Which new pre-scripted leaders are worth using?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HFY

Field Marshal
28 Badges
May 15, 2016
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Ancient Space
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
I'm usually near or at leader cap when I get a pop-up for one of the new special pre-scripted ones.

So far I've used three and felt disappointed.

Anyone have opinions or pointers about which ones are worth the leader-shuffle micro?

I love the ones I have got so far. I just sack the oldest or worst scientist if one of the unique leaders arrive.

Edit: these are:
-Scary Military reptilian general woman
-Friendly Pacifist exploration woman
-Smelly Xenophobe toxoid factory master
-Wise Spiritualist guru mollusc

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think the paragons (not the legendary ones) are fairly weak in terms of “extra power.” They have a special trait and they all have 2 events which are alright early but weaker later. They are fun to get though. Borin is adorable.

But they can also be better than what you have at the time. The biggest downside to me is that you cannot use ascension paths on them, so the ones you get early probably won’t be around past mid game. (Rip Borin)

The legendary leaders are great obviously.

• 1Like
Reactions:
From what I've seen:
  • (speculation) Authoritarian general is a general and focused on Espionage. Just dead weight.
  • (speculation) Authoritarian governor looks great. He's an industrialist with the pioneer trait which makes mines good (aka, he resolves the nonsense clash where Industrialists get the worker destiny trait but don't get any of the worker veteran traits).
  • Egalitarian general is just a general with no bonuses outside of saving you a few invasion minerals. Also dead weight. Fired immediately after reading stats.
  • Egalitarian scientist is great. Just a solid councilor.
  • Haven't touched Materialists or Militarists, not sure what to think, not even going to speculate.
  • Both the pacifists are great because they give permanent modifiers (giving them empire wide effects even if not on the council). The admiral is good for a bit if you don't have any one with destiny traits to put in the defense position on the council, but eventually scales out and just becomes a sort of not-good councilor and not-good commander. The governor is just a great diplomacy councilor and does her job well forever (assuming trust/opinion is something you want).
  • Haven't touched spiritualists, same story as materialists/militarists.
  • Haven't seen the xenophile admiral yet.
  • Xenophile scientist is an explorer that arrives after you're done surveying everything. Just dead weight. Could be great if you could get her earlier, though. Lacking Meticulous makes it hard sell, however.
  • Xenophobe general was great in 3.8.2, not sure about now. If you aren't cheesing sprawl, I think he's still probably good, if only because it lets you get a research/economic bonus in your Minister of Defense position.
  • (speculation) Xenophobe governor looks good for the same reason that the Authoritarian governor is good: a (destiny) trait which was put in the wrong class corrected by this one governor. You want an Industrialist for your ecumenopolis, and Galvanizer is good on huge worlds, but Galvanizer is usually Visionary only (so it's stuck on governors without useful planet buffing traits). This guy lets you have the alloy bonuses you want along with Galvanizer.

Reactions:
  • (speculation) Authoritarian general is a general and focused on Espionage. Just dead weight.
  • (speculation) Authoritarian governor looks great. He's an industrialist with the pioneer trait which makes mines good (aka, he resolves the nonsense clash where Industrialists get the worker destiny trait but don't get any of the worker veteran traits).

These are two of the scripted leaders I've seen so far and IMHO both were useless. (Agree about the general.)

Maybe the governor would have been better if I'd been using slaves, but slaves seemed like a bad idea on every other planet, and I've got no way to enslave pops on only one colony. If it was a sector or even a system bonus then my opinion might be different, but a low +% to one worker type just feels like a waste.... even though I had a planet with 27 mine districts on it (thank you Orbital Ring), he wasn't making enough difference to justify losing a science ship.

Maybe I should have enslaved a big population of primitives, kept them on their homeworld, and sent him to govern them? But then I'd need the ~20 natural mining districts to appear on a homeworld and that seems even less likely than the absurdly lucky planet I found that time.

Their usefulness is determined by your playstyle, as for example the authoritarian sleezeball one you used may be better suited for some players more than others.

However, some are useless or lose their use as the game progresses (the xenophile and spiritualist explorers), and some just won't fit certain builds (the reptilian general that the subreddit had a crush on).

For me, the ones that I liked the most were:
-the cyclops
-the nun
-the pirate
-the mystic

I've only tried half of them though. Basically, just look at their traits and don't hesitate to say no if you don't want to play to their specific strengths.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
These are two of the scripted leaders I've seen so far and IMHO both were useless. (Agree about the general.)

Maybe the governor would have been better if I'd been using slaves, but slaves seemed like a bad idea on every other planet, and I've got no way to enslave pops on only one colony. If it was a sector or even a system bonus then my opinion might be different, but a low +% to one worker type just feels like a waste.... even though I had a planet with 27 mine districts on it (thank you Orbital Ring), he wasn't making enough difference to justify losing a science ship.

Maybe I should have enslaved a big population of primitives, kept them on their homeworld, and sent him to govern them? But then I'd need the ~20 natural mining districts to appear on a homeworld and that seems even less likely than the absurdly lucky planet I found that time.
If you already had orbital rings with mineral boosts, that's why the governor was useless to you, I think. +85% minerals from jobs is amazing if you're relatively early in the tech tree and you're freeing up a large chunk of pops to do other things, but not much to write home about if you've already got all the boosting buildings and your days of being mineral bound are far behind you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've had the authoritorian governor on Ivusheh II, a planet with 6 (+1 per 4 jobs) scrap miners with a base output of 2 alloys, 1 eng research and regular miners with 2 minerals, 1 alloy and 1 eng research.

Getting an almost +100% boost to those guys was quite nice in the early midgame

• 1Like
Reactions: