Whats up with the defeated Axis members mostly getting away with a slap on the wrist?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WSnova

Lt. General
78 Badges
Jun 12, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
As far as AI Peace deals go.

Germany most of the time seems to keep its early conquests, same with Italy. Hell, even you know who gets to stay in power in most of my off hand playthroughs.

Funnily enough France gets partitioned most of the time with the US occupying or puppeting southern France. I have seen the polish not even getting their western possessions back. Same with poor Yugoslavia.

Whats is the logic, shouldn´t the AI at least try to cut down to size the losers? Make them give back all conquered land? And if we are going to keep the whole unconditional surrender thing then the losing goverment should be removed.

And why is it scripted for Austria to join Germany of they are in the same faction? Thats just weird, liberating both as a puppet and then having your puppet eat your other puppet...

In my opinion the AI should prioritize getting cores-claims-liberating countries-puppetting/toppling goverment. And how is the partition of Germany supposed to work in game? I sometimes get 3 Germanies. Ai peace deals are just weird...

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's layers of code from different DLCs and updates, not quite working and playing well together.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Democratic Nations always try to release/change government of nations on winning a war. Most Axis nations don't have cores of other countries under them when losing. Vichy France on the Other hand....

If you play too well and don't get the Yalta conference then yea then yea a slap on the wrist it is.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If you liberate countries from a defeated nation, you can't take territory from them anymore, if I recall correctly. I don't think you can take territory from a nation you flip to democratic either, but I'm not 100% sure.

By comparison, you can still take territory from a nation that you've puppeted or released satellites from.

When the devs added in new tags for the regions of France, they forgot to add in peace conference logic saying “don’t release these” like they have with Yugoslavia. The result is partitioned France.

The next issue is released countries being absolutely weird (looking at you, Austria existing only in South Tirol). This is because countries don’t give land to other countries (except when they’re puppeting an existing nation) meaning if two nations have another nation’s cores split between them, only one of those nations is going to lose their cores. Coupled with the AI not giving away land to their non-puppets, the result is mangled nations not controlling all their cores.

The third issue is the US occupying enemy territory. Now this one is only conjecture, but I assume it’s because someone else releases or puppets a nation (let’s say Spain) but doesn’t have enough warscore to completely control it. So you’ve got this smaller version of a nation without all its land when the US comes in with its normally very large contribution to the war. This results in their allies getting shut out by having more war score, which mixes with the AI not giving other AI land to create the US occupying the cores of would-be friendly nations.

As for three Germanies popping up, I don’t have experience in the matter due to me making sure there aren’t three Germanies in the peace deal through force. If I had to make a guess, weird logic relating to Yalta (In fairly certain the USSR at least has special logic if Yalta has fired to not mess with West Germany) and the releasing of East and West Germany tricking the AI into thinking the Germans are gone.

All in all, I think Paradox could fix up the peace conferences to be more sensical with a bit of scripting, but maybe they’re changing peace deals with Barbarossa. One can hope, anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The problem with France I think is that the allies/ussr all treat Vichy France (and all their colonial possesions) as just another fascist nation, not a civil war tag, and so proceed to destroy it. This is compounded by another problem that AIs often don't want to take back even their own cores.

I've seen many times as USA that France (AI) gave away all their war score (as if they're satisfied and don't want anything else) and happily left the Alsace-Lorraine in german hands.

Why democratic USA often takes far away core territories is a mystery to me though, no one else (democratic) seems to do that.

The problem with France I think is that the allies/ussr all treat Vichy France (and all their colonial possesions) as just another fascist nation, not a civil war tag, and so proceed to destroy it. This is compounded by another problem that AIs often don't want to take back even their own cores.

I've seen many times as USA that France (AI) gave away all their war score (as if they're satisfied and don't want anything else) and happily left the Alsace-Lorraine in german hands.

Why democratic USA often takes far away core territories is a mystery to me though, no one else (democratic) seems to do that.
Democratic UK also does that sometimes. As demonstrated by my Chinese candy cane here.

China Candy Cane V1.png

• 2Haha
Reactions: