Why doesn't Unam Sanctam (Holy War CB) work after 1650?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

onion_knight

Corporal
42 Badges
Feb 26, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
I just got the religious idea group for the holy war cb. After having trouble not getting it to work I searched around on the forum and it seems it goes away after the year 1650?? So I can't even make any use of it. It says right there on the idea: "PERMANENT cassus belli on all other religious groups." What is the reasoning behind this? Is this a bug or WAD?

Are you, by any chance, Defender of the Faith?

I ask because being Defender of the Faith (for some incomprehensible reason best known only to Paradox) prevents you from using the Holy War CB that the religious ideas give you against neighbouring heathens (but still allows the Cleansing of Heresy CB that the Religious ideas give you against neighbouring heretics).

The Peace of Westphalia convinces everyone to be less manic about using religion to declare war. The Ottoman Sultan, Chinese Emperor, and various non-christian, non-invitees are informed by letter that they are no longer allowed to use this casus belli. They are so overawed by the Latin in which this is phrased, cuius regio, eius religio, that they immediately fall in line with the decision to establish a "Christian and Universal Peace". :p

The same thing happened in EU3. It's supposed to represent the fact that after that date, most religious warfare calmed down. Protestant and Catholic alliances were much more common after that date, and the excuse of "Well, they're Protestants, so I'm going to take their land" wasn't really good enough anymore. Still though, I agree that it should be in the tool tip.

The defender of the faith CB appears to be unusable.