What is this "has_overlords_ruler" line in the subjects file? and why is it always set to "no" on all of them? and what does it actually so?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CaptinObvious

Centurion
64 Badges
Sep 28, 2017
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • March of the Eagles
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
Was digging around in the files to balance the game to my liking, and while messing with subjects, I found this line on all of them:

has_overlords_ruler

and it was always set to

= no

what does it actually do? if I set it to yes will it work? will it cause a crash? will it collapse my PC into a black hole?

and if it is set to no everywhere then what's the point behind it? and what was the original intent? and why was it scraped?

It’s for a subject type that has the same character as ruler as it’s overlord.
This is not something we have wanted for any of our subject types now or in the past but it was at one point on a list of things we thought about.

Modders could in theory make a subject type with this turned on but I would not make any promises about how well it works. Since we don’t actually have any such subject types in the game, and never tried adding any, there’s no telling how well it actually works :)

It’s for a subject type that has the same character as ruler as it’s overlord.
This is not something we have wanted for any of our subject types now or in the past but it was at one point on a list of things we thought about.

Modders could in theory make a subject type with this turned on but I would not make any promises about how well it works. Since we don’t actually have any such subject types in the game, and never tried adding any, there’s no telling how well it actually works :)
dodged a bullet then.

so besides technically sharing the same character, there is nothing going on?