier Patras in 1890. Maybe you had access to better Greek language sources?

I did not plan to add the National Defence Government as a distinct nation at first, to save time, but if you're ok to help with it then let's do it. My main concern is how Entente AIs would perform if Northern Greece was given to NDGov instead of France or Britain. Generally speaking, please let me know your ideas about how to properly figure the National Schism, the Greek entry in WW1, and how Central Powers could have dragged Greece to their side if they had a chance to do so.
Salamis Naval Base is actually a base not a shipyard the correct tech team is Naval Shipyard Vasiliadis Peramatos or Naval Shipyard Neorion Syrou, I will make and the tech teams I forgot to told you. Here is all the ministers i will make them to;). My idea is that National Defence Government must released as a seperate country and an ally of Entente and give the option to player to refuse abdication of King Constantine I, as a result will be the alliance with Central Powers and a civil war (?) with National Defence Government and Entente...:)

Very interesting. I'm looking forward further details. :)

As for the tech teams, there is an internal logic (explained in the related development diary) regarding their numbers for each country, specialties and skills. I suggest you draw inspiration from the current ones or even simply reuse them with a new name and icon.

I have a suggestion I have posted on projects with a similar timeline as this one; adding Kristian Birkeland and maybe even the electromagnetic cannon tech.

Since it starts in 1912, Egypt is the lucky nation receiving him. Birkeland was in Egypt from 1910 to 1916 studying the zodiac light. Feel free to doubt but I think his skill level is around 7 at least. The picture on the first page seems generous with the skills so he might deserve an even higher skill. His main component would by electronics but would also add chemistry and artillery however artillery might be a stretch. It was an electromagnetic cannon he made. Chemistry is fitting as he made patents including organics and the Birkeland-Eyde process produces chemicals. Norway may also be the most advanced in the world on artificial fertilizer at that time up until 1918. Math is also reasonable. Isn't math a necessity in his study of the northern light and other inventions? Mechanics and general equipment may also be suitable components.

I suppose some brainstorming is necessary if electromagnetic cannons are to become a tech. The earliest models from 1903 and 1904 didn't reach the theoretical range (which was quite far) in practice. Unlike traditional cannons, electromagnetic cannons are stationary due to their need for electricity. It could find usage as a stationary artillery on the map or as a naval cannon. However was it possible for ships to have the electricity needed to fire such a cannon at that time?
I think this tech would fit in with the secret tech and the earlier ones may not do anything similar to the early nuclear tech.

Reactions:
Thank you for your support. :) Regarding coil guns, I don't think a weapon which is still mostly experimental as of 2016 will make it to the mod.

Isn't Birkeland one of the founders of Norsk Hydro? That firm is one of the tech teams available to Norway in the mod iirc.
I know coil guns aren't a thing in our timeline, but I think it's interesting to imagine how it would have looked like had it been developed more. What if Birkeland got funded for the cannon? A reason it didn't was that his cannon short circuited during his presentation. While Birkeland met Sam Eyde before the presentation contrary to popular belief, it could have been the end of Hydro. Also, by 1910 Hydro is working without him. Because of the success of the Birkeland-Eyde process, he got the financial security to study what he wanted.
To me, Kristian Birkeland is Norway's version of Tesla. However, it might just be that coil guns are a type of technology that won't go anywhere despite funding and research.

Having playing All in One mod I noticed that coil guns is a 1970s tech. In a broader sense earlier tech pieces of to that one could be added. For 1912-1921 the tech could be there just for show if you don't mind having a little fun with the players.

If you are German I know of a German documentary of him. I'm looking forward to seeing more documentaries of this cool, forgotten scientist seen on our 200kr bill.

@Eginhard 38 Hi Eginhard 38, I would like to provide some feedback on your very interesting mod. I enjoy the WW1 scenario in Darkest Hour a great deal and fired up your mod to play this weekend. It was one of the few popular mods on this forum that I hadn't tried yet.

First, I really appreciate the fresh feel and flavor of the new tech trees. I can tell that they were created specifically with WW1 in mind. I can understand the appeal of mods like The Grand Campaign that go for almost a century, but I also feel that it is easy to lose the theme and focus of the main era that the mod begins in. This mod, focusing exclusively on the First World War, ensures the best experience for that particular conflict instead of a diluted and dull experience where the player is watching time go by and wondering if any new events will happen. Great job on that aspect!

This also applies to the Balkan War events. One of the main reasons I find the Paradox library of games so engaging is that I learn so much about the real history of our world while playing them and it inspires me to purchase new books and research these events online. I had a vague understanding of the Balkan War prior to playing the mod, but actually seeing the events you made in-game helped give a much better context for happened in reality. I also greatly enjoyed all of the events in those critical months of June-July-August of 1914 just before the war breaks out. I can tell a lot of research and care went into this and helps to show the player just how complex the situation was.

I playing my first campaign in France and war is about to break out. I felt like the combat and balancing was in a good place by experimenting with Morocco which France starts the game at war with. I plan to sweep up through Belgium and into the Rhineland as quickly as possible to attempt to encircle the German forces in Alsace-Lorraine as the French had once planned to do in reality until the realities of their situation began to set in and they found themselves outmatched by the Germans. The buildup to the outbreak of war has been a very rich and immersive World War 1 experience and the events are top notch. Great job so far.

Edit: I was able to reach Berlin and Vienna by Oct. 4th. With AI files and balancing this will be a great experience. The German AI didn't defend its border with Belgium so I was able to quickly run in. I notice there is a decision to propose an armistice (Wargoals.txt - Claim Victory FRA vs. U08 id = 9300020 but I can't get it to show up for me. Thanks and I will be glad to help keep testing out the mod!

V0W3lwF.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your feedback and appreciation. Events in wargoals.txt are stubs and are not 'active' (the file is not included in db/events.txt) yet.

The mod's ultimate goal is to provide a challenging and immersive experience of WW1, thus your comments are especially appreciated.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone who provides feedback, as it helps us to improve the mod.

It's still a long way to make a finished mod, but I learnt a lot while working with the DH team. It's better to wait a bit more for a bug-free mod, than to rush a bugged version.

Many important things are still to be implemented and I hope to do so in the following months. National morale in particular will require thorough testing, as it will impact the game's outcome and needs complex event chains to work. Balancing the mod will be the very object of the beta versions, but we're still a bit far from it.