Why are characters in AOW4 uglier than those in AOW3?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

I'm gaming

Colonel
4 Badges
Dec 23, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
I searched for information about the game to make a purchase decision and discovered that the characters in AOW4 are uglier than those in AOW3.

This is very disappointing. I can accept ugly characters if you can’t make them better. But why do you make characters look like mashed potatoes when you have the capability to make them better?

I also discovered that the game's optimization is disastrous. If the poor modeling isn't due to optimization concerns, what is the reason behind this?

Last edited:
Reactions:
You mean the art is stylized? Cause saying that AoW4 characters are uglier vs AoW3 is a bit of a stretch, a lot of AoW3 characters looked like they were made out of clay.

iu

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
They are not? Have you seen what Ham Binger looks like in Aow3? Granted even his model in AoW4 doesn't look quite as charming as his portrait from AoW2 and 1, but at least he doesn't look like he was in a horrible accident anymore.

Sundren also looks better in 4 than she did in 3, imo, and I liked that they gave her a more serious outfit. And overall the characters don't have that weird, washed out skin texture anymore that they had in AoW3.

Reactions:
Hmm

Attachments

• comparison-of-the-old-and-new-appearance-of-the-characters-v0-14viito835ma1.jpg
    comparison-of-the-old-and-new-appearance-of-the-characters-v0-14viito835ma1.jpg
    43,5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Characters Sundren and Laryssa seem better in 3.
Sure, it could be argued that some individual characters are prettier altho at the same time it should also be noted that it could be subjective. When it comes to Sundren, I would strongly argue that she looks exactly as she should be and by exactly I mean to the T.

Now if we are talking about the art style that was chosen, I don't think it's a bad one (that is subjective tho). It reminds me of Darksiders and Chronos: Before the Ashes.

ss_83a52e59b3131374afeb3950beb589ed6caaccf6.1920x1080.jpg

iu

PS
Talk about optimization is not untrue, but it varies from person to person. Personally I didn't notice much of FPS drops (one was on underground siege map and second was during turning on/off province icons on the world map) and it's not like I'm on a strong rig (3060 playing at 1920x1200 locked to 60). At the same time I've heard horror stories from peeps with 4080s.

Reactions:
Sure, it could be argued that some individual characters are prettier altho at the same time it should also be noted that it could be subjective. When it comes to Sundren, I would strongly argue that she looks exactly as she should be and by exactly I mean to the T.

Now if we are talking about the art style that was chosen, I don't think it's a bad one (that is subjective tho). It reminds me of Darksiders and Chronos: Before the Ashes.

ss_83a52e59b3131374afeb3950beb589ed6caaccf6.1920x1080.jpg

iu

PS
Talk about optimization is not untrue, but it varies from person to person. Personally I didn't notice much of FPS drops (one was on underground siege map and second was during turning on/off province icons on the world map) and it's not like I'm on a strong rig (3060 playing at 1920x1200 locked to 60). At the same time I've heard horror stories from peeps with 4080s.

I'm running the game on a 2060, and sure it lags in areas on Ultra, but i would argue it runs just fine on my almost Museumpiece.

Reactions:
I'm running the game on a 2060, and sure it lags in areas on Ultra, but i would argue it runs just fine on my almost Museumpiece.
Eh, optimization is always hard topic to discuss. On one hand it could be just badly done by the devs (plus devs should always be pushed to optimize their product more) on the other you never know if players are running million instances of bonzi buddy on their machine or something.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I don't think characters look worse overall. However, I do feel like especially Sundren looks worse than she did in 3. I get that she is supposed to be older and probably aged due to stress, but it still seems a bit to much.

Reactions:
IIRC the models in 3 were static. In 4 they are subject to race transformation spells. Artistic choices that work for the initial model might break once you apply leaf skin, goat legs or demon wings.

Reactions:
I don't think characters look worse overall. However, I do feel like especially Sundren looks worse than she did in 3. I get that she is supposed to be older and probably aged due to stress, but it still seems a bit to much.

She looks a bit older, yes. But I'm glad she doesn't looks like some Avril Lavigne-wannabe in bad makeup and a tight leather bodice anymor. Never was a fan of her design in AoW3.

That's something I think that's present with the design in AoW4 they toned down the make-up in comparison to AoW3 where it was, imo, just a bit too heavy (and modern) on the female characters.

• 3Like
Reactions:
She looks a bit older, yes. But I'm glad she doesn't looks like some Avril Lavigne-wannabe in bad makeup and a tight leather bodice anymor. Never was a fan of her design in AoW3.

That's something I think that's present with the design in AoW4 they toned down the make-up in comparison to AoW3 where it was, imo, just a bit too heavy (and modern) on the female characters.

I like myself some eyeliner on female characters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would you call Egyptian make-up too modern heavy?
Or Renaissance perhaps...

Attachments

• Nofretete_Neues_Museum.jpg
    Nofretete_Neues_Museum.jpg
    150,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1659764626-PUPA_labial_rojo_02.jpg
    1659764626-PUPA_labial_rojo_02.jpg
    42,5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Technically, Vikings had even better one, but it's still a different thing :)

Technically a better one? Don't fall for the modern depiction of Vikings ;)

Makeup was not as prevalent as today. Viking women used natural pigments to enhance their features subtly. They would apply crushed berries or roots to create a rosy cheek or lip stain and use charcoal or crushed minerals to define their eyes. The emphasis was on achieving a fresh, natural appearance that aligned with the beauty standards of their society. The focus was on natural beauty, physical strength, and functional clothing. Hairstyles and jewelry provided an opportunity for individual expression and display of wealth, while makeup was limited and subtle.

I do find the new Sundren a bit too bland, but i am ok with it. I mostly look at her from above when she slays me some demons.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I like myself some eyeliner on female characters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would you call Egyptian make-up too modern heavy?
Or Renaissance perhaps...

The Egyptians were famous for their eyeliner which also had practical reasons in their unique environment, so if we include an Ancient Egyptian-based culture then we can have Ancient Egyptian-based eyeliner for that culture.
The second one...that's Baroque or Rococo. So yeah, I'd call that too modern. Edit: But again, if we get a culture that's based on the Baroque/Rococo periods, then we can have make-up styles like that for that culture.

But it's not just the eyeliner. The whole makeup just screams (2000s-2010s)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: