Will 2.6.3 fix the AI starbase upgrade issue? (2.7.2 update)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Flat +100 seems better than 0 if the entire purpose is to buff the AI.
To me, the purpose is to buff the AI by making it engage with the mechanics better; the less we are called upon to "ignore the man behind the curtain", the better.

Under my axioms, which may not be your axioms, teaching the AI to ignore cap (well. sort of. it should probably pay attention to it in reverse, by not upgrading existing starbases to the next higher size if it still has cap to use up and systems to use it in.) when deciding whether to upgrade a starbase that already counts against the cap to a higher tier seems far and away a better choice.

Yeah, I was wondering why the AI was still useless as ever in the lategame, even though the economy has been improved. This explains it.

Lets hope it gets fixed soon, since I dont see any reason of playing until then, when the AI is still such a pushover.

Yeah, I was wondering why the AI was still useless as ever in the lategame, even though the economy has been improved. This explains it.

Lets hope it gets fixed soon, since I dont see any reason of playing until then, when the AI is still such a pushover.
What I have been doing as a work around in the meantime is taking over the AI every 5-10 years and upgrading their starbases for them (open up console type play 1, play 2, play 3, etc all while paused. debugtooltip will tell you their ID numbers. Most will be 1-15, but a handful of them will have really high numbers like 41, 42)

If you do that, the AI takes care of the rest and their fleet power scales pretty nicely.

Today, I ran two tests from the same game on Grand Admiral. In one test I let it run to 2310 without intereference and just watched. In the second test, every 10 years I would check each empire and see if they had the alloy and tech to upgrade their starbases. If they did, I would do it for them. Here are the results:
stellaris manually building vs default.png

It's worth pointing out that the default non-interference run looks significantly better than it should. In the non-interference game, the AI passed resolutions that increased naval capacity. In the test where I was upgrading starbases every 10 years, they actually had a resolution that reduced naval capacity by 10%.

You can see that in the 2nd half of the 2200s, the AI fleet power starts to diverge. It seems to get even sharper once you get into the 2300s. It wouldn't shock me if the gap just got larger and larger over the course of the game.

Reactions:
that chart is great, probably 10x more work than PDX put into investigating this. hopefully they take what you've done here and use it to work out a fix

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think StarNet mostly fixes this and you can always try tweaking the AI weights allocated for ship upgrades and it set it to virtually nil while pushing starbase resources to a higher amount.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The bug can't be fixed by mods. At least in the most common understanding of the word "fix".

AI mods (Starnet and Glavius) don't fix it, they implement a workaround, an event which once per year force-upgrades one starbase and subtracts the needed amount of alloys. If such bugs pile up you will need to add more and more events to simulate the game mechanics.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
2.7.2 looks like it did

Reactions:
Alright, good news guys. I ran a 100 year long test to see if the fix actually worked and I am happy to report that the AI was able to keep their fleet power up to about what I was doing when manually upgrading for them.

Here is an updated Chart showing two 2.6.3 games and then a 2.7.2 game I let the AI run itself.

2.7.2 starbase fix.png

• 7Like
Reactions:
Thank you pmchem. Your persistance in bringing it up again and again was probably what finally got it prioritized and fixed. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

• 2Like
Reactions: