Wiz is stepping down as Game Director of Stellaris

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was EU4 golden age, in my opinion.

I dare to agree.
After that came Mare Nostrum. And we all know Mare Nostrum is... Mare Nostrum. But after that came Rights of Man, and that is (for me at least) the last truly great DLC (plus the patch) EU4 had.
Nothing ever compared to that scale and quality of changes and additions since.

Will that be Wiz' first paradox game, where he is game director from the start?

Sounds like something to look forward to :) Hopefully, its the "ultimate scifi game" he talked about 2 years ago :)

Vicky 3 is almost certainly in the works already (or at least Paradox seems to have been working with two secret titles for some time now, of which one was Imperator), so either the previous director stepped down or he is going to third internal title.

I'll miss Wiz at Stellaris' helm.
Exactly. He is going to Stellaris 2, which will be released in 2020 on a new engine after Stellaris 1 is finished in its development.

P.S.: lol never got so many downvotes, seems there are too many Vici fans here :D

I dare to agree.
After that came Mare Nostrum. And we all know Mare Nostrum is... Mare Nostrum. But after that came Rights of Man, and that is (for me at least) the last truly great DLC (plus the patch) EU4 had.
Nothing ever compared to that scale and quality of changes and additions since.

I honestly think they're running out of things you can usefully do with EU4, which is something Stellaris will come up against at some point.. at what point do you just have to accept it's time to stop?

Admittedly the sci fi thing gives them a broader can canvas than a few hundred years of history, but I think there will come a point when no more mechanics can be usefully added to the game.

I honestly think they're running out of things you can usefully do with EU4, which is something Stellaris will come up against at some point.. at what point do you just have to accept it's time to stop?

Admittedly the sci fi thing gives them a broader can canvas than a few hundred years of history, but I think there will come a point when no more mechanics can be usefully added to the game.
I agree with this.And i prefer a sequel that the increase of system requirement like they are do in 1.28
I have the money for upgrade my machine but it's the principle of planned obsolescence that i am totally against personnaly.

The main obstacle for further EU4 development is the mess the years of DLC have caused. Any serious changes to the game would require rethinking many basic game aspects over again or even tossing them out altogether which is not so easy to do when you have people who have paid for a certain DLC feature. This kind of DLC-based development is not that suitable for a grand strategy game where all the mechanics are somewhat interlinked. The only Paradox game that has managed to do it somewhat elegantly is CK2 where most of the characters were not playable on release so it was natural to make them playable via DLC and sneak in some general improvements each time.

The main obstacle for further EU4 development is the mess the years of DLC have caused. Any serious changes to the game would require rethinking many basic game aspects over again or even tossing them out altogether which is not so easy to do when you have people who have paid for a certain DLC feature. This kind of DLC-based development is not that suitable for a grand strategy game where all the mechanics are somewhat interlinked. The only Paradox game that has managed to do it somewhat elegantly is CK2 where most of the characters were not playable on release so it was natural to make them playable via DLC and sneak in some general improvements each time.
CK2 has two big problems for me.First,the engine limitations.Secondly,it's the only recent Paradox Games that doesn't let you continue in observer mode if you lose.So for me,the game over of CK2 is very frustrating.I think a CK3 should be a good option.
Cordially.

I bought Stellaris when it was released. It was a great game from the first day on, nonetheless I always compared it with something like a "rough diamond". Very good, but so much potential.

Now, with the arrival of version 2.2., I am convinced, it is the best version of stellaris, we ever had. In my opinion, the major changes with 2.0 and 2.2 made stellaris a so much better game. Thank you, Wiz and all devs/ members of the stellaris-team for the hard work you put into this game.

I hope, with dmoregard as the new game director, stellaris will follow this road and become even better in the future.
Do your best. I'm supporting it ;)

On one side I'm hyped that Wiz, (the best game director of Paradox in my humble opinion) is working on a new project.
On the other side I'm careful, because I don't know what to expect from Daniel.

We all know what happened to EU4 when Wiz stepped down, but I'm carefully optimistic, since Daniel seems to have a similar vision for Stellaris as Wiz.

This is, 1:1, my train of thoughts.

Thanks for the info, here's hoping for the best!

I would joke that Stellaris 2 is confirmed, but I think we're already playing it.

I look forward to seeing what both Wiz and Daniel (and their teams) produce in the future.

So when was Wiz the game director of EUIV? Which expansions are his work?

I'm a little sad, since Stellaris has been so strongly Martin's vision (which is awesome) but it's far too early to say anything about future development. I just hope the diplomacy DLC will have more internal struggles, civil war mechanics etc. Please, stay away from EUIV model where every DLC just stacks more and more bonuses.

Cossacks and El Dorado was his.

I agree with this.And i prefer a sequel that the increase of system requirement like they are do in 1.28
I have the money for upgrade my machine but it's the principle of planned obsolescence that i am totally against personnaly.

I don't really see how they could do a sequel to EU4 or CK2 without them being a massive step down in terms of complexity and features.

How can they put something out the gate that matches, on day one, the years and years of patches and DLC that have gone into those games, with a budget within the realms of sanity? Because if you think fans are going to be understanding of that... well, they won't be. Stellaris is in a bit of a different place right now because the past two years have largely been about working out what type game they want Stellaris to be, and redoing much of what didn't work in 1.0 but given another two years it's going to be an absolute beast of a game.

Well, that came kind of unexpected! Wiz did a great deal for this game by providing a rock solid framework and overall vision, and my only hope is that the new game director will keep the current course of moving more into the direction of an actual GSG than a classic, and in my opinion, dull traditional 4X. That, and that the secret new title is Vicky III, of course.

Daniel has done lots of the design on Apocalypse and Megacorps. He's been working on Stellaris longer than anyone that is not a Goose, first as the UX designer and then as Game Designer.

I am superhappy to have @grekulf in charge of Stellaris now.

I think the real question is who is going to be doing the twitter teasers from now on. Maybe Martin could be Twitter Teaser Emeritus and still do it? Everyone knows he can't get enough of teasing on twitter, and he won't be able to tease about his new game for ages.

No more Wiz memes?

Now I look like Cox from Robocop when Boddicker has blown his new car with Cobra Assault Canon.

I don't really see how they could do a sequel to EU4 or CK2 without them being a massive step down in terms of complexity and features.

How can they put something out the gate that matches, on day one, the years and years of patches and DLC that have gone into those games, with a budget within the realms of sanity? Because if you think fans are going to be understanding of that... well, they won't be. Stellaris is in a bit of a different place right now because the past two years have largely been about working out what type game they want Stellaris to be, and redoing much of what didn't work in 1.0 but given another two years it's going to be an absolute beast of a game.
It's simply my opinion.The decision to make a sequel is entirely the Paradox decision.I am not against this model personnaly.

I know it's not fair but I fear we are leaving innovate mode and going into coast mode. Maybe I am just jaded by EU4, and I understand you can't have 2.0/2.2 style total overhauls every major DLC, but I just hope this does not signal that this is the "final form" of Stellaris and all we have left in terms of development are minor tinkering with stats and cosmetic packs.

Stellaris still has huge potential, and I hope they intend to try to meet it.

Well damn. My last dozen or so posts are just me nitpicking the hell out of 2.2, and now this news... makes me feel like kind of a jerk!

Stellaris is a game that was cool when released and constantly moving in a direction I love. I do not think I have felt this good about a game from outset and through expansions since civ4, and have not felt as immersed into the lore and story since probably Alpha Centauri.

I just really hope both that this is a very well-deserved lateral promotion for IMO the best game lead on earth, and also, that this Daniel fella will be able to fill the Shaq-sized shoes being left to him.

I know it's not fair but I fear we are leaving innovate mode and going into coast mode. Maybe I am just jaded by EU4, and I understand you can't have 2.0/2.2 style total overhauls every major DLC, but I just hope this does not signal that this is the "final form" of Stellaris and all we have left in terms of development are minor tinkering and cosmetic packs.

Stellaris still has huge potential, and I hope they intend to try to meet it.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Stellaris scales back on the "total overhauls" a little bit. I love the improvements made but I'd like them to make a good pass at bugs/balance before they do any more major upheavals.

Status
Not open for further replies.