• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've been playing almost exclusively the Pop Demand Mod since I discovered it, and recently switched to Blood And Iron for some variation.

Victoria 2's largest mods borrow heavily from each other, so it almost doesn't matter :) The biggest difference is modded vs vanilla.

Do you have the two DLCs? Most mods are only compatible if you have them.

With no Victoria icons showing, it's not clear which expansions you have (if any), so any advice may be inaccurate. Note that the earlier versions of at least one major V2 mod (PDM?) have been "lost", so you can only use that mod with the final Heat of Darkness expansion. As said, the various modders have gotten ideas from each other along the way, so there are a lot of similarities from one mod to the next, in some cases with variant sub-mods.

I do have both DLCs. I took a look at the wiki, and I can tell that the main mods have all borrowed from each other, but I am uncertain about how they overlap and which one (or ones, if they are compatible) I should go for.

I think it's fair to say that the "Big 3" are Historical Project Mod, Historical Flavor Mod and Blood & Iron. I've played a fair bit of BAI, some HPM and a little bit of HFM but played enough to point at some interesting things that separate them.
BAI: Instead of being able to take huge swathes of African land before the scramble for Africa you're limited to only demand an African port (meaning 1 province) which is fairly realistic for the time period.
HPM&HFM: You can't walk across the English channel anymore so UK will be a smaller factor in continental wars and there will be fewer situations where France fully occupies UK.
HFM: There is an option to enable "Splendid Isolation" for the AI UK which means that it will never ally itself with any great powers that aren't Portugal, Belgium, Japan and I think there was 1 more maybe Netherlands. If you are annoyed with the "unholy alliance" Prussia+UK this can make for a refreshing game. You can also enable railroaded colonization if you want less bordergore in Africa.
All in all they are quite similar to eachother but in terms of ranking them from the most freeform (vanilla vic2-esque experience with few restrictions on what the player can and cannot do) to the most railroaded (favoring scripted events and historical plausability) I'd say it goes something like this.
Vanilla Vic2>>> BAI > HPM >>> HFM

• 6Like
Reactions:
I'd recommend a number of mods to pick up but if you only want general improvements I would say get HPM, It primarily makes the game generally better in every way possible. Here is a list of a couple others
Complete Anarchy: Adds the Syndicalist ideology which is quite important to the time period
HFM: HPM but more improvments to the map.
PI: Literally a nation hellspawn, adds like 400+ nations

I've been playing almost exclusively the Pop Demand Mod since I discovered it, and recently switched to Blood And Iron for some variation.

Victoria 2's largest mods borrow heavily from each other, so it almost doesn't matter :) The biggest difference is modded vs vanilla.

Do you have the two DLCs? Most mods are only compatible if you have them.
hello, can you pass me the pop demand link?

I very much recommend the Minimalism Mod. It is still activly developed, and doesn't stay to far from Vanilla, but still improves the game by alot.
Can be found in the modding subforum.

Reactions:
HFM: There is an option to enable "Splendid Isolation" for the AI UK which means that it will never ally itself with any great powers that aren't Portugal, Belgium, Japan and I think there was 1 more maybe Netherlands.
I am not sure but I think ottomans were included as well.

I'd recommend a number of mods to pick up but if you only want general improvements I would say get HPM, It primarily makes the game generally better in every way possible. Here is a list of a couple others
Complete Anarchy: Adds the Syndicalist ideology which is quite important to the time period
HFM: HPM but more improvments to the map.
PI: Literally a nation hellspawn, adds like 400+ nations

Please, where I find the latest PI?