• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Humiliation and murder
Legendary Pheonx... Worrisome? You don't say x)

stnylan, appreciable jump in pop, sure. Security...

P016-01.jpg

The Bastion of Ganlarev: a fully fortified asteroid belt, defended by 24 peripheral fortresses, and enclosing three arsenal worlds.

From the memory pool of Elder Kalinda Poojary

A century ago, I had told my father that he would not live to see the coming darkness that would engulf the galaxy, a prospect that looked increasingly unlikely considering the leaps and bounds our technology and understanding of life have made. Our life expectancy nowadays is evaluated to at least reach two hundred and fifty years - a very theoretical upper limit that has not actually been tested. "Death by old age" has been something unknown for a century and a half; even the Mussid and the Ludivellans, the methane-based sapients we have uplifted, have reaped the benefits of our science and psionic powers and have become far longer lived than either species remembered.

All that progress had made me end up doubting my vision of my father being dead many years before the coming of the great darkness. But I had never envisioned that my own actions would place him on a path at the end of which he would give up his own life.

P016-02.jpg

Aggression? Since when? We're pacifists, you idiots!

The thunder struck on the 29th of July of 2333. The arrival of a precursor ship on Earth was nothing unknown. Sometimes the ancients came with an outlandish demand, like when our southern neighbors had wanted us to just give them the explorer Zeinab Salman, or when another precursor empire just demanded that we hand over a part of our population for "conservation purposes". At other times they came bearing gifts, like the custodian machines who provided us with a breakthrough serum to improve our health, and "rewarded" us for colonizing our second uninhabitable planet, Asimov, by handing over a treasure trove of knowledge that will considerably help our research. This time, the visitor came with a much less friendly message: we were told, in no uncertain terms, that we were about to be crushed and that there was nothing we could do about it.

To tell the truth, we were about to be crushed, and there was nothing we could do about it. Even with our recent rapid armament efforts and the technological leaps and bounds made in the twenty-two years since Onobanjo's demise, there just wasn't a way we would be able to match the immense fleets the Galaxy Array saw moving - two battlegroups of formidable power headed not even to our space, but to that of our hapless allies, who had honored the defensive pacts signed long ago with the United Worlds...

My father did the only thing he thought he could do: recall the Ganlarev ambassador and immediately accept their terms of surrender, which were to humiliate ourselves and proclaim our inferiority to the rest of the galaxy. Terms which were going to stick in our collective craws, on top of having to demilitarize down to levels the Ganlarev would tolerate us to keep, but the preservation of our allies was at that price, so my father went to the ambassador and told him, panting from the exertion of catching up with him, that the terms of surrender were accepted. What he didn't know was that some of the terms had been written in invisible ink...

P016-03.jpg

In a way, I am feeling responsible for my father's death... I played a part in the overthrow of Dikotsi Onobanjo, which led to his being chosen to rule the United Worlds and direct the construction of a fleet for them, which in turn led to... I'm not going to retell that story.

Obviously, in the light of what had happened, an emergency session of the Assembly of Elders was held to decide on a new course of action, after the catastrophic event which had just befallen us. I forced myself to attend - what was going to be discussed was just too important, and I refused to stay silent about the events surrounding my father's death.

The session was opened by a beautiful gesture from Giovanna Garibaldi. She's a terrifying political opponent, but an honorable woman nonetheless. Before giving the floor to any speaker, she proposed that my father be cleaned up, redressed, and placed in a suspended animation capsule next to Josephine, at the entrance of the compound, in homage for his giving his life to protect all of ours and all of our allies'. And I don't think I felt more overwhelmed with emotion in my life than when the old woman asked who, among the Assembly of Elders, would second the motion, and nearly two hundred heads, Human, Mussid and Ludivellan turned in my direction. I managed to choke out the words, then had to be excused, and old Giovanna suspended the session for fifteen minutes.

When the session resumed, the first person who spoke up was Dikotsi Onobanjo.

Every now and then, I remind myself that I hate that man. On this day, I did not need the reminder. My father's body wasn't even cold yet and there he was, spouting his party line about the need for complete disarmament, and even having the nerve to lecture us about how we'd brought the Ganlarev upon ourselves when we forgot that "there can be no peace when resources which ought to be devoted to economic reconstruction are to be diverted to an intensified competition in armaments" - his conclusion was that we had got what we had deserved, and we needed to disband all our fleets that very day.

I was sorely tempted to launch a psychic attack on him then and there, but it turned out there was very little need. All that old Onobanjo managed to achieve was turn the Assembly against him and cement us in the staunch affirmation that we would not disarm just because someone else had decided we did not have a right to bear arms against any perils the galaxy might throw at us - and clearly, the need the precursors felt to ensure they all kept nearly two hundred ships of war tends to point at their thinking there are threats lurking in this galaxy or beyond. And unlike the Ganlarev think, we are not one such threat. We could already have conquered half of the galaxy had we been one.

Remained the problem of what happens after the ten-year-truce with them expires. We might be stronger by then, but by no means are we going to be capable of fighting the Ganlarev on equal terms even then. We might have to accept another humiliation instead, and odds are whoever is the Chief Precentor who signs that next peace treaty will meet the same fate as my father. But we had to elect someone - Onobanjo wasted no time in applying for the top job again, and we couldn't let him win by default.

In the end, it was a quiet and unassuming Elder, who has been sitting on the council for ninety years, who offered herself. Yuan Zhang had been our very first Elder-Admiral, and she sorely regretted her inability to defend the fleet's assets under the Tories' long rule. She offered to take the charge of Chief Precentor on as a penance, and she was voted in office with an overwhelming majority. Her quiet resolve and acceptance of her fate have left a permanent mark upon many of our souls.

P016-04.jpg

Scientific Leap agenda, Scientific mind trait... I'll take that 15% research bonus, thank you!

As I dwell upon these events, I'm standing at the entrance of the Council Compound, facing the bodies of two great personages who got to guide the destinies of humankind. And I can't help but feel sad at the thought that in the end, I got another of my wishes: my father and Josephine are finally united.

Five years left to play in the 2330s bloc ^^

That is a rather sad reflection at the end there.

Fanatical puny-fiers
Sad indeed. And I'll admit I was a bit surprised at how that fell in place...

Nothing happened in the following five years, so if you feel like you've read this somewhere... :p

P017-01.jpg

Hey guys! Howdy?

Observations on registered vermin type #E4, designation: Humans (updated, 2340)

Biology: The human scum come from water-based mammalian stock. Natural reproduction mode is sexual and viviparous, but procreation seldom occurs naturally, as this type of vermin can barely stand the intimacy of another member of the species. Instead, these stains on the galaxy’s purity multiply via incubators, through a process of genetic recombination. Early-stage embryos are actually infected with parasitic worms omnipresent in this form of vermin.

Humans stand on average at a height of 1,65 meters, with the male slightly taller than the female. Both genders are often stooped and/or suffering from mismatched articulations. The vermin’s mode of locomotion is bipedal, and most individuals have two arms, though the presence of one, three or four isn’t unheard of. Skin is squishy and often oozes, colored in a range from angry red to dark blue, which can be altered through blood influx or reflux. Circulatory systems centralized on one heart; body temperature management is endothermic. One nose with one, two or three nostrils; six to ten eyes; two overlarge ears. Brain capacity of about 1350 cubic centimeters.

WARNING: species exhibit a wide range of paranormal abilities, present in all individuals. Origin of abilities registered as byproduct of parasitic symbiosis, retrovirally treated.

Observation: process has been refined and replicated for other inferior (non-Kaexiinite) lifeforms, designated Mussid and Ludivellan, with apparent success. This system of psionic modifications is another reason to declare war on them.

Government: The filthy humans present their political system as a dangerously democratic one, though in practice it’s barely more tolerable, its nature being oligarchic as the result of domination of their horrendous local political parties. Local communities elect a college of representatives proportionate to their population. Elected officials congregate in electoral assemblies, aggregating to roughly equivalent representation by population units. Electoral assemblies choose an Elder among them and send them to a central Assembly of Elders.

Executive head of state is co-opted by the Assembly of Elders and then legitimized by a mock referendum, holding the position designated as "Chief Precentor". Elections happen whenever the Ganlarev decide to kill the current Chief Precentor. Observation of the updated process still leads to conclusion the damnable human parasites are irredeemably corrupt.

P017-02.jpg

Oh.

Spread: Infestation concerns 17 inhabited worlds across 13 star systems, with two more worlds just terraformed inside the home system. Exploited territory encompasses over 60 registered star systems. Low population growth rates didn't impede accession to high population density. Total number of individuals largely more numerous than in our Empire. Infiltrators on primitive worlds seek to annex new species to further corrupt their gene pool.

In addition, parasitic species have constructed or reclaimed a fully operational science nexus, a planetary ring shipyard surrounding their homeworld, a fully operational galactic sensor array, a partial Dyson sphere (construction ongoing) and a massive asteroid industrial complex (expansion halted temporarily).

Military: Matching that of all non-precursor Empires on its own, but largely inferior to a single precursor Empire's. Fleet in constant expansion, with designs regularly updated. Would crush our fleet with minimal losses in a direct engagement. In addition, the disgusting humans performed necromancy on a massive space wyrm. Power of wyrm impossible to estimate.

P017-03.jpg

Rawr.

Communications expected to be established with all other star empires; confirmed defensive agreements with six other empires, three of which have vilely submitted to the "protection" of the loathsome humans.

Recommendation: wait until the Ganlarev wipe their fleets out and swiftly claim their juicy worlds for ours. Then exterminate them.

Economy : Highly regulated. Human vermin leaders don't trust human vermin commoners to make the right decisions and give all orders as to what is built, what is collected, what is traded, down to how many consumer goods each person gets access to. Vehement and stringent rejection of any notion of delegating the tasks of running sectors' economy to artificial intelligence assistance. Only one Mussid world granted semi-autonomy. Production levels estimated to be five times as high as ours.

Science : Their planets are covered in dark matter power plants and autonomous fabricators. Military technology will have completely overtaken us within a decade.

Final assessment: Conquer the scum. Exterminate the vermin. Purify their worlds. Take their riches for the High Executioner. Just don't make it a fair fight, that would end really badly for us.

P017-04.jpg

Had to chuckle at the updated information regarding the political succesion.

Is there a way for you to change your appearance ? because as you get more and more technologically advanced and once you research stuff like gene modding and tailoring and the such, you should be able to "cure" your people back to being normal humans, or at least like one of the more human looking races like the elf looking one or the Klingon one.

stnylan, it was just too tempting to pass up :D But guess who were the first Awakened Empire?

Werbecks, short of editing the savefile directly, I'm afraid the only way you're changing your species' appearance is by going synthetic :(

Werbecks, short of editing the savefile directly, I'm afraid the only way you're changing your species' appearance is by going synthetic :(

This is just gonna bug me for the rest of the AAR, isn't there a mod or cheat or anything to help ? It would just be awesome if at the height of their empire's strength they'd be able to revert back to being humans again, anyways keep up the great work man, this is one of my favourite reads for a while now.

If I can find the exact format I need to recompress the savefile into, I'll give it a try (I know what to edit, it's a recompression issue...) And thanks for the kind words!

EDIT - Come to think of it I might be able to trick the game by editing the 01_portraits_mammalian.txt file, I'll try that one...

EDIT2 - As it turns out, I can get it to work. Made myself a mod for it.

P017-05.jpg

Last edited:
ImEDIT2 - As it turns out, I can get it to work. Made myself a mod for it.

Hellz yeah, so does that mean we can see them officially "cured" soon? Anyways again man, great work, and it looks like the human military is expanding quickly now, would that attract unwanted attention ? Would their new found power (and hopefully new found cure) seduce them towards "the dark side" ? I hope we'll see soon.

We'll see if we get to that "happy end". Knowing myself I'd demand I get the 7 trait points to "legitimately" modify the Abomination trait out :p

But we're nowhere near there. Played a little this morning, and as I told stnylan, guess what Fallen Empire has awakened...

We'll see if we get to that "happy end". Knowing myself I'd demand I get the 7 trait points to "legitimately" modify the Abomination trait out :p

But we're nowhere near there. Played a little this morning, and as I told stnylan, guess what Fallen Empire has awakened...

Fallen Empires are jerks, I spend entire game harvesting relations and pacts with my neighbors just for one of them to "wake up" and drag the entire galaxy into a "world war" I win about 10% of those wars (I'm a fairly crappy player), while the remaining 90% end up with me either worming my way out of the war with my fleets and economy in ruins but my empire intact or with them taking over half my colonies and leaving me to spend the rest of the game lamenting my lost glory...pretty good material of you're writing an AAR, but horribly frustrating if you're trying to win a game :p

We are great
P018-02.jpg

The Sol system in 2350. In the forefront, the terraformed Mars and its equatorial ring shipyard.

State of the Union address, January 3rd, 2350

People of the United Worlds,

My fellow Humans,

Mussids, Ludivellans, Mondovaaks, Manaschoids, Athrams, Kaexiinites, Ganlarev, Asharrunanas, Peerians, Tlachmizimoxi,

Branbholans, Torjini, Frakoo, Atganbiran, Kwratese, and all citizens of our Protectorates,

And of course, all the refugees who found or seek solace on our worlds,

It is my great pleasure to open this year by the announcement we are now present in this galaxy not just as one of the younger races, but as peers to the Precursor empires themselves. Our technological advancement, our achievements, and the might of our fleets have earned us this right to be known as one of the great galactic powers.

It is, therefore, my great honor to announce that in the wake of the Great Awakening of the Ganlarev, the Elder races have convened in their Great Galactic Assembly. The Precursors discussed the situation that had arisen from the Ganlarev taking on an active role again in galactic affairs, and have concluded that it was in their own best interest to maintain the parity they had so far been holding. Let it be known that, as far as the Ancients are concerned, it is peace in our time.

And in that same session, it was decided that the United Worlds would be formally invited to become full-rights members of the Great Galactic Assembly. It is these crucial news I wish to impart upon all in attendance: we are to be acknowledged as the equals to the other Precursors, and even one small step above.

It was deemed necessary by the other Elder races that just as a system of checks and balances had needed to exist between themselves for the continued perpetuation of peace and order in the galaxy, a check needed to exist for the Bastion of Ganlarev's expanding might. And as it could not be one of them, the mandate to act as a check to the Bastion was unanimously extended to the United Worlds, and our peerage has been acknowledged by the Ganlarev themselves.

P018-01.jpg

Who was worried? I wasn't worried, I swear I wasn't!

However, our accession to the summit of the galactic stage must not blind us to our circumstances, nor should it make us forget our roots as one of the many younger species who made their own way to the stars. Let us always remember that it has only been one hundred and fifty years since the remnants of humanity gathered and decided to unite, and seek our path among the stars. Many among us Elders, and many among us who were born on Earth have lived long enough to remember mankind before the advent of faster-than-light travel, and Zeinab Salman's shattering announcement that she had discovered the first extraterrestrial lifeforms.

In this age of great turmoil, these are roots we can never forget, and least of all in the face of the Great Awakening. The upheavals and the terror borne from the stirring of the Ancients is self-evident. We have seen our worlds flooded by the many refugees who fled in fear as the great fleets of the Ganlarev began to encroach upon their territories. Let all who seek solace from the ever-encroaching threat of the would-be conquerors know that we, the United Worlds, are ready to offer sanctuary and protection.

P018-03.jpg

In total, there were seven such refugee events in 4 years, for a total of 45 pops.

And it is in this light that our efforts must now turn to the creation of great habitats and the terraforming of new worlds to settle, as our current capabilities to host new populations have been filled to the brim, and reforms will be undertaken so we can ensure equality between all our worlds, beyond the current scope of the Twelve Systems. If need be, we will gather the materials from within our borders and create entire new planets, as it is now in our capability to do. We will not stand in front of history to be judged as the ones who turned away those who looked to us for protection in the face of the oncoming storm.

This is the dawn of a new era, one in which mankind, with its friends and allies, takes the mantle of protecting all in this galaxy. It is a high ambition, but I am persuaded that if all of us unite our efforts and contribute towards this great task, the United Worlds and its citizens can succeed. And that is why, this year, I have only one demand to submit to all of you who listen, anywhere you are, any species you belong to: come, then. Let us go forward together with our united strength.

P018-04.jpg

Right now, this is basically as high as the population can get without resorting to sectors ^^ Still got a few growing pops, but once they're grown, that's it.

Also, the reason the number of techs exploded is because I've been simulating needing a little while to catch up on armaments research by systematically researching all techs from bottom costs up. Else with a little luck I could have gone from tier 1 (or 0!) to tier 5+ in less than 15 years, and it sounded a little silly...

1.8.2 is out and modders are going to be updating their content. This may make the game very unstable (trait definitions overhauled), we'll see if I can still play or if I have to wait until I can re-edit a full directory/the mods are updated).

I suppose refugees are also one way to enable greater user of any planets under your domain :)

The refugees filled up the newly settled Mars (size 13), Venus (size 16) and all the empty slots left on my other worlds in three years :p 45 free pops! :D

Started to build artificial worlds as well, and the first two were completed just before the end of the 2350-2360 session I played overnight (thanks insomnia...) I don't doubt they will fill up very quickly and efficiently...

That said, colonization "by humans" has stopped being an issue a while back. I can literally settle anything with them at this point, including methane and ammonia worlds; they just don't have max habitability.

I suppose the patch could count as the end-game crisis depending how the mods work out :p

We'll see :p The game loads correctly even with the still-outdated mods, all the traits and civics and ascension perks are still there for me, the client species still have their traits, so there's that. I'll likely bring back the 150-year crisis timer, that said.

Miles to go before we reach
P019-01.jpg

The First Battle of Sol: a short and extremely brutal engagement between the full might of the Bastion of Ganlarev and half of the United Worlds fleet.

From the memory pool of Elder Kalinda Poojary

Oh, how the mighty fall. In the space of three disastrous months, mankind discovered just how woefully unprepared we are for the full might of the precursors, and I am afraid we have entirely brought the catastrophe which befell us upon our own heads. And as often, the road to hell was paved with good intentions...

It all began during the wave of euphoria which seized the United Worlds after we were acknowledged as peers to the Ganlarev. We allowed ourselves to ignore the realities of our situation - namely, that our acknowledged counterparts were far mightier than we were - and in a grandiose and noble, but ultimately lethally dangerous gesture, the Assembly of Elders decided that we would guarantee each and every one of the younger races...

P019-02.jpg

The kind of blunder you make when it's 3AM, you're insomniac, you know it's a horrible idea and you do it anyway.

The dream was that since the Ganlarev now regarded us as peers, they would therefore cease their wars of aggression and leave the younger races alone. Unfortunately, the Ganlarev had different ideas...

P019-03.jpg

Wait a minute, they want EARTH???

The Ganlarev fleet, massed in its full strength, wasted no time jumping directly towards the Sol system. A half-hearted attempt was made by Admiral Sauer to try and delay the inevitable, but, and to our great shame, from the very beginning it was only about selling out the Cuglaran to preserve the heart of our strength. Earth is the one planet we could not give up without crippling the United Worlds, as all our administration is centered on it, and the Sol system's many megastructures are tied to it... So we surrendered, but not before paying a terrible price in blood.

Admiral Sauer did in fact make the attempt to delay the enemy fleet, and even got the jump on them and the first blood. But then the Ivory Lances of the Ganlarev began to talk, and the First Fleet started to melt like ice in the desert sun. A suspension of hostilities was negotiated just in time to prevent complete annihilation.

Needless to say, this showing of ours did not impress the Ganlarev. They have let known to all that they think we are, in the end, ultimately useless should a galactic threat appear...

P019-04.jpg

Grmblm...

Needless to say, the universal guarantees and defensive agreements were ended right after that. Ironically, the Cuglaran approached us with a petition to become a protectorate the instant they realized we'd sold them out. The worst part of that development is we accepted...

At least, in this dark hour, we found a surprisingly willing supporter: our northern neighbors, the pacifistic Geemish, offered to commit their own resources to supporting the construction of a Third Fleet, greatly improving the naval capabilities of the younger races. Thus the Guardian Union was formed.

P019-05.jpg

Nevertheless, we have been brought low and humiliated. And there might not be someone else to take the fall for us should the Ganlarev decide they want Earth's rich and powerful complexes after all...

Kinda got put on notice there... :p

Kinda.

P019-06.jpg

Sorta.

P019-07.jpg

:oops:

Last edited:
Ah. Things are starting to happen.