Why do open Sterlings in a Dome need maintainance?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

spannbeton

Major
29 Badges
Nov 2, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II
Closed stirlings dont need maintainance, and they are "vulnerable to dust". What does that mean? Higher factor of dust to maintainance?

However I put some in my first dome to power my base, still they require maintainance. Why? They should be completely safe from dust there!

Machinery always needs maintenance. It's just being outside in the martian dust makes it require more maintenance from the dust.

The only way a closed stirling could have no maintenance if it is assumed that in closed state you only use the RTG part of the system, the stirling part not even moving. But if the RTGs gives us 10 energy by themselves, than pls, give us an option to build only those with reduced cost (and no other energy option will be used ever.)

The only way a closed stirling could have no maintenance if it is assumed that in closed state you only use the RTG part of the system, the stirling part not even moving. But if the RTGs gives us 10 energy by themselves, than pls, give us an option to build only those with reduced cost (and no other energy option will be used ever.)

Eh. The stirling engine part is maybe 5M out of the 400. RTGs are -very- expensive. The simplest possible mechanical generator... not so much. It's literally a cylinder, a push/pull plate, a flywheel, two metal rods, and three pins. How much discount do you think it should get for leaving that behind and keeping the RTG which contains materials that don't exist in nature and can only be manufactured in dedictated breeder plants?

If anything, you should -only- be able to prefab them, at least until you have, say, Nuclear Accumulators or equivalent.

Stirling engine and simple, that is not a common two phrase you see in a same sentence. Yep, the rtg needs special materials, but otherwise a passive item. And you need a tech for stirling (hopefully for the rtg part and not the stirling part), so that is covered.
And how much I expect to save: most of the metal cost, or at least comperable amount to an other power generators cost.

I personally think that building them in a dome is an oversight. Don't think they intended it.

I suspect that the generator doesn't take into account the dome is shielding it from the dust outside because it was never meant to be built there

The water, oxygen, and small bits of stuff in a normal atmosphere (aka, what you'd find in a dome) would still cause issues for machinery. Outside the worry would be dust, especially any dust especially agitated such as from the extractors and rockets.

Put your sterling generators within range of a triboelectric scrubber, and you won't have to perform any maintenance on them.

EVER.

Not even when you open the sterling generators.
If done right, you can put over a hundred sterling generators within range of one triboelectric scrubber (range at max)