What type of vassal is the most usefull?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What about tribal’s? If you have enough prestige gain, they provide plenty of tax and levies and are op in tribal era and early Middle Ages era. Feudal is superior to clan because you don't have to care as much about their opinion. Republic does not matter because it only affects city baronies and Venice (for some reason' and theocratic has the same rules as feudal I believe.

Do you prefer feudal/clan, republic or, theocratic.
I prefer feudal vassals, because I can mold their contracts as I see fit over time. :)

Reactions:
What about tribal’s? If you have enough prestige gain, they provide plenty of tax and levies and are op in tribal era and early Middle Ages era. Feudal is superior to clan because you don't have to care as much about their opinion. Republic does not matter because it only affects city baronies and Venice (for some reason' and theocratic has the same rules as feudal I believe.
If you give a republic baron the county capital don't they stay republics?

Reactions:
If you give a republic baron the county capital don't they stay republics?

You can do that but at the moment there is no advantage in doing so except to give a republican vassal Venice which greatly adds to the development of northern Italy. The doges' palace becomes inactive if it is given to a clan or feudal vassal.

You can do that but at the moment there is no advantage in doing so except to give a republican vassal Venice which greatly adds to the development of northern Italy. The doges' palace becomes inactive if it is given to a clan or feudal vassal.
Wouldn't the benefit be that they give more money than a feudal vassal?

Wouldn't the benefit be that they give more money than a feudal vassal?

Not really. A republic vassal has the same tax rate as a feudal vassal at normal levels: 10% taxes and 20 % levies. But a feudal vassal can have his contract altered. . I nearly always use scuttage for my vassals simply because in high Middle Ages era MAA´s completely dominate levies and gold is more useful . Furthermore, feudal lords are affected by high and absolute crown authority. Also, the best way to develop your domain is using the coinage contract.

Republic vassals benefit is that they are incredibly stable ad don't have succession issues.

Lol
Not really. A republic vassal has the same tax rate as a feudal vassal at normal levels: 10% taxes and 20 % levies. But a feudal vassal can have his contract altered. . I nearly always use scuttage for my vassals simply because in high Middle Ages era MAA´s completely dominate levies and gold is more useful . Furthermore, feudal lords are affected by high and absolute crown authority. Also, the best way to develop your domain is using the coinage contract.

Republic vassals benefit is that they are incredibly stable ad don't have succession issues.
Oh, the wiki says 20 for tax and 10 for levies

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

TypeProsConsRating
FeudalIncredible amount of flexibility in the feudal contract. has unique rights and special contractsVery difficult to reach maximum vassal contribution. Feudal vassals tend not to contribute that much. Won't expand as fast as other vassal types.2/5 direct, 2/5 indirect
TribalAbsolutely absurd maximum contribution. 40/75, tho nerfed, is still an insane amount for those who can reach that level of fameWill not scale at all with era. Miserable base contribution (8/15). Poorer than other types4/5 direct, 1/5 indirect
ClanHappy clan vassals produce 25/60, Will expand your empire aggressivelyVery important to actually make them happy, opinion is finicky and unreliable. base opinion = -15 since you usually won't have alliances with them. Very unhappy clan vassals will give 0/03/5 direct, 1/5 indirect
TheocracyAbsolutely absurd maximum contribution, (55/50) will not join most factions, will not split on inheritance (pseudo-primo)Very difficult to create. Vulnerable to heresies. Any religion conversion whatsoever will turn them into a Feudal/Clan. Incompatible with lay clergy/Communion tenet5/5 direct, 2/5 indirect
RepublicStatic contribution (20/10), will not split on inheritance (pseudo-primo)Requires presence of cities to create2/5 direct, 2/5 indirect

• 1Like
Reactions:
Depends on the stage of the game (not Era)
At the very early stage I prefer those who reliably provide the most levies, e.g Tribal, Clan, Theocracies (if you play your cards right).
A bit later, before I get King-tier vassals, it depends whether I own Constantinople or not:
- if yes, then I don't care.
- if not, I go for the money, e.g. Theocracy, Republic, Feudal.
In the mid game, it depends if I have lay clergy doctrine or not:
- if yes, Feudal as they are flexible (Scutage + Max tax + Min levies if the vassal is rich; or March + Max levies + Min tax if poor).
- if not, Theocracy is a king.