When will Paradox start providing colorblindness support in its games?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nicolas-

Nc-Rm
32 Badges
Oct 24, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Rome Gold
EDIT: Sorry, this was meant for Paradox forums, not HOI4, please move it there if possible. Thank you.
-------
Being able to distinguish between colors is very important in Paradox strategy games, as sometimes for a colorblind person the game may become just unplayable.

It is not wise to expect modders to address this issue, especially in the case of Imperator where even graphic changes affect checksum (for understandable reasons).

So please moving forward, take into account that thousands of your customers are colorblind. And I'm sure that Paradox won't find it hard to add a setting that adjusts the game colors for that purpose.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Wow you really shouldn’t have been born colorblind then!!11!!11!

Just kidding!

I hope they add some different colorblind features, although I am certain the amount of colorblind gamers is small, it is most definitely a minority. Perhaps if the voice was loud enough to add different colors- they would. I do not see it coming in the foreseeable future though.

There are add-on mods for HOI to help with this issue.

EDIT: Sorry, this was meant for Paradox forums, not HOI4, please move it there if possible. Thank you.
-------
Being able to distinguish between colors is very important in Paradox strategy games, as sometimes for a colorblind person the game may become just unplayable.

It is not wise to expect modders to address this issue, especially in the case of Imperator where even graphic changes affect checksum (for understandable reasons).

So please moving forward, take into account that thousands of your customers are colorblind. And I'm sure that Paradox won't find it hard to add a setting that adjusts the game colors for that purpose.

Thank you.
This has been discussed before, and for HoI4 one workaround us colorblind players have discovered is to toggle to supply mapmode, which helps you see who is where. Not a panacea, but it helps a bit. You can also change colors of your division tiles, giving each army a color you can better distinguish. Sorry I don't have more. :(

Paradox mostly does not read the posts in their forum and nearly never on steam. Also not answer them. if they do not answer i would simply open a new one in the correct thread.

Good luck with it btw

Wow you really shouldn’t have been born colorblind then!!11!!11!

Just kidding!

I hope they add some different colorblind features, although I am certain the amount of colorblind gamers is small, it is most definitely a minority. Perhaps if the voice was loud enough to add different colors- they would. I do not see it coming in the foreseeable future though.
Well, obviously they're a minority - just like any other group of people with any given disability (maybe excluding lactose intolerance) :rolleyes:
That doesn't mean that noone should care, though...

This has been discussed before, and for HoI4 one workaround us colorblind players have discovered is to toggle to supply mapmode, which helps you see who is where. Not a panacea, but it helps a bit. You can also change colors of your division tiles, giving each army a color you can better distinguish. Sorry I don't have more. :(
I'm not sure which mods you already tried (I guess many) but even I as a normal seeing person use the Colorblidness mod which helps a lot. It doesn't change the colors on the map, though. But there are other mods which change the saturation of the colors so maybe (I don't know how you actually depict shapes of the colors you're blind to - different shades of grey?) they make it a bit easier to distinguish them by better depictable shades?
And I'm only talking about mods that don't affect the checksum in case that matters to you.

Oh I remember playing early versions of Victoria 2. Then you knew whether condition is fulfilled if it had a little green (*) near it or a little red (*). I never could new what's what.

Imagine playing anything CK2, EU4, HOI4, Stellaris e.t.c. with 25% (or more) of the information hidden or missing, that's what it's like for colourblind people.

What small 3 person indy games houses have no trouble doing, Paradox have never managed to work out.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/initiatives/ - zero support for colourblind gamers makes this page seem a bit hollow.

Last edited:

Plenty of games have colorblind support.

But I guess the focus is on outsourcing shady mobile PTW games instead adding QOL features at this point.