Will the AI know how to wage war or will it be more of ck2?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcuser1584789

Banned
34 Badges
Jan 5, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
In CK2 the AI is incompetent. Like if an AI has to defend against an attacker that is trying to take a county. The AI should immediately move all armies to concentrate on this county and wait for the enemy. The shortest route between the enemy realm and the defender's realm should be considered for defense points. The war target county or duchy should be the primary defense point. If a defender has less men he should not run away and go siege the enemy realm when he is supposed to be defending! They should never resort to just leaving the war target undefended. If they have to defend a single county they should either surrender up front or place every available soldier on the war target and wait. If they are defending a duchy or kingdom they should try to avcoid battle or go after any smaller armies they can find. They need to wait until the enemy loses enough strength from sieging and attrition. They should wait 'til the last possible moment to engage in battle when the disadvantage is minimal. They should never leave their realm as a defender and try to siege worthless enemy counties UNLESS they can split the army and leave a defense force behind. Defending the realms should always be the AI's priority regardless if it is outnumbered. They need to place their armies on advantageous terrain and wait. CK2 is literally broken because the AI has no ability to defend itself. It does not matter how powerful an AI is, he will always and I mean always lose everything because they are incompentent. The AI needs to be thorough and it needs to be thinking about different situations and the best strategy. In CK2 the AI is so dumb it ruins the game. The one thing that ruins every game I play on CK2 is watching the AI do ridiculous things in war. If only it could be fixed in CK3 and have well thought out logic. I really don't want to find out CK3 is just CK2 with 3d animations. I want CK3 to be the best game ever but it can not be CK2 all over again.

Reactions:
> immediately move all armies to concentrate on this county and wait for the enemy.

then it looses all of its army to attrition, brilliant move <-you are trying to belittle people for no reason other than you disagree with them
wow ur not very smart (I can be sarcastic too, it is not very nice and now we can't debate our opinions because you have made things personal)

if they are defending then the war target is in their realm where they have supply... didn't think that one through did you?

this website is full of trolls that constantly look to belittle people... no need to be sarcastic unless you are trying to instigate, next time I will report you

edit: changed my mind and decided to report you, i won't tolerate trolling or harassment

Last edited:
Reactions:
keep disagreeing you Russian bots, anyone who disagrees with what i said in OP is a fool and has no idea how this game works. That's a fact.

I repeat, a fool.

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
keep disagreeing you Russian bots, anyone who disagrees with what i said in OP is a fool and has no idea how this game works. That's a fact.

I repeat, a fool.
I think the people who disagree with your post also think that the AI should not do very dumb things, but might disagree because your post is a rant. You know, if enter a room yelling loudly, that might put people off.
Back to the topic: I think the main issue with that in CK2 is that apparently, there's no condition for:
IF this is a defensive war AND I am not outnumbering my enemy by a lot THEN I should focus on defense.
Where "focus on defense" mainly needs to make sure that the AI is not sending its troop across the sea. Ideally, an AI focussing on defense would put, as you said, their troops to either the wargoal area, defensive terrain and or their capital. I think that while this will not make the AI super smart, it is sufficient to make sure that the inevitable stupidity (unless they employ deepmind^^) is not obvious.
Some journalists pointed out that the AI in CK3 was still doing some stupid things like that in the preview build, so I hope that they fix it.

Reactions:
I do agree that the AI, at least in CK2, isn't great at defending. Often enough I see them have stronger armies than me but I beat them cause they cant be bothered to make a death stack and just crush my army. Instead choosing to siege stuff. They seem to be overly focused on offence? I'm not sure I don't pay much attention to war AI as I curb stomp it.

We haven't seen how the AI in CK3 handles things in its entirety and it's rather early, hopefully better. Sometimes a good defence is a good defence. And changed balancing for combat might help alleviate this.

Back to the topic: I think the main issue with that in CK2 is that apparently, there's no condition for

Honestly I want to see personalities of the leaders in charge of the troops influence this. Sure traits influence if, how, when and against what they declare war.

But seeing an aggressive leader aggressively hunt down troops on the map, or a defensive leader pool troops together into a death stack and hold the fort till he feels confident in victory would be great. Alongside just more logical use of their forces. If they already do influence things I guess it doesn't do it enough?

I agree wholeheartedly with your entire post.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.