• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7.18.2 _ September 1023 Jorvik, Jorvik; Tower of Jorvik

September 1023
Jorvik, Jorvik
Tower of Jorvik

Crístina sat on the stool anxiously awaiting the opening of the door to her prison. Since being placed in the tower six months ago she had not been outside of the rooms that made up her so-called chambers. In that time, she had very few visitors. Her two lady attendants saw her daily and most times were her only source of conversation. Beorhthelm saw her regularly, however since the birth of her daughter it was less frequent. She had not been permitted to see any of her other children and Rædwald had not stepped foot in the chambers. She had no news of the outside world. Only rumors and bits and pieces of information she garnered off her attendants.

The door opened. Crístina swallowed and her stomach churned from nerves. Her eldest child Eadweard entered the chambers. Her first born son was no longer a child. Before her stood a man. A man who someday would be king of the most powerful kingdom in Britain and Ireland.

Crístina smiled and walked over to her son. He remained still as if he was a stone statue. She hugged him and gave him a mother’s kiss on the cheek. The prince did react or move. He looked out the window. Disappointed Crístina backed away.

Looking at her son she said, “I am glad you are here.”

Without looking at her Eadweard answered, “You requested to see me, and I am here.”

Trying to stay joyful Crístina said, “Your wife did not accompany you. I had hoped to meet her. I have not seen Sarrazine in many years. Not since the betrothal ceremony.”

Showing no emotions Eadweard replied, “See is preparing for the trip.”

Surprised by the news of a trip Crístina asked, “A trip? You were only married a few days ago." Where would she be going?” Crístina felt a stab to her heart recalling that she had not been permitted to attend the wedding.

HvL5O7L.png
TSBHBR7.png

Eadweard responded drily, “We are traveling to Bamborg.”

Her spirits sinking some at the thought of her son moving, Crístina asked, “Northumberland, why?”

Proudly Eadweard answered, “The king has appointed me Count of Northumberland and Jarl of Northumberland,”

Full of pride Crístina said, “Congratulations.”

Again, emotionlessly Eadweard replied, “Thank you.”

Desperate to keep the conversation going and thusly keeping her son with her, Crístina asked, “What of your brother and sister?”

Eadweard had decided he would answer any questions about his siblings but before he realized he spoke, “Eilif and Ælfthryth have contracted camp fever.”

Terror filled Crístina’s face and she let out an audible cry.

Seeing her dismay, a crack developed in Eadweard’s persona. While he hated her and wanted her to suffer this was different. Watching a mother suffering because her children were in danger was not what he had prepared for. “Beorhthelm is treating them and he says their cases are not serious and they will survive.”

jWbkXnT.png
2tE5YHM.png

Some relief came to her and she asked, “What of Sigeberht?”

Eadweard shifted his weight, “He is well.”

Noticing Eadweard discomfort Crístina offered, “Sit please.”

At first, he was going to refuse but the stiffness and pain from standing rigid for too long was annoying him. He sat on the stool she indicated.

Crístina sat and asked, “What of the Bavaria princess? Did they get betrothed?”

Eadweard placed his hands in his lap and replied, “Yes Princess Richenza of Bavaria, daughter of King Hermann of Bavaria, and he were betrothed four months ago.”

vQH5iTq.png
511PPuy.png

Crístina sighed, another event she had not been allowed to attend.

Holding back her tears she said, “What of the king’s sister Bodil has a new husband been found for her?

Eadweard nodded, “She is betrothed to King Gargamel of Aquitaine.”

GkPIg6y.png
Vsk1Aer.png

Crístina smiled, “That is good. She deserves to be married to a king.”

They fell silent and Eadweard was readying to stand. To stop him Crístina asked, “Now that you are Jarl of Northumberland will you being joining war?”

Eadweard shook his head, “No. Father has ordered the levies to return home.”

Shocked Crístina remarked, “He abandons King Uhtred and the Scottish?”

Eadweard smirked, “No. Since Jedburgh was taken it is only matter of time King Ælfgar surrenders.”

1NWiGU5.png

Confused Crístina asked, “What does the king play at?”

Eadweard laughed, “Why Ireland of course. It is time for him to press his claims for Dyflinn and Tuadhmhumhain.”

The news pained Crístina. Rædwald was no longer content with exacting tribute from the Irish now he wants to be their lord and master.

Before she could do anything Eadweard stood, “I must be leaving. I have been here too long.”

Crístina approached him to give him a hug but stopped seeing he would not return it.

“Why do you hate me?” she asked.

Eadweard chuckled, “You have to ask.” He glared at her and continued, “You betrayed father having the bastard of another man. Your broke your oaths and vows.”

JF2ZDG6.png

Crístina stepped away from him, “I made a mistake and am truly sorry for it.”

Eadweard stood firm, “I cannot forgive for what you have done to father.”

Crístina was on the verge of tears, “Do not punish me so. God has already punished me. My daughter Mauda with her deformities is punishment enough.”

EvW6zp5.png

Eadweard had heard the babe was ugly and he had no desire to see her. Before his mother insisted, he do so he began to turn.

Crístina reached out and grabbed his shoulder to stop him, “What of Rígán?”

Eadweard stopped and turned around. With venom in his voice he said, “You are unbelievable. You ask for forgiveness and for me not to hate you and then you ask about your lover. Makes me believe you care for him more than your husband and your children.”

Crístina realized her mistake and sobbed.

Eadweard on the other hand smiled at her devilishly, “He is well.” Eadweard could see the sigh of relief come across her even though she tried to hide it. “He was brought to father by Ealdmund. Father intended to throw him in the dungeons but after speaking with him and doing some thinking father figured out a better place for him.”

Crístina could not resist, “Where?”

Eadweard smiled broadly, “The Kingdom of Mide.”

Crístina said, “I do not understand.”

Eadweard laughed, “He is regent.”

Crístina gasped.

Eadweard gloated, “See father discovered he cared for power more than anything else including you. As regent he has that power and father has someone who is very thankful for his good fortune.”

Crístina stood silent with her mouth open. Eadweard turned and marched out of the chambers. Once the door slammed shut Crístina fell to her knees crying uncontrollably.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well that was an interesting turn in these last few chapters! An unfortunate situation for Cristina... but not that surprising. Given Raedwald's prior behavior that might count as a light punishment... though sticking her lover up as regent is a surprisingly subtle insult from the normally blunt king.

Also from a few chapters back, am I reading that right and Raedwald is seeing people that aren't there?

Reactions:
Another good and interesting chapter. I feel sad for poor Cristina:( she cant joining marriage of Eadward and Sarrazine all happens as she betrays her ill husband because she must please her carnal pleasure, give birth to a deformed girl is clearly as she was punished by God for her sins. Rigan escape from dungeon and retreat to Mide for to be regent, a bastard Celt

Reactions:
That was cruel. Understandable perhaps, but still cruel.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well that was an interesting turn in these last few chapters! An unfortunate situation for Cristina... but not that surprising. Given Raedwald's prior behavior that might count as a light punishment... though sticking her lover up as regent is a surprisingly subtle insult from the normally blunt king.

Also from a few chapters back, am I reading that right and Raedwald is seeing people that aren't there?

Rædwald's madness is beginning to take different forms an is starting to affect how he deals with people and events. You will see more of this in coming chapters.

Another good and interesting chapter. I feel sad for poor Cristina:( she cant joining marriage of Eadward and Sarrazine all happens as she betrays her ill husband because she must please her carnal pleasure, give birth to a deformed girl is clearly as she was punished by God for her sins. Rigan escape from dungeon and retreat to Mide for to be regent, a bastard Celt

In both Rædwald and Eadweard's minds the queen has done an unforgivable action. Rædwald's action are being driven by his madness and Eadweard is the hurt son of a father he adores. Rædwald is all about control and placing the former lover as regent is just that. He controls the man who controls Mide.

That was cruel. Understandable perhaps, but still cruel.

Eadweard is following his father's example and is being just as hard on his mother as his father is. Eadweard will pay for his actions here at some ppint.

Next chapter should be up by the end of the weekend. In it there is a reconciliation and more war.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.18.3 - October 1023 Jorvik, Jorvik; Palace of Jorvik

October 1023
Jorvik, Jorvik
Palace of Jorvik

Putting aside his fears Prince Hlothere slowly entered the king’s study. He crossed the distance from the door into the center of the room. He found his brother the king standing behind the desk looking out the window with his back to the door. His hands were clasped behind his back.

Rædwald spoke without turning around, “You have finally returned.”

Hlothere replied, “Yes”

Still gazing out the window Rædwald asked, “For how long?”

Seeing the pitcher on the table by the wall Hlothere walked over to it. He poured himself some wine. Holding the goblet, he returned to standing before the desk, “For as long as I am needed.”

Rædwald turned to face his brother. Hlothere offered him the goblet. Rædwald took the goblet and nodded his thanks. “Get more wine and sit so we may talk as we once did.”

Hlothere returned to the table and poured more wine. With the goblet he sat in the chair before the desk. “what shall we talk of?”

Rædwald sipped some wine and replied, “Why have you returned?”

Hlothere took a long drink, “The kingdom needs me to do so. We must no longer be divided. Our enemies see our weakness and look for ways to take advantage of it.”

Rædwald smiled, “Is there more?”

Hlothere nodded, “I do it for mother. Our separation has broken her heart.”

Rædwald frowned, “She will be pleased. It will give her comfort for her time is short. Did you visit her?”

A lump formed in Hlothere’s throat, “I did. She appears to be very frail. At times I thought each cough would be her last.”

Rædwald looked away so Hlothere could not see the tears welling up in his eyes. “The consumption eats away at her body and what the consumption does not take the leprosy does.”

Hlothere took a long drink and said, “It may be a sin, but I pray for an end to her suffering.”

“The Lord cannot hold it against one for wishing the end to the suffering of one they love.,” replied Rædwald.

The two men sat in silence. Each lost in their own thoughts. Hlothere stood and retrieved the pitcher from the table. He came back to the deck and refilled both goblets. He placed the pitcher on the desk and returned to his seat.

Rædwald finally broke the silence, “How do I know you will be true?”

Hlothere looked at his brother with stern eyes, “I will never fully forgive you for Hjalmar, but I must place that aside. You need my help and I am still your brother.”

Rædwald smirked, “What happened to the brother who wished to replace me as king?”

Hlothere took a drink and replied, “I no longer desire that course of action.”

Rædwald raised his eyebrows, “What changed your mind?”

Hlothere sighed, “I was misled.”

Faking surprise as he knew the answer Rædwald asked,” Misled, how?”

Hlothere took a long drink, “You are not the only one who has a wife in name in only. Unlike your wife mine did not bed another man.”

Trying not to grin or chuckle Rædwald asked, “What did Tiburge do?”

Hlothere seemed uncomfortable but he knew he needed to get this off his chest as it was a major sore point in his relationship with his brother, “It goes back to the war with England over Wiltshire and the gold that was sent to hire mercenaries. As you are aware the gold never reached me. It reached Aberffraw just not me.”

With raised eyebrows Rædwald asked, “where did it go?”

Hlothere stood and walked to the tapestry on the wall that depicted the conversion of King Knut, “I was on campaign with the army in Wiltshire when it arrived. Since I was absent and Tiburge was regent it was given to her.” He took a drink, “I have long known she has expensive needs. I should have asked more questions when I returned and found the jewelry and fabrics. I took her word her father King Josselin of Burgundy had given them to her.”

He stared at the tapestry for a moment. “I trusted her, and she lied. My men suffered for it.”

Rædwald watched his brother, “Why did it harmed our friendship?”

Hlothere looked at the king and frowned, “when I began to question why no help came from you, she used the missing gold, as a way to drive a wedge between us. She had me believing that you had abandoned me. When Hjalmar was killed, she further corrupted my emotions making me think you were not fit to be king.”

Hlothere took another drink, “I did not like Hjalmar myself. We were constantly at odds all our lives. When he became Duke of Northumbria his attitude and actions toward you further increased that dislike. He should have never come between us.”

Rædwald stood up and maneuvered around the desk to his brother. He reached out and embraced his brother saying, “It is forgotten.” Hlothere returned the embrace. After a few moments the two separated and both stood looking at the tapestry.

“I remember the first time I saw this tapestry,” said Hlothere. It was during one of the few Yuletimes that we were allowed to visit. I don’t remember much about the visit except for this tapestry and how I thought it was funny that they made a tapestry of a man taking a bath.”

Rædwald chuckled along with his brother. “What I recall mostly is how everyone kept us away from Queen Elisabeth and the few times we did encounter her how she glared at us.”

Hlothere nodded, “Things were much better once father sent her to the convent.” Hlothere turned from the tapestry and looked at his brother and asked, “I never asked but why did you bring her back to court after you were crowned.”

Rædwald looked at Hlothere and shrugged his shoulders, “At first I wanted to gloat that I was king and had power over her and her offspring. As time went by, I felt sorry for her.”

Confused Hlothere asked, “Sorry for her?”

Rædwald nodded, “Yes. I realized father’s many indiscretions hurt her deeply for at one time she did truly love him.”

Hlothere felt sadness come over him, “Now she is gone.”

Rædwald nodded somberly, “She finally succumbed to the camp fever last month.”

nZtMrG1.png

The sound of Rædwald’s secretary entering caused the brothers to turn. The secretary bowed and said, “Please pardon the interruption. Jarl Emrys sent word that all are present.”

Rædwald nodded, “Thank you.” He turned to Hlothere, “Time for us to go.”

They followed the secretary out of the room.

A short time later Rædwald and Hlothere entered the library which was serving as sometimes did, the strategy room. All the Council was in attendance, Marshal Jarl Emrys, Chancellor Mayor Strula, Spymaster Jarl Ealdmund, and Court Chaplin Beorhthelm. In addition, several commanders were present such as Yngvar, Mayor Uhtræd, and Anlaufr.

On the table was a map of Ireland. Rædwald sat at the head of the table with Hlothere to his right and Emrys to his left. The other Counselors sat across from one another Strula next to Hlothere, Ealdmund next to Emrys, and Beorhthelm beside Ealdmund. The commanders filled in the remaining seats. Beorhthelm said a prayer asking for knowledge and guidance.

All eyes fell on the king. Rædwald spoke, “Now that King Ælfgar is all but defeated the Scottish no longer are desperate for our aid. It is now time for us to look toward strengthening our kingdom. On day my son will inherit Mide. While the Tarans are powerful they are but one county in a sea of enemies. We must make our presence in Ireland greater.”

PU3mgIi.png

Rædwald looked around the table. Everyone was nodding as he continued. “To those ends it is time to press our claims on Dyflinn and Tuadhmhumhain.”

A round of “here, here” erupted from the table. A few even pounded their fists on the table.

Rædwald smiled, “Not only will strengthen our kingdom we go in God’s name. Dyflinn is the last place in theses Isles where the old Norse gods are worshiped. We will bring Christianity to the pagans. In Tuadhmhumhain we will bring law and order to the chaos and lawlessness that runs rampant in the county since the English were driven out.”

More cheers and pounding of the table.

The king was feeling good, “In the morning riders will be dispatched ordering the raising of the levies throughout the kingdom. At court the declarations of war will be read.”

Loud cheers and pounding filled the room.

Rædwald nodded and said, “Now we will hear from our Marshal.”

The council went on for another hour. Emrys laid out the attack plan and where each levy was to go. Commanders were named. Ealdmund spoke of the strengths and weaknesses of their foes. A few questions were asked and answered. In the end Rædwald had the support he wanted.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Another good and interesting chapter:)

Reactions:
A touching and frank reconciliation. I liked it.

Reactions:
The brothers reunited. But for how long? Hlothere certainly could be of aid to Raedwald as his mind declines, and would be a valuable ally for the prince as well.

Reactions:

Glad you found it so.

A touching and frank reconciliation. I liked it.

It was time for the brothers to come back together.

The brothers reunited. But for how long? Hlothere certainly could be of aid to Raedwald as his mind declines, and would be a valuable ally for the prince as well.

Family is going to become important as you will see over the next few chapters. It will be a source of joy and sadness.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.18.4 - November 1023 Jorvik, Jorvik; Docks

November 1023
Jorvik, Jorvik
Docks

Even in the coach Hlothere could feel the biting cold wind as it blew off the water. Winter was coming quickly this year. The snow would soon be falling, and ice would overtake the rivers. There were concerns in some corners of the kingdom the early winter had prevented provisioning for the season from being completed. On the other hand, there was hope the cold would finally put an end to the camp fever still lingering in many places.

Chester and Westmorland had been hit particularly hard during the height of the illness. Many tons and villages were nearly deserted, and many crops were not harvested this past season. Starvation was a distinct possibility in those counties. Then there was the business in Cumberland with Count Eadwine over cannibalism. Glad it was no longer his concern, Hlothere, did pity Crown Prince Eadweard whose duty it was to address the issue.

hJzEQlb.png

Looking out of the window of the coach he watched the ship’s crew secure the ship to the dock. Once the captain was confidant all was properly done, he issued orders. The gang plank was thrown over the side of the ship and made secure. As it was being done Hlothere exited the coach. Pulling his furs tighter he and several guards walked to the bottom of the gangplank and waited.

They did wait long. A lady with several attendants in tow descended the gangplank. Nearing the bottom of the plank she smiled seeing who was greeting her. Her paced quicken. Reaching Hlothere the lady hugged him as he said, “Uncle Hlothere!”

Hlothere smiled as he returned the hug and then stepped back. He said, “Welcome home Princess Wulfwaru.”

3x7N8pu.png
kdbzu7k.png

Wulfwaru smiled, “It is so good to see you. I thought I would never see you here in Jorvik again. You and father have reconciled?”

Hlothere nodded, “Yes, we have. I will tell you the tale once we are out of this cold wind.”

Wulfwaru chuckled, “The excitement of the moment overcame me. Of course, let’s seek shelter.”

Hlothere chuckled, “This way,” he said as he directed her to the coach. “Your attendants will follow in the other coaches.”

A footman assisted Wulfwaru and Hlothere into the coach. Once in the coach Hlothere drew the shade and secured the cover that was meant to stop the cold. Hlothere swore it only directed the cold air to the floor of the coach. Hlothere and Wulfwaru bounced as the coach began to move.

Hlothere quickly told Wulfwaru how he and Rædwald came to reconcile. He told her of the betrayal of his wife and how it had further the rift between the brothers. When Hlothere had finished Wulfwaru leaned over and patted him on his hands that were clasped on his lap, “I am truly sorry to hear of Tiburge’s betrayal it must have hurt you deeply.”

She leaned back as Hlothere replied, “It has but I have learned to live with it. My hurt cannot come near the hurt you have suffered with the death of your husband.”

Wulfwaru looked away from Hlothere trying to hide the sadness in her face. “Being married just over a year and a half King Konrád and I were just beginning to know and understand one another. The court in Kalisz is full of back stabbers and vipers. There are plots and murders everywhere. I am amazed the Kingdom of Great Moravia is able to survive.”

Shocked Hlothere said, “I pray your husband was not a victim of one those plots.”

Wulfwaru looked back at Hlothere. He could see tears welling up in her eyes. “I and several members of the court believe he was.”

Intrigued Hlothere asked, “Why believe as you do?”

Wulfwaru sniffled and replied, “At first they said Konrád suffered from some type of food poisoning. A few members of court and a couple of vassals tried to accuse me of me killing him.”

18ofBOP.png

Shocked Hlothere said, “Oh my. Not a good place to be in.”

Wulfwaru nodded, “To say I was frightened for my life was an understatement. Finally, when they could not build a case against me, they changed the cause of death to a disagreeable meal.”

Hlothere chuckled, “Do you know why someone who kill the king?”

Wulfwaru again nodded, “many in court including myself think it was either his brother Bohuslav or one of his brother’s supporters.”

Obviously sad and angry Wulfwaru replied, “During Konrád’s regency the Law of Succession was changed to Agnatic Gavelkind from elective. Bohuslav became heir and inherited upon Konrád’s death.”

Hlothere asked, “Why Bohuslav?”

Wulfwaru smirked, “He is both weak in the body and in his mind. He can be controlled. Konrád was stronger and he had me. Many in the court disliked me. They felt I would be able to make Konrád a strong king who would curtail much of what the nobility has been able to get away with in Great Moravia.”

Hlothere shook his head, “That is why you have been sent away from court there.”

Wulfwaru nodded sadly, “Yes. They feared me and what I could do to them.”

They were silent for a moment and then Hlothere said, “You missed Judith by a few days.”

Wulfwaru looked at her uncle, “Why was she here?”

Realizing that Wulfwaru did not know of the current events in Jorvik Hlothere replied, “She brought her daughter Wulfrun to take her oaths and swear fidelity to the king as Countess of Leicester.”

ECB15TF.png

Surprised Wulfwaru said, “The little girl, what is she three, four years old? Is now Countess of Leicester. What befell Count Harold?”

Hlothere peeked out the window to see how close they were to the palace and returned his gaze to his niece, “Four, Wulfrun is four.”

Wulfwaru nodded.

Hlothere continued, “Harold was found dead one morning. It is said he died of depression.”

3HcBeT7.png

Wulfwaru cocked her head, “Depression? What was he depressed over?”

Hlothere sighed, “He was the last male of the House of Atra. They say he fell into a deeper and deeper depression and he would not eat for days. All because he was not able to produce a male heir to continue the line. The House of Atra now ends with Wulfrun.”

Wulfwaru shook her head, “Such a shame. I guess my brother was delighted. I am sure dealing with my brother also contributed to his depression.”

Hlothere hated to admit, “Harold was a troublesome vassal and now was no more.”

Wulfwaru smirked, “No more problems from Leicester for a long while to come.”

Hlothere frowned, “I wish it was so. There is still the matter of the Eastern Orthodox faith that Harold left behind.”

Wulfwaru seemed disgusted, “That is a matter for the priests and bishops. It should not involve the crown.”

Hlothere rubbed his chin, “I wish it were so easy.”

Wulfwaru shook her head, “Tell my father to issue a decree. He is good at that.”

Hlothere could still sense that there was the deep-down bitterness that Wulfwaru had for father going back to when she was a little girl and got punished several times for reading her father’s correspondence. He let the subject drop. What came next was the topic he dreaded ever since Wulfwaru stepped off the ship.

Wulfwaru said, “We have spoke of many things but the one topic you have not broached is my mother. How does she fare?”

Timidly Hlothere responded, “She is well.”

Wulfwaru was now on guard, “Is she here in Jorvik?”

Hlothere took a deep breath, “Yes”

Short answers mean problems, thought Wulfwaru. “Can I see her?”

Still hoping to avoid the subject Hlothere responded, “I am sure that it can be arranged.”

Wulfwaru chuckled, “Arranged? What is she locked in the tower?”

Seeing Hlothere’s expression Wulfwaru’s demeanor changed and her voice became louder, “She is locked in the tower. Why? What warrants such treatment?”

Hlothere remained quiet.

Growing annoyed Wulfwaru demanded, “Well”

Hlothere swallowed, “She had a child by a man other than your father.”

Wulfwaru closed her eyes and tilted her head back. When she opened her eyes, she was looking at the ceiling of the coach. She slowly brought her head down and fixed her gaze upon her uncle. “Who is the father?”

Still unsure of how Wulfwaru was taking this Hlothere slowly answered, “Rígán, Marshal of Mide.”

Wulfwaru shook her head, “I surmise my father did not take being made a cuckold well.”

Hlothere shook his head, “No he did not.”

Wulfwaru pulled the blind back and looked out, “My mother to the tower. When was Rígán executed?”

Hlothere grinned, “He was not.”

Surprised Wulfwaru asked, “He was not. What happened to him?”

Hlothere looked at Wulfwaru, “He was made Regent of Mide.”

Wulfwaru raised her eyebrows, “Regent? How?”

Hlothere smirked, “Your father made sure he was appointed. That way your father has someone as regent he can control.”

Wulfwaru stared off and not expecting an answer asked, “Why would mother bed another man?”

When Hlothere answered Wulfwaru was surprised, “Your father has cancer.” Hesitantly Hlothere continued, “If affects him.”

Sadden Wulfwaru understood and nodded.

The carriage came to a halt and the door opened. A guard held his hand for Wulfwaru who took it. He aided her out of the carriage. Once Hlothere was out they walked through a line of guards and up the stairs and into the keep.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Behind the affectionate conversation there are glimpses of the darker heritage the two share, that becomes more revealed the further on we go. Nice piece of writing.

Reactions:

Reactions:
Wulfwaru seems confident and opinionated. If she does remain in Jorvik, she could be an interesting player, and her conversations with Raedwald could be very interesting to read. (though, given her age, I have my doubts we'll be seeing her long - she'll probably be shipped out to marry again)

Reactions:
Behind the affectionate conversation there are glimpses of the darker heritage the two share, that becomes more revealed the further on we go. Nice piece of writing.

Wulfwaru and her father have been at odds many times. Thiers has been a hate love hate relationship. Now that she has been away and a queen her perspective has changed on many things. Even though Hlothere and Rædwald have reconciled there is still deep down mistrust.

Thanks!

Wulfwaru seems confident and opinionated. If she does remain in Jorvik, she could be an interesting player, and her conversations with Raedwald could be very interesting to read. (though, given her age, I have my doubts we'll be seeing her long - she'll probably be shipped out to marry again)

Being a queen even for a short time has changed her from the little girl to the strong confident woman who now feels she is on par somewhat with her father. In the past she has not gotten along with Rædwald and those feelings are still there. Additionally she and her brother Eadweard the future king do not get along. You are right Wulfwaru will not be in Jorvik long but her time there will change the kingdom.

Next Chapter will be up tomorrow. We have the wars with Dyflinn and Tuadhmhumhain going on. There is a event that will set the kingdom on its head in this next chapter. It is something that has been coming for awhile.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.19.1 - March 1024 Dyflinn, Dyflinn
Chapter 7.19

March 1024
Dyflinn, Dyflinn

The room was dark except for the dim light from the dying fire in the hearth. Rædwald awoke with a start. He had a dark feeling he was not alone. He rolled to his side and let his eyes adjust to the light. In the chair by his bed sat his cat staring at him. He smiled and rolled back over and closed his eyes and began to drift off.

Suddenly his eyes opened wide and rolled back over kicking the covers off. He quickly rose and sat on the side of the bed. He looked at the cat again and rubbed his eyes. Once his vision cleared, he stared again at the cat.

In an unsure voice he said, “What are you doing here. You are dead.”

The cat smiled. Yes, it actually smiled. Then meowed, “Yes I am.”

SmxT76R.png

Rædwald nearly jumped out if skin. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes again. “What the devil?’

The cat looked at him and responded, “Not the devil. Just I, the one creature who loved you unconditionally just as you loved me.”

Still confused Rædwald said, “I do not believe. I cannot see you clearly.”

The cat purred and actually clapped his front paws. The room was suddenly filled with light blinding Rædwald momentarily. When his vision returned Rædwald looked at the cat and thought someone was playing a prank as there sat a man in what must be a cat costume. Rædwald examined the catman carefully and to his horror realized it was not a costume but actually a man-sized cat.

Rædwald swallowed the lump in his throat and asked, “Why?”

The cat licked it paw and replied, “As I did in life, I am here to comfort you.”

Rædwald stuttered, “Comfort me?”

The cat used the wet paw to clean his head behind his one ear, “Yes you have been worried over these Irish wars.”

Confused Rædwald said, “Why would I be worried? We have brought Chief Snorri to his knees in less than five months. Tomorrow he surrenders.”

The cat started licking its other paw, “But did you do it? Or did others do it?”

Rædwald narrowed his eyes and replied, “It matters not.”

The cat paused from licking its paw and looked at the king, “It matters to you. The Scottish Earl Stephan of Tyrconnell led an army of levies from Scotland, Connachta, Tír Eoghain, and Ulaidh to victory over Chief Snorri at Ath Cliath. It troubles you no levies from Jorvik were present.”

9vX4JUd.png
Kek7wGt.png

6LRhsXs.png
7vltrat.png

Silently Rædwald stared hard at the cat who appeared to be enjoying this. The cat continued, “After the siege of the Dyflinn Tribe was laid down did the levies of Jorvik and Mide join. Command, however, fell to Mayor Ríán of Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe, a commander from Connachta, not Jorvik.”

3uJ3DWI.png

Annoyed Rædwald responded, “You twist things. I have always used the best commander to lead.”

The cat now resumed its grooming, “That is what you tell yourself, but it was Ríán who conquered the Dyflinn Tribe and crushed Snorri’s army at Thirlestane’ It is Ríán who brought you your victory here.”

MzlCKA4.png
2uUSjSC.png

Anger building Rædwald snarled, “Why do you torment me?”

Using its paw to clean its other ear the cat responded, “I am your loving cat. I am not tormenting you. I only speak the truth, so you may find peace.”

With his face reddening Rædwald responded, “Truth is that what you call it?”

The cat knew to change topics, “Why were you not by your mother Eadhild when she died?”

asQB3PL.png

Rædwald’s mood changed and he looked down at the floor.

The cat smirked, “Was it because you could not look upon the deformed creature the leprosy had made of her before it took her life?”

With tears in his eyes Rædwald looked up, “That thing was not my mother.”

The cat chuckled, “She died alone wondering where you had gone.”

Rædwald stood up and was raised his arm to strike the cat. The cat hissed showing his fangs and claws. Realizing he would be torn to shreds Rædwald staggered back to the bed. He did not sit but leaned with one hand on the bed.

The cat returned to its peaceful manner, “Some deaths, however, are good for the kingdom such as the murder of the French King Nicolas II. Now his young son who has seen only three winters rules as Nicolas III. His regents see no purpose in antagonizing Rome and have ended the anti-papacy of Stephanus V.”

pWkb9md.png

tqVntbi.png
PG1u1sH.png

Rædwald removed his hand from the bed and stood straight. He adjusted his bed clothing and said, “Now maybe France will look more favorable upon us again as they did when Renaud was king.”

The cat nodded and smiled, “What of little Count Wulfstan of Dunholm. The poor boy of nine was taken by the camp fever. Now his sister Mildrith is Countess of Gloucester and Dunholm.”

Dh5zrNY.png

6AonXFm.png

With no emotion Rædwald replied, “That is an issue for Hlothere and Eadweard to work out.”

The cat shook his head rapidly several times and said, “Will the new Chief of Ulaidh Ólchobar be a good and loyal lord like his father Eláir was before he died attending to chamber business?”

iDdvUQt.png

lpakEzI.png

Rædwald chuckled, “If he fails to do so he will face my wraith.”

The cat changed mood back to dark again, “Like your wife?”

Taking offense Rædwald replied, “She is lucky that I only locked her in the tower. She deserved much worse.”

The cat’s eyes narrowed, “Now she is sick with the flu and you abandon her.”

N4g5rvv.png

Defensively Rædwald responded, “I had Beorhthelm attend to her. I have shown her mercy.”

The cat growled, “You tell yourself such tales to comfort yourself from your sins.”

Getting angry again Rædwald asked, “Why do you torment and provoke me?”

With its voice changing the cat responded, “I am a cat and does a cat not play with his prey?”

Stunned Rædwald replied, “Prey?” To Rædwald’s horror the cat began to change. The fur disappeared, and the ears and face remolded itself. The tail was absorbed into its body. When Rædwald saw what the cat had become he screamed, “No, it can’t be.”

Hjalmar looked at his brother from the chair. His eyes were still the eyes of a cat. An evil smile came to his face. “Time to pay your debt.”

Rædwald noticed that his dagger was now in Hjalmar’s hand. With the speed and grace of a cat Hjalmar leapt from the chair. He was upon Rædwald in a flash. Rædwald tried to defend himself all the while screaming. He was losing and feel to his knees. Hjalmar kept slashing at him.

The door to the room exploded open and banged against the wall. With sword drawn Hlothere charged into the room and seeing the scene before him stopped cold. Rædwald knelt on the floor with slashes on his arms, chest, and face. His bed shirt has been slashed to rags. Most concerning was Rædwald held the dagger poised to plunge it into his chest.

Hlothere put his sword down and slowly moved toward his brother. Breathing heavily Rædwald looked at him with wide eyes full of terror. His lips quivered in fear. Hlothere reached him and slowly reached for the dagger. To the prince’s relief Rædwald did not move the dagger. In a quick motion Hlothere grabbed the bloody dagger out of his brother’s shaking hand.

Once the dagger was out of his hand Rædwald relaxed. He looked at Hlothere and said, “Thank God you came. Hjalmar was going to kill me, but you drove him away.” Rædwald then collapsed into his brother’s arms.

2LhZ0gn.png

Several hours later Hlothere and Beorhthelm stood outside the closed door of the room.

In a low voice Beorhthelm said, “I have dressed his wounds. None will take his life. I have given him something to make him sleep.”

Hlothere nodded, “That is good. What happened?”

Beorhthelm shrugged his shoulders, “I know not what. Perhaps all the pressure and burdens he bares as king caused a breaking of his mind. The madness has been with him for many, many years. Some would say it was only a matter of time before this happened.”

Concerned Hlothere asked, “Will he recover?”

Beorhthelm frowned. “It is too early to tell. He may or may not. I will not know for perhaps weeks or even months.”

Hlothere asked, “Tomorrow?”

Beorhthelm shook his head, “He will not be able to accept the surrender of Chief Snorri. You must do it for him.”

RVwIHwZ.png

Sighing Hlothere nodded, “Is there anything that we can do?”

Beorhthelm took a deep breath, “Make preparations to move him. He needs to be away from here. I would recommend Richmond. There he can rest away from court and its pressures and demands.”

Hlothere nodded, “It will be done.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
This moment has indeed been long coming. Nice way of combining various events

Reactions:
This moment has indeed been long coming. Nice way of combining various events

Thanks!

The madness is finally beginning to overtake the king. Question is how long he can maintain control of himself as well as the kingdom.

Reactions:
That cat was less murderous than most cats... ;)

Yeah, Raedwald's done and lost it. The only question is... will we see Glitterhoof??

Addendum: Wanted to say nice job - I fear writing a lunatic character, but you've done a fine job of it thus far

Reactions:
Raedwald lost his minds forever. Sorry for late comment but I was busy with reading Teutonic Knights and hardworking for my labour of love, a medieval novel

• 1Like
Reactions: