Wonders of Persia (Tomb of Cyrus The Great and Gates of All Nations)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saman Wilson

First Lieutenant
72 Badges
May 14, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • War of the Vikings
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV
Dear devs I am not sure if you have seen my thread on the forums or not but, Tomb of Cyrus The Great (or his body) should definitely be a treasure and give modifiers. For example, "the body of Darius" is a thing in this game so why not represent The Great Cyrus as well? The man was the founder of Persia/Iran.
Plus it'd be cool if the tomb was displayed on the map itself. Even the ruins of "Gates of All Nations" in Persepolis being illustrated on the map would be awesome too.
These kind of "aesthetic" representations and even gameplay are actually lacking for Persia/Iran and Iranian Culture Group in this game, yet they're one of the oldest and probably the grandest (or at least one of). The Persians/Iranians should get their share of representation too.

Attachments

• Cyrus.jpg
    Cyrus.jpg
    102,4 KB · Views: 0
  • d1067ce804500af1064c05003a386c0f.jpg
    d1067ce804500af1064c05003a386c0f.jpg
    101,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I strongly agree here, just as I did in the original thread.

Might I also list a few additional obvious but missing wonders:
1. Athenian Acropolis
2. Nubian Pyramids
3. Abu Simbel
4. 2nd Temple of Jerusalem

• 8Like
Reactions:
5. Cothon of Carthage
6. Al-Khazneh in Petra
7. Kaaba in Mecca
8. Ishtar Gate (currently a treasure which doesn't make sense)
9. Newgrange, Ireland
10. Valley of the Temples, Acragas.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
5. Cothon of Carthage
6. Al-Khazneh in Petra
7. Kaaba in Mecca
8. Ishtar Gate (currently a treasure which doesn't make sense)
9. Newgrange, Ireland
10. Valley of the Temples, Acragas.
Al-Khazneh is 1st century CE, so too young.
Was the Valley of the Temples significant in its time? I thought it was more famous simply because of it's excellent condition today (but admittedly I have no idea)

Otherwise looking great!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I am playing as Athens and I find it strange they don't start with a Wonder in the city. Considering that there are multiple famous ancient buildings there.

• 2Like
Reactions:
11. Oracle of Delphi
1615020738756.png
13. The cyclopean city walls of Daorson
14. The acropolis of the oppidum of Závist (6th century BC)
15. Nuraghe Su Nuraxi
16. Etruscan necropolis near Tarquinia

• 4Like
Reactions:
11. Oracle of Delphi
SPOILER: 12. SCYTHIAN ROYAL KURGANS(AROUND THE DNIEPR)

13. The cyclopean city walls of Daorson
14. The acropolis of the oppidum of Závist (6th century BC)
15. Nuraghe Su Nuraxi
16. Etruscan necropolis near Tarquinia

Look I'm obviously in favor of adding more wonders, and I don't want to be a buzzkill, but not every ancient ruin that happened to survive to the present should be a wonder. Most of the in game wonders don't actually have any noteworthy remaining ruins. Some of these recommendations (not all but some) are just the remainder of buildings you expect in any ancient city; things that would have been normal in their day. We consider them remarkable because they still exist.

The structure should be something that people from the era would have seen as exceptional and worth visiting as a traveler.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Look I'm obviously in favor of adding more wonders, and I don't want to be a buzzkill, but not every ancient ruin that happened to survive to the present should be a wonder. Most of the in game wonders don't actually have any noteworthy remaining ruins. Some of these recommendations (not all but some) are just the remainder of buildings you expect in any ancient city; things that would have been normal in their day. We consider them remarkable because they still exist.

The structure should be something that people from the era would have seen as exceptional and worth visiting as a traveler.
So like Stonehenge, the acropolis of Pergamon / Athens, the Temple of Jupiter Maximus, ...? They are famous and to some extent unique representants, so I don't get why we cannot have representants of other cultures' 'wonders'. Anyway, it's no good to only focus on the Greco-Roman world in Europe and neglect anything else, as we don't really need to stick with the bias of the ancient Greco-Romans nearly two millenia after they lived.

Some of my suggestions are pars pro toto to represent a general phenomenon (it's not possible to have a wonder stretch across several cities, so it's a simplification for a game). There's also a gameplay argument to make some peripheral regions more valuable, as currently Asia minor is the most valuable one with Pergamon, Ephesos, Halikarnassos and Rhodos; you only need Babylon to have all valuable bonuses stacked at once.

The Scythian royal kurgans were a very important part of Scythian culture and they are similar to the Valley of the Kings, albeit less known in our western popular culture.
The nuraghe were noted by the Romans and are/were visible landmarks. Daorson's city walls are often compared to Bronze Age Mycenae's. Závist is the only major inhabited Hallstatt site at the game's start (and got 'upgraded' in the Celtic oppia period).

• 2Like
Reactions:
So like Stonehenge, the acropolis of Pergamon / Athens, the Temple of Jupiter Maximus, ...? They are famous and to some extent unique representants, so I don't get why we cannot have representants of other cultures' 'wonders'. Anyway, it's no good to only focus on the Greco-Roman world in Europe and neglect anything else, as we don't really need to stick with the bias of the ancient Greco-Romans nearly two millenia after they lived.

Some of my suggestions are pars pro toto to represent a general phenomenon (it's not possible to have a wonder stretch across several cities, so it's a simplification for a game). There's also a gameplay argument to make some peripheral regions more valuable, as currently Asia minor is the most valuable one with Pergamon, Ephesos, Halikarnassos and Rhodos; you only need Babylon to have all valuable bonuses stacked at once.

The Scythian royal kurgans were a very important part of Scythian culture and they are similar to the Valley of the Kings, albeit less known in our western popular culture.
The nuraghe were noted by the Romans and are/were visible landmarks. Daorson's city walls are often compared to Bronze Age Mycenae's. Závist is the only major inhabited Hallstatt site at the game's start (and got 'upgraded' in the Celtic oppia period).
We definitely need more from other cultures. I only recommended one new Greco-Roman wonder myself (the Athenian acropolis).

Here’s what I meant. The nuraghes were just the unique architecture of that cultures cities, fortresses, and granaries. They’re all over the island. Sure you mention the most impressive one, but by that logic why not have the ruins of Nineveh and Ur be wonders? The same point applies to the walls of daorsum and the oppidium - they’re just city ruins. It’s a slippery slope if we start including city ruins across the map as wonders, especially considering that most of the wonders were contemporary (or near contemporary) structures. The pyramids and Stonehenge being the only real exceptions - the hanging gardens are obviously problematic, but that’s a whole other thing.

The Etruscan necropolis. I mean would contemporaries have valued that any more than any other necropolis?

The other two are great suggestions though. They are discrete structures, maintained and visited by contemporaries. They aren’t ruins and were not mundane aspects of everyday life.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
one of the generic tower designs is the Tower of Hercules from the second century AD. Al Khazneh was built just a few decades after the end of the game, a more successful Nabatea might do it earlier.
Yeah but that works because it’s not ACTUALLY the tower of Hercules. It’s just a hypothetical puzzle piece that could fit into a custom building. And besides, the idea was simply to capture what a Roman lighthouse would have looked like, not to specifically replicate that structure. Do you see what I mean? If they want to start adding things well outside the game’s timeline then fine, but it just feels like a low priority considering how many extant structures aren’t yet represented. Not to mention how annoying it would be to see the ai build this thing 2, 3, 4, or even 5 centuries ahead of time.

But the game has a random event allowing anyone to construct a stonehenge anyhwere.
Just make the decision to construct Al-Khazneh locked behind a high tech level (e.g. 20) so it won't be built until late game (a few decades ahead of schedule)

Again that’s not the same. That’s replicating an existing structure. Building a new Stonehenge is the same as building a new pyramid. It’s not the same as peering into the future and building the Flavian amphitheater from your prophetic visions

I would love to see Bam Citadel, maybe it could give a big bonus to fort defence.

Reactions: