• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KDubya

Major
9 Badges
Nov 12, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
Over the last few years I've read lots of the BattleTech books, pretty much following the timeline listed in the stickie post; Grey Death Legion, Warrior, Blood of Kerensky, Jade Falcon, Twilight of the clans, and so on.

So I get to the end of "End Game" and there is not another book that continues the FedCom civil war and the battle between Katrina and Victor?

I just got two BattleTech books that were listed after "Endgame" - 'A Bonfire of Worlds" and "Embers of War". I started with Bonfire and its set after the Jihad, the Mongol Doctrine and has Katrina Steiner as an old lady with a clanner son Alaric with Vlad as the dad.

I can start to piece together what happened but are there really no books that cover the timeline between Endgame and Dark Age?

I can start to piece together what happened but are there really no books that cover the timeline between Endgame and Dark Age?
Nope. They pretty much just gave up on that timeline, and pushed Dark Age pretty hard. We're only very recently getting anything at all that isn't Dark Age.

Embers of War
Enjoyable standalone story, but with very little greater universe mentioned.

Nope. They pretty much just gave up on that timeline, and pushed Dark Age pretty hard. We're only very recently getting anything at all that isn't Dark Age.

Enjoyable standalone story, but with very little greater universe mentioned.

Thanks for the info. I find it odd that they just stopped, seems like there was a trilogy or three between the conclusion of the Fedcom civil war, the Jihad and the Mongol doctrine.

Yea, not many novels covering events in that 50+ years gap between where Endgame leaves off (3067) and Ghost War picks up (3132).

Embers of War
is 3066 and Bonfire of Worlds is 3139-3043. You might want to check out the new Forever Faithful as it technically stretches from 3060 to 3130. There is also the Legacy anthology (2779-3090) that follows a Grasshopper mech.

For novels, you also have Isle of the Blessed (3071-3073).

If you are OK with "novellas" and serial short stories, in around that time frame there is Trial under Fire (3060), Lion's Roar (3064), Red Khopesh (3066), Chaos Born (3066-3067), Chaos Formed (3067), The Nellus Academy Incident (3067), Edge of the Storm (3068), Operation Ice Storm parts 1 & 2 (3071-3072), Eclipse (3072), Ghost Bear's Lament part 2 (3073), A Splinter of Hope (3147-3148) and The Anvil (3148).

Plus ones during earlier eras: Betrayal of Ideals (2821-2840), Hector (3019), Sniper (3026-3027), Vengeance (3046) and Ghost Bear's Lament part 1 (3050).

Seems like there was a marketing decision made to make the official BT sourcebooks (of which there are many) the only way to tell any stories in the Jihad era, and that includes the Clan Homeworlds shenanigans (Wars of Reaving, et. al.).

for myself....the battletech novels end with 'Endgame'
i wish there was more to read between that and the jihad/darkages

@Nichino i really wish they would put those novellas and short stories into a collection/omnibus like most scifi does every so often.

for myself....the battletech novels end with 'Endgame'
i wish there was more to read between that and the jihad/darkages

@Nichino i really wish they would put those novellas and short stories into a collection/omnibus like most scifi does every so often.

Agreed. New work Forever Faithful is really oustanding, probably a top 5 BattleTech novel. Other than that, the Dark Age fiction is a bit of a step down, in my view. Endgame ends in 3067 with the end of the FedCom Civil War. I'd leave it at that.

There are 8 anthologies, but most are a scattering of eras mixed together. I'd prefer more of the stories being individually sold, like the ones I've listed, or sold in chronological anthologies rather than randomly bundled together.

Edit: The one exception is Onslaught: Tales from the Clan Invasion.

Last edited:
Seems like there was a marketing decision made to make the official BT sourcebooks (of which there are many) the only way to tell any stories in the Jihad era, and that includes the Clan Homeworlds shenanigans (Wars of Reaving, et. al.).
That doesn't begin to accurately describe the licensing mess after FASA withdrew in 2001 and BattleTech was split into MechWarrior: Dark Age (MWDA) and Classic BattleTech (CBT). Pushing the Jihad timeline ahead in sourcebook format (as opposed to novels) was born out of need, as the least-bad choice, more than it was a "marketing decision". It was sourcebooks or nothing. At least that's how I understand the situation (corrections welcome, if anyone has better information):

Roc Books, who had the novel rights, decided to terminate the classic novel line after Endgame. (It's probably worth mentioning that the next universe-shaking spine novel, Shadows of Faith, was already being written at the time so it may be assumed this was an unilateral decision by Roc.) From the context of how things played out, Roc then apparently sat on the novel rights doing nothing and thus effectively blocked novels for several years until their license ran out.

WizKids, who got the BT game license from FASA, opted to push the MWDA line really hard with a new MWDA novel line set in the distant future (3130+). Fans seem to agree that most of the early installments of that line were some of the worst BattleTech fiction ever published in an official capacity. They got their act together eventually, and after a rough start produced some really good books in the MWDA line. Until the print line stopped (again). A Bonfire of Worlds, the final MWDA novel, was in limbo for many years before it finally got an electronic release. The promised print release didn't happen.

Meanwhile FanPro, who got the CBT license from WizKids, weren't allowed to publish content beyond the year 3067 because WizKids feared they might create inconsistencies with their (WizKids') MWDA future. FanPro also continued to publish original BattleTech novels set primarily in the Star League and late Succession Wars eras. They had (or so I was told) something of a falling-out with IMR over wether they even had the rights to publish new original novels, and stopped in 2008.

Author Loren Coleman and others meanwhile created InMedaRes (IMR) and launched the BattleCorps subscription website, initially with a license to publish (only) official BattleTech short fiction of up to 40,000 words, but at some point the wordcount was apparently dropped.
IMR is also the parent company of the Catalyst Game Labs imprint who would later take over the full BattleTech license after FanPro's CBT license expired in 2007. By that time MWDA was dead or dying, and the BattleTech brand was reunited while CGL (staffed by essentially the same people who had previously worked on the MWDA timeline) began to expand "classic" BattleTech through the Jihad, so as to re-connect the timelines. They didn't have the print novel rights at that point though, only what BattleCorps had as a subsciption-based service, and thus was born the idea to tell the Jihad in a chaotic "as it happened" style through sourcebooks, complete with misinformation and shennanigans. I personally enjoyed it as a fresh approach, but many other fans apparently hated it.

CGL is now slowly crawling out of that hole again and tipping their toes in print and PoD novels, initially with standalone pieces, anthologies and successful BattleCorps novels. They are re-focusing on fiction, which is a very good move imho, and PoD may be the solution to some of the problems that hampered print novel production. Things are definitely getting better.

I really enjoyed the Jihad era sourcebooks. Since they are arranged as collections of in-universe documents rather than a single report, they feel much more like fiction anthologies and less like other battletech sourcebooks.

Author Loren Coleman and others meanwhile created InMedaRes (IMR) and launched the BattleCorps subscription website, initially with a license to publish (only) official BattleTech short fiction of up to 40,000 words, but at some point the wordcount was apparently dropped.
IMR is also the parent company of the Catalyst Game Labs imprint who would later take over the full BattleTech license after FanPro's CBT license expired in 2007. By that time MWDA was dead or dying, and the BattleTech brand was reunited while CGL (staffed by essentially the same people who had previously worked on the MWDA timeline) began to expand "classic" BattleTech through the Jihad, so as to re-connect the timelines. They didn't have the print novel rights at that point though, only what BattleCorps had as a subsciption-based service, and thus was born the idea to tell the Jihad in a chaotic "as it happened" style through sourcebooks, complete with misinformation and shennanigans. I personally enjoyed it as a fresh approach, but many other fans apparently hated it.

CGL is now slowly crawling out of that hole again and tipping their toes in print and PoD novels, initially with standalone pieces, anthologies and successful BattleCorps novels. They are re-focusing on fiction, which is a very good move imho, and PoD may be the solution to some of the problems that hampered print novel production. Things are definitely getting better.
Hey Frabby! You by chance hear any details about their plans? The bg.battletech.com pretty much just says the 6th anthology will be out for general sale, "Rogue Academy" is coming from Brozek and they plan to do more PoD for the "Legends" series. (The only ones I see missing from the Legends series, other than the Dark Age books, are The Sword and the Dagger, which may not be possible to rerelease, and they pulled Star Lord from online stores.) [I'm guessing Marvel came after them because of Guardians of the Galaxy and they didn't want to fight it out.]

I'm hoping for more BattleCorps fiction getting general release, other than those anthologies that basically just pull some by each year when things were being initially released (1=2004, 2=2005, 3=2006, 4=2007, 5=2008, 6=2009), as that leaves a lot left behind. Which means a lot of fiction is sitting and collecting dust that no one new can read. (That and/or translate the German novels.) New stuff is great too, but that's slower as it's a lot more work.

Edit: Is Pardoe still working on a Wolf's Dragoons novella and another unspecified novel? Stackpole still working on Kell Hounds Ascendant? :D

Last edited:
Sure would be nice if there was a definitive chronological list somewhere... thought I had one but after "Endgame" it's all over the map. Frustrating, and disappointing that there's a 50 year gap in the storyline. Bunch of characters I don;t know or care about; most of my favorites apparently died - "off-camera", so-to-speak; the map of the sphere is apparently unrecognizable... perhaps it's time to turn out the lights and go home. Dark Ages doesn't sound like much fun, anyway.

Sourcebooks? WTF is a Sourcebook?

This has turned into more work than it's worth. I guess from what I've read above that the series has turned into a $hitshow lawyer-fest. What a shame.

But before I go, I have a question: I thought I'd read somewhere that Comacho's Cabelleros ("Close Quarters", "Hearts of Chaos", etc.) had been killed in a nuclear strike, off-camera so-to-speak. I am a big Cabelleros fan and would like to know if anyone knows what novel alludes to this fate, if it is accurate. I've read everything (chronologically) up to "Endgame", and don't remember any reference to the use of nukes up to that point (Except for "Betrayal of Ideals", but that was in Clan space) . Did I miss it?