What is your opinion on the map expansion?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And you think these events are just executed by some kind of magic? Just because there is no MTTH doesn't mean that the replacement isn't going to negatively effect performance at some point.

The replacement is far faster. The game isnt running tens of thousands of unnecessary calculation every month. Its just that simple. Of course its not a magical system that will never slow down. Just that its much faster than CK2. If the early game of CK3 is far faster than CK2, then its not unreasonable to think late game CK3 is faster as well. More armies and more gold to build with still exists after all so that will obviously slow down the late game just like CK2.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Aight gentlemen,
  • Game IS far faster than CK2.
  • Adding new provinces WILL slow the game down.
  • They are going to, 100%, definitely positively adding new provinces.
I don't see a problem here? /thread? What are we even arguing about?

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I would like an expansion of the map. But it would need some presets. China would defenitely need the imperial bureaucracy first and I would also wait for proper nomads too. Probably also some updates with the regards of vassals, tributaries and protectorates for empires.

That said. It shouldn't be the first DLC in my mind. But I wouldn't be suprised if Paradox would go into this direction (But with China I would add whole of Indochina and probably some parts of Indonesia too).

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
In my opinion, they'll be adding China at some point. China played quite a large role in the period, only not physically. As this is alternate history, there's no reason that aspect of their involvement couldn't change. More importantly... There is almost no way the tearing on the right side of that map isn't deliberate.

• 1Like
Reactions:
heres the thing for all the people who complain about map expansions, etc

the game does have *one* hard limit, as far as scope goes, and thats that it covers the old-world exclusively. Now, the old world *did* interact, romans knew of the chinese, and chinese of the romans.

So, lets just get the expansion all the way to east-asia out of the way.

why? because then it ***cant get any bigger***; the map will be as big as it can ever be; which means any future expansions, in CK3 or 4 or beyond, will just be on making regions or mechanics more indepth/fleshed out/etc.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
heres the thing for all the people who complain about map expansions, etc

the game does have *one* hard limit, as far as scope goes, and thats that it covers the old-world exclusively. Now, the old world *did* interact, romans knew of the chinese, and chinese of the romans.

So, lets just get the expansion all the way to east-asia out of the way.

why? because then it ***cant get any bigger***; the map will be as big as it can ever be; which means any future expansions, in CK3 or 4 or beyond, will just be on making regions or mechanics more indepth/fleshed out/etc.
It's worth remembering that interactions and interactions modeled by CK are two very different things. CK generally doesn't model trade, exploration, the flow of ideas, etc. CK interactions generally come down to: conquering, raiding, imprisoning, murdering and seducing.

And while China interacted heavily with the steppes in this manner (generally being on the receiving end of all of these during the CK period) and Tibet, it didn't affect most of the rest of the map (outside of the Mongols of the Yuan Dynasty, who are their own thing and were only nominally in control of the Mongol forces actually invading the Middle East, Europe and India).

Reactions:
I'd recommend to restrain from "interaction" argument. It attracts vikingboos (khem, Vinland, khem)

Reactions:
Lol Austronesian migrations.
Chronological_dispersal_of_Austronesian_people_across_the_Pacific_%28per_Benton_et_al%2C_2012%2C_adapted_from_Bellwood%2C_2011%29.png
CK4: Vikings and Hawaiians fighting over America

• 8Love
  • 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't mind that,I'd love to play as the mayans or some other native culture.
In CK4, sure. As for CK3, I hope that old world + Greenland is hard limit :p If there's an expansion with playable adventurers though, option to make a Cree one and conquer Greenland or Iceland from the Vikings could be decent. I've written upon this idea in proposed DLCs thread:
It'd be decent for Iceland characters (or Greenland/Kamchatka if map is spread further west/east) to have more fun with Native Americans until the actual invasion. Maybe if you don't annoy Skrælings, you get, let's say, random Native courtiers popping up from time to time and possibility to open ahistorical trade routes boosting your income via buying cocoa and selling horses. On the other hand, if you act hostile, Cree or Haida adventurers could try to take your land.

If the map is spread south, same mechanics could be applied to some quasi-Zulu peoples for Zimbabwe or Swahili players. If it's spread southeast, Australian Aborigines and/or quasi-Maori for Indonesia players?

Reactions:
I Mean,if they added china they'd have to add SEA too,It'd be weird to see it be missing when India and China are in,and just adding Indochina without Indonesia would also be weird.
Though it may sound strange, I have to say that it may not be so hard to represent Indonesia. To be honest, islands east of Java Island isn't so necessary in the Middle Ages and we do not need to include all of them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bruh, the bigger the map, the better.
It's not about the size; it's about how you use it. :p

Currently, there seems to be quite a few areas of the map that could do with further fleshing out. After all, there isn't much point to having more map areas if they're just gonna play like a carbon-copy of feudal Europe.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I only want China if they make it interesting to interact with for neighboring realms. Not the CK2 version where you are either have minor flavor events along the silk road, or end-game doomstacks stomping some unfortunate soul in India/Persia like some sort of Aztecs of the East.

Reactions:
It's not about the size; it's about how you use it. :p

Currently, there seems to be quite a few areas of the map that could do with further fleshing out. After all, there isn't much point to having more map areas if they're just gonna play like a carbon-copy of feudal Europe.
True, but give pdx some time, they will flush out areas after the game is released.

Reactions:
I only want China if they make it interesting to interact with for neighboring realms. Not the CK2 version where you are either have minor flavor events along the silk road, or end-game doomstacks stomping some unfortunate soul in India/Persia like some sort of Aztecs of the East.
Yeah, Paradox's history with controlling blobs is not making me optimistic. In 867 the Tang should be on its last legs, only a few years away from a rebellion that sacks the capital and 40 years away from the final end of their dynasty. In 1066 the Song are in a somewhat better position, but are still one of the weakest of the major dynasties and less than a century away from losing their capital and the northern half of their empire.

And yet, given the experience of the 1066 Fatimids/Byzantines/HRE/Seljuks, the 867 Abbasids/Umayyads and various other blobs throughout CK2 that are supposed to be in a weak position and yet have no problems in-game, I'm skeptical that CK3 will be any different. Certainly EU4's Ming doesn't exactly inspire confidence in that respect.

Meanwhile, it's all very well to say "we'll have bureaucratic mechanics that will make China fun and interesting," but I've never heard a good, specific suggestion for how they would work (all too often it's just "we should have a bureaucratic system for empires like Byzantium or China," with no details and certainly no explanation for how to distinguish those two very different entities and the enormous differences between them, including in such simple, CK relevant matters as how they handled successions/coups).

Reactions:
Unpopular opinion: the map is, by now, too big for me. Somebody else said it too. I'll wait for mods that "eliminate" continents.

Now, shower me with Xs.

• 3Haha
Reactions: