What's the correct way to integrate your new lands and avoid low provincial loyalty?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was thinking more in the direction of how often does it happen. Is family head cash important, does the number of holdings held influence, for example, on frequency of building, etc.
It's a scheme they can do when they have the money, if you pin them you can see what they get up to and how frequently they're doing it; holdings give money so if you're giving them holdings it's easier for them to build more with their money.

Reactions:
I'm happy to have read this thread, I just learned that NPC can develop their land!
I never gave anything to characters because I'm a controlfreak and it seemed bad longterm to give more power to potentially unloyal factions

Reactions:
I'm happy to have read this thread, I just learned that NPC can develop their land!
I never gave anything to characters because I'm a controlfreak and it seemed bad longterm to give more power to potentially unloyal factions
Well, neither do i despite it's benefits :D

While it's not really feasible in such case, even with large realm my goal is to have my ruler own it all.

But i at least try to strip them of cities and leave with some poor rural bumfuck nowhere.

But goving out holdings is very powerful tool for avoiding civil wars, so i do use ot for that purpose. Here, have this oasis with two camels and three palm trees in the middle of Arabian desert, i hope you love me now :D and don't forget to invest in it so i can sell that building for quick cash!

(Btw, wth thought it's good idea to wipe out provincial investments and territorial modifiers in civil wars... Arguably the later should stay even on country change)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Keep in mind, though, that it costs money to pass out holdings, so it isn't that useful to foster development.

Reactions:
Another tip:
Building all those buildings cost a ton of money, and you don’t always have all that money…

If you 100% annex a nation you get the “nobility of X” event. Take the imprison option. You’ll imprison a ton of characters, that you can then sell into slavery for about 10 ducats a character. That will fuel your infrastructure efforts.
YOU CAN SELL CHARACTERS?

Also what is anabasis and how do I use it?

Also I should be building forts? I've been deleting them all because they cost so much in upkeep. Am I supposed to balance this out?

Last edited:
Also I should be building forts? I've been deleting them all because they cost so much in upkeep. Am I supposed to balance this out?
Yes, definitely, keep some forts. The process of provincial loyalty is... complex, but in broad strokes here's the idea:
  1. Each pop has its happiness value. Below 50% (and I think scaling for how far below? This is where the Paradox Math starts), the pop generates unrest. Here's the calculation, but basically it's:
    1. 10 x (stratum political weight) x ((50-happiness)/50) / territory population
    2. In other words, 10, times how much the pop's unrest matters, times how unhappy (far below 50%) it is, divided by what fraction of the actual territory's population it represents
    3. Pop political weights are not on the wiki, but they're: nobles, 3; citizens, 1.5; freemen, 1; tribesmen, .75; slaves, .35
  2. Unrest is summed up per territory. Each fort point (that is, each point of fort infrastructure capacity, so lvl 1 forts count for 3) reduces unrest for every territory in the province by .25.
  3. Each territory modifies provincial loyalty monthly by:
    1. Unrest x -.08 x (territory population / province population)
    2. In other words, .08 per point of unrest, modified by what fraction of the province's population that territory represents
    3. If the territory has no unrest, it instead modifies loyalty by +.1 (again multiplied by the fraction of provincial population it represents)
In short, a level 1 fort on each province capital can wipe out the unrest of slightly grumpy pops, stabilizing loyalty in a lot of cases.

Reactions:
YOU CAN SELL CHARACTERS?

Also what is anabasis and how do I use it?

Yes you go to the character screen, checkmark the imprisoned, and own nation filters, then right click and sell them. You get Tyranny from it. But tyranny isn’t totally a bad thing.

Forts indirectly factor into the provincial loyalty, so yeah you can build them for that. But I build them for strategic purposes mostly. I put one down in every province capital, and port, then in choke points. You need to keep in mind that a province has what’s call fortification infrastructure. Thats a soft cap on how many forts you can build in a province. If you exceed the soft cap in a province, you pay extra for fort maintenance. So building them in every city for loyalty isn’t feasible IMO.

(In addition to point 2, don't overspend! Start your legion with cheap troops like light infantry, archers or light cavalry. Heavy troops require heavy infrastructure.)

Don't use legions at all until you can 1) finance it and 2) you have at least something like 50 units to put in it.

Don't use legions at all until you can 1) finance it and 2) you have at least something like 50 units to put in it.
Honestly that wouldn't be my recommendation. If you use a whole bunch of cheap units- chariots, light cavalry, light infantry, archers- and have buffs via your military traditions, legion merits and technology, and add an engineer or two, then you've basically made yourself a much stronger force that can conquer things for money to fund the expensive units with, and which can make wars a lot easier with cheap road networks, faster sieges, and burning manpower instead of pops. I think the mistake is trying to make a balanced legion composition first. One expensive unit is worth two or more cheap units, the unit width of an expensive half-a-legion makes them much less effective at quick victories than a cheap full legion, and a low base maintenance makes valuable abilities like building roads and reinforcing units into something much more expensive than it needs to be. Ten light cavalry and an engineer was a complete game-changer in my Aquitania game, for example.

Reactions:
Honestly that wouldn't be my recommendation. If you use a whole bunch of cheap units- chariots, light cavalry, light infantry, archers- and have buffs via your military traditions, legion merits and technology, and add an engineer or two, then you've basically made yourself a much stronger force that can conquer things for money to fund the expensive units with, and which can make wars a lot easier with cheap road networks, faster sieges, and burning manpower instead of pops. I think the mistake is trying to make a balanced legion composition first. One expensive unit is worth two or more cheap units, the unit width of an expensive half-a-legion makes them much less effective at quick victories than a cheap full legion, and a low base maintenance makes valuable abilities like building roads and reinforcing units into something much more expensive than it needs to be. Ten light cavalry and an engineer was a complete game-changer in my Aquitania game, for example.
Using cheap units is what levies already give you, with some better ones mixed in, depending on levy template. The only inherent advantages you have in legions are 1) Unit Composition (you can choos, not the levy template) and 2) Distinctions. I guess cheaper roads too (but that alone isn't worth rushing legions).

Until you can actually use legions with decent units (incl. financing) and have enough mil trads unlocked you should use levies. You simply have more units due to the various laws. Until you have stacked unit modifiers, the only things that matter are 1) general skill and 2) unit number. General stat boosts will affect all your units, incl. levies. You can hire a merc for the general or switch the governor for one with high martial. And levies simply provide *more* units. Rushing legions is not worth it, especially in sp.

Edit: also chariots are goodamn awful. if your levies are 80%+ chariots getting legions will be worth it for the simple fact that chariots are so damn bad. LI and LC are better, but usually can't compare to HI or HC.

So I've come upon a MAJOR piece of information that probably made my problems with unrest exponentially worse.

Like most people I play Imperator with a mod. In my case Terra Indomita. This mod includes A LOT of features of Invictus in it. Apparently one of the features of Invictus is that unhappy pops slow down religious and cultural conversion. Which explains a lot of why my conversion always seemed so slow.

So it's kind of a vicious cycle with that mod. Your pops are unhappy because they're the wrong culture and religion, but because they're unhappy it's harder to convert them, so they're unhappy because they're the wrong culture and religion.

I think it is kind of realistic but I think it's balanced for much better players than I am and applies better to dying empires rather than growing ones imo. I also feel there's not that many levers to pull on pop unhappiness. Trade and buildings kind of cap out eventually.

I'd give a lot to have a submod for Terra Indomita that removes this specific thing.

I have also started selling some of those jerk families as slaves. Very neat but hard to find feature. I'd love a "sell all into slavery" button.

Last edited:
Most of the replies have very good answers to deal with unrest, but they need time to work.

If you want a fast solution even in mods like Invictus, Age of Bronze, etc.. use taxes:

1711464550273.png

Invictus: lax taxes gives you +10,00% pop hapiness, very handy for an expanding empire

1711464583350.png

Invictus: Decreased Pay gives you +5% happiness for integrated culture. Use it while not at war if you do not have legions yet

1711464641283.png

Corruption is a real problem for unrest, pay more to get rid of it.

Governor Corruption affects your province loyalty directly, and will cost you money anyway:

1711464708170.png

1711464959172.png

Finally, War Exhaustion is great to acquire military experience points but it will affect your POPs happiness as well:

1711465094955.png

Invoke devokio to reduce War Exhaustion and increase Tyranny to reduce your Aggressive Expansion:

1711465244310.png

Your rulers are very important too, the game does not tell you but governors finesse and loyalty affect the governor policies and your ruler stats affect greatly your empire:

Look at these governors and the effect of their policies:

1711465675850.png
1711465687204.png

1711465702911.png
1711465722137.png

And your ruler specially want it with high zeal and low corruption

1711465984782.png
1711465992867.png

1711466006627.png
1711466000226.png

Also, remember that your officers work for you, sometimes it is better to call a governor with high statemanship to work in your goverment to get the most of its work. Do not use only characters to please scorned families or unexperienced characters, you are losing out greatly!!!

1711466696637.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
WHAT IS ANABASIS? New
Ok I keep trying to find out what this Anabasis thing is and I'm finding myself in circles with people referencing it but never explaining what it means in this game. When I search for it it actually brings me back to this thread.

What is Anabasis?

It's an ability done by your army if your monarch leads it

Anabasis Anabasis – The Leader.png ruler, as the commander of an army, goes on the tour of the local province, increasing Province loyalty province loyalty instantly by 5 and then by Province loyalty +0.25 for 2 years at the cost of Political influence.png 15 political influence. Only available to monarchies if the Leader.png ruler is commanding an army in the Province capital province capital, and can be done every 2 years per province.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm giving it another crack as rome. Playing in Terra Indomita so things might be different because this mod (though I think it's fair since most people play with this or invictus).

Where do I see how forts reduce unrest and ultimately increase loyalty? I can't actually find a place that says that. I'm just trying to pay close attention to the numbers right now.

I'm giving it another crack as rome. Playing in Terra Indomita so things might be different because this mod (though I think it's fair since most people play with this or invictus).

Where do I see how forts reduce unrest and ultimately increase loyalty? I can't actually find a place that says that. I'm just trying to pay close attention to the numbers right now.
Mouse over unrest and you'll see the reduction. It's -0.25 unrest per province fort point spent (so one fort is three points, and for six points you'll need two forts or one fort with three extra levels).

Reactions:
Mouse over unrest and you'll see the reduction. It's -0.25 unrest per province fort point spent (so one fort is three points, and for six points you'll need two forts or one fort with three extra levels).
Aha! Thank you! That's the info I was missing all along!

My play through is going A LOT smoother this time.

EDIT: I did it! Yes you need forts all over the place. They are actually the first thing to do. Made the game WAY easier.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Excellent thread. Thanks to all for the great advice.
What I've learned from all of this is that I was already doing at least some of what is needed to tame unruly provinces.
The other thing I've learned is that you have to be patient! :D

• 1Like
Reactions: