Why on earth does station besiegers split of Men-at-Arms

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stgerlachus

Major
137 Badges
Jun 10, 2004
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
This is my army.

2020_10_19_1.png

And this is what station besiegers decides to split off

2020_10_19_2.png

Every single troop that is split off is a Men-at-Arms. This seems like a massive design oversight. Why on earth would it not split off levies. It's annoying for players (as it makes the button useless) and I assume the AI also does this, which means any armies that aren't besieging a city are also to weak to really fight.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is my army.

View attachment 643797

And this is what station besiegers decides to split off

View attachment 643796

Every single troop that is split off is a Men-at-Arms. This seems like a massive design oversight. Why on earth would it not split off levies. It's annoying for players (as it makes the button useless) and I assume the AI also does this, which means any armies that aren't besieging a city are also to weak to really fight.
Certain innovations gives some of your non-seige engine MAA types Seige progression, and that should cause those types to be left behind.

But if you don't have that innovation, then this seems like a bug.

Certain innovations gives some of your non-seige engine MAA types Seige progression, and that should cause those types to be left behind.

But if you don't have that innovation, then this seems like a bug.

I think you're referring to the Sappers perk in the Strategist tree, at least I can't find anything similar on the wiki page on innovations.

And I'm not sure I've ever had that perk, and I've seen this happen quite often. And quite honestly, if you have siege weapons in your army that boost is most likely negligible.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It makes sense to split off siege weapon MAAs, and I could see an argument for if you have the "Sappers" perk unlocked for the martial lifestyle, but it seems to always default to splitting off all MAAs, which is just bad.

I'm not sure it affects the AI, though. I don't often see them going for splitting their armies up to carpet siege anyway, so I doubt they use that button.

I think you're referring to the Sappers perk in the Strategist tree, at least I can't find anything similar on the wiki page on innovations.

And I'm not sure I've ever had that perk, and I've seen this happen quite often. And quite honestly, if you have siege weapons in your army that boost is most likely negligible.
The boost is unimportant, it's the existence of the siege progression that causes the behavior. Any points towards seige progression gets the unit split off when using the "split Besiegers" button.

That said, now i'm not sure where the ability comes from. It's not in the martial tree and I'm not finding in innovations right now.

Ah nope, you are right, It's Sapper in the Strategic tree. F'ing blind today.