What are the rules on liberating countries and which provinces you need to control to do it?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alexvk3bqn

Sergeant
Aug 27, 2020
Is there a list of the provinces you need to control to liberate a country, and what are the rules?

I thought that it was tied to the list in the revolts.txt file, but it clearly isn't, because there are vast differences.

In examples from this game:-

1. America can release Italy with only 2 provinces, neither of them the capital, and neither with any victory points.

2. America can release the "Allied occupation Zone" with control of only 1 province.

And,

3. My personal favourite so far, and one I couldn't believe when I saw it, Australia can release the Netherlands with control of only the province of Eindhoven, while Germany still controls one province of it's original territory, and America controls all the others.

What are the rules about liberating countries?

Is there a list available that shows which provinces are needed?

Example 1. Italy as released by America, which controlled those 2 provinces. (I re-loaded the game after it did that.)

1649825317714.png

Example 2. The American released "Allied occupation zone".

1649825490507.png

Example 3. Australia controls 1 province from the Netherlands, and can release and puppet it from this position. How?

1649825648517.png

By that point I'd given up trying to work out what was going on or argue with it, so I just liberated it myself.

As I said, I thought the rules were somehow tied in to the list in revolts.txt, but that's clearly not even close to what the true requirements are.

I am very confused.

Alexvk3bqn.

The culprit is the 'min' parameter. From revolt.txt:
Code:
# min = X                              # Allows release if at least X provinces of minimum list are controlled by releaser country. By default (no min entry or min = -1) it is equal to provinces in minimum list.

Most of Central Europe uses this. The idea is, wherever the front line is when Germany is annexed, the USA will create white governments out of what she got and the USSR will create the red equivalents.

One upshot to how this works is the tiny 'American Italy' from ex1 or 'Antipodean Holland' from ex3 will automatically gain ownership of their cores whenever anyone in your alliance annexes Germany.

e.g.
Code:
 HOL = { # Netherlands
 date = { day = 0 month = january year = 1914 }
 expirydate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1999 }
 minimum = {
 122 123 119 124 120
 }
 min = 1
 extra = {
 125 118 121
 }
 claims = { 1761 1762 1999 } #Saba Island, Netherlands Antilles, Paramaribo
 capital = 122
 no = { GER }
 }

Edit: You need to deploy some garrison divisions for your air bases in occupied territory or you are going to get a very expensive surprise one of these days. Also, suppressing partisans will help keep your TC from being so overloaded.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response and the explanation.

I completely missed that when I was trying to work out what was happening.
That was careless of me, but I'm not very good at reading and understanding the coding,
My error.

That would also probably help explain why the results I was getting on the territory needed to release other countries were so widely variable.

I know I should be garrisoning airbases in enemy territory, but Australia tends to be chronically short of divisions, and any not already in combat were probably on the way or preparing.
All the units I'd borrowed from other countries were tied up as well.
In future I'll try to remember to borrow some militia units for garrisons as well as the combat divisions.
(I also tend to forget about that point because only one of the air units in Europe was under my control, a transport plane with a parachute division in position waiting to be used, so that base was protected.)

I suspect a large part of the TC loading was due to the number of combat units being "strategically re-deployed" to critical areas as soon as they were available for movement.

I'm also still trying to work out why some of the other problems I've had and have asked about have appeared only once, and I've never seen them since, but that's an on-going search in other areas.

Alexvk3bqn.