Why are you allowed to colonize Africa?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't think they need to add any bonues per say, the bonus is already there - you collect a large bounty of trade income. They just need to make the AI understand how important it is and be willing to dow for it if they must.

I think it's rather the opposite. The AI colonises too much of Africa (and I suspect getting a presence in multiple trade nodes is already responsible for 'patchy' colonisation; Portugal or Spain jumping to Chesapeake, then west and southern Africa rather than finishing painting initial colonisation areas).

A better representation of what jockedahl and I are talking about would be significant bonuses to colonial growth elsewhere, for colonising (or being 'given') a single province in any given African region, representing a slave-trading post (and a naval staging point towards the east). A deal with the neighbouring African nation, even a protectorate, simulating them providing slaves in return for arms.

I think it's rather the opposite. The AI colonises too much of Africa (and I suspect getting a presence in multiple trade nodes is already responsible for 'patchy' colonisation; Portugal or Spain jumping to Chesapeake, then west and southern Africa rather than finishing painting initial colonisation areas).

A better representation of what jockedahl and I are talking about would be significant bonuses to colonial growth elsewhere, for colonising (or being 'given') a single province in any given African region, representing a slave-trading post (and a naval staging point towards the east). A deal with the neighbouring African nation, even a protectorate, simulating them providing slaves in return for arms.

Ok, I could get on board with that. Sounds reasonable and interesting.

Ok, I could get on board with that. Sounds reasonable and interesting.

I want to see howthe DLC plays out, particularly around colonisation and trade generally, but the idea would be something like:

- Discovery of the ivory/gold coast/Nigeria/Congo areas
- Be granted a strategic slave goods province (e.g. Fernando Po) as colony, or even immediate city (fortified trading posts)
- Significant Local trade power modifier on this province, giving a strong trade presence without need to colonise multiple provinces
- Global modifier to colony growth and/or tariff/production efficiency (carry this over to new 'colonial nation'?)
- Long term truce or protectorate with neighbouring African AI; they receive military tech bonus
- Perhaps auto-discover a few more sea provinces towards India...

African colonisation require max 3k protecting new colony, ussually its 2k. Its funny to see 6-8k of natives cant beat 2k of condotta infantry. Agresivenes and ferocity does not matter that much.

If you're going down there ~ tech 4 or 5, you want 3 at least. If you're actually an African nation and trying to do it with spearmen, you want 5-6 and a general on them X_X, though they can use ~3 also if they make it to tech 5 in military. Usually with them however you've push all the $$ into ADM to open the idea group asap.